Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • overbraked??
  • bigyim
    Free Member

anyone ever feel that their brakes are too powerful for the bike they are on?
    I’ve got hope 6ti’s on my superlight and im scared its going to throw me over the bars everytime I pull the lever.

Northwind

Nope… But I can understand why people would.

martymac

nope, i think they are just right,
    however, quite a few non cyclists have tried my bike, and they always say holy sh*t when they use the brakes.
    i suppose it sort of depends on your point of reference.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Nope, mine seem to work just fine and dandy

hels
    Free Member

Thats not powerful it’s grabby. Me, I prefer some modulation. How big is your willie tho ?

growmac

Does seem to be what you get used to. However, I have noticed that mine are pretty grabby when going very slowly – <2 mph control is not great, it’s very binary. Worth it for high speed power though.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

In reality, isn’t true that brakes don’t stop your forward momentum, they just stop your wheels going round? It’s your tyres that stop you and if they aren’t hooking up the most powerful brakes in the world won’t help!
    Good braking is a combination of the brake system AND the right tyre IMO.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Not really. I have some Deore on my HT and they are quite chilled which is OK for the situations I get into on that bike – I could go back to 160mm on the front possibly. The Hayes on the FS are more pokey which is useful as speeds are higher. Some mental adjustment goes on switching between them.

Good braking is a combination of the brake system AND the right tyre IMO

And choosing good braking points on the trail. And holding good body position.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Well yes, but i meant the purely mechanical aspects rather than the ‘whole user experience’ 🙂

alpin
    Free Member

hmmm… i’m starting to feel that i’m underbraked with SLXs.

or maybe i’m just riding too fast at times.

the last three punctures have been on the front and each time the vale had ripped from the tube due to tyre rotating on the rim.

i sometimes feel i’m pulling the lever too hard and the bike/brakes are not responding, but in reality i’m skidding and sliding all over the place. not using shitty tyres either… feel the same whether i’m running Rubber Queens or Der Kaiser.

i want some Saint or R1 brakes, but that may have to wait for a while.

mboy
    Free Member

nope, i think they are just right,
    however, quite a few non cyclists have tried my bike, and they always say holy sh*t when they use the brakes.
    i suppose it sort of depends on your point of reference.

Likewise. Most people will brake with 2 or even 3 fingers on the lever. I brake with just my index finger on both hands and never any more. So I find my brakes nicely modulated and powerful enough, if you’re pulling them with 2 or even 3 fingers, I imagine they’d be too grabby for sure!

julianwilson
    Free Member

I think it’s tj that swears by smaller rotors so you really really cook your pads when you bed them in, reckons that increases pad life because they are always hot and therefore always got a nice hard glaze on.

Can’t really tell the difference between some brakes mesself. I think that provided they are bedded in properly, rotor size makes more difference; I could hardly tell the difference when I kept the same (180/203mm) rotors but ‘upgraded’ from deore M525’s to old style M800 saints.

robsoctane
    Free Member

1 finger braking on a HT with 203 Hope mono6ti like op. Perfection, love em. Tyres are Maxxis HR, BTW.

titusrider
    Free Member

Massive rotors on lightweight brakes works for me, marta sl with 203/185 on my 140mm full sus
    no such thing as over braked, just not going fast enough 😛

Russell96

Saint 4pots on 203/180mm Hope Floating rotors, eye popping shoulder dislocating power, bloody brilliant.

Northwind

alpin – Member

hmmm… i’m starting to feel that i’m underbraked with SLXs.

or maybe i’m just riding too fast at times.

the last three punctures have been on the front and each time the vale had ripped from the tube due to tyre rotating on the rim.

Doesn’t sound like your brakes are lacking if they’re spinning the tyres on the rim tbh!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘overbraked??’ is closed to new replies.