Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Over-specced "hack" bikes
  • aracer
    Free Member

I’ve been taking my old “hack” mountain bike on the school run this week, rather than my usual winter road bike. As I was picking it up from where I’d left it (unlocked), it struck me just how much of it was top of the range when new, even if it’s all now old – Dyna-Tech MT5 frame, Skareb Super fork, XTR rear mech and 8sp cassette, Ritchey WCS rims, SLR saddle, USE XCR post, niche FRM carbon bars. The XT brifters and front mech almost seem low spec.

It’s only really a hack bike because it was built up out of my cast-off bits (much of it hadn’t been used for several years, some for almost 10 years). Actually quite tempted to post a pic in the bike pron thread – the frame does have ti chainstays (it’s one of the glued ones with metal matrix main tubes), and is probably actually rarer than most on there.

So anybody else have a posh hack bike they’d like to share?

druidh
    Free Member

😳

wwaswas

Now running slicks and doing school run ‘around town’ duty 😳

I’ll probably put some proper tyres back on and use it off road in a few weeks, though.

sam_underhill

I’ve got an old XTR / XT mix on a Kona Kula primo as my hack. Currently with slicks so looks very odd. But some knobbly tires and a few PSI less in the fork and I’m sure it’ll be awesome on the singletrack again!

PJM1974
    Free Member

I bought an Orange Pure 7 frame as the basis for my commuter bike a couple of weeks ago…

…the ProII Evo / Mavic 719 wheels turn up later today.

Oops.

cookeaa

All comes down to what you consider to be a “Hack” I suppose – XTR, even old XT/XTR barely makes it onto my “Proper” bikes…

I don’t think I’d be comfortable riding too much money about though, too visible to thieving scum, and I’d be more concerned about damaging it…

Mike_D
    Free Member

Mine’s a 1992 Cannondale 3.0series with random stuff thrown at it. Some old — Control Tech seatpost, Race Face stem, Titec bars — some newish — 9spd Deore groupset. It’s mightily tatty but rides quite nicely 🙂

flange
    Free Member

I sold my (somewhat less than fantastic) Crank Bros Iodine wheels to a bloke who planned to commute on them….

D0NK

if you could fit guards I reckon this’d be a perfect hack bike.

🙂

My parts bin bike tends to be old XT stuff, but I wouldn’t really class it a hack bike.

I think to be a hack you have to be OK with leaving it locked up outside shop/work/elsewhere for more than a few minutes.

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve just finished putting a new hack together..

all the constituent parts are new (to me)

I will be installing a rack later today that will quadruple it’s value.. 😳

njee20
    Free Member

if you could fit guards I reckon this’d be a perfect hack bike.

I very seriously looked at one of those! Luckily they’d sold out of my size, looks the mutts!

aracer
    Free Member

All comes down to what you consider to be a “Hack” I suppose – XTR, even old XT/XTR barely makes it onto my “Proper” bikes…

I don’t think I’d be comfortable riding too much money about though, too visible to thieving scum, and I’d be more concerned about damaging it…

When I bought those XT and XTR bits (the XT stuff is over 15 years old) it was very affordable to an enthusiast on an ordinary wage – I always like to compare it to what people spunk on depreciation for boring new cars. How much is a 10 year old XTR mech actually worth? The thieving is an issue, which is what prompted me to think about what I had on this bike (though to the average thief, only the XTR mech and XT actually looks that interesting – and that’s assuming they know what XTR or XT means).

Forgot to mention that the winter road bike I dismissed at the start has Ultegra chainset and hubs and a posh Tubus rack 😉

D0NK

I very seriously looked at one of those!

yeah I saw it when you posted it a while back. I’d never spend that much on road bike and certainly not on one without gears, but if I was absolutely minted I would use it as a run around 🙂

edit> could do with square taper cranks for a bit more weather proofing too 🙂

whatnobeer
    Free Member

My fixed gear is an 08 Giant Bowery which has taken a fair amount of abuse. Its also managed to gain carbon bars, seat post and a fairly nice San Marco saddle. I just cant help but upgrade bikes, even if they’re just for commuting.

bob_summers

Used to commute on a Ti track frame, which a Czech national track (pursuit iirc) champ had ridden to several victories. His name was stamped on the BB but I can’t remember what it was. Talk about an ignominious end…

rossi46
    Free Member

Mines the GT

It was rescued from my cousins back garden in a right state- basically i kept the frame and wheels. Not sure what GT it is but it’s not far off a Zaskar.
    So i raided my spares box and the rest was ‘mates rates’. The bike is basically worth £60, but the spec is much better than the ‘cake shop’ bike that i intended it to be.

Rock Shox SID’s, XT drivetrain, Bontrager old type square taper cranks, Avid V brakes and levers etc.

So it has become my road bike- the frame is a bit large to ride off road, but its fine on tarmac. I can still lock it up at the shops without worrying too much though which is nice 😀

D0NK

Avid V brakes

look like shimano DXs to me 🙂

Is your rear light mounted high enough? Only ask coz i passed a guy last night, light hidden behind his crud guard – not much use there.

cardo

Rossi46…. I’ve often thought about fitting a loo, bath and washbasin in my shed too. 😉

_tom_
    Free Member

How about the hack bikes that aren’t nearly being used to their full potential. This was my “road” bike for a few months, it’s a trailstar 😮

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

D0NK, I cant see a crud guard, DX V brakes is correct 😛

Reckon its an Avalance.

convert

I rode my race bike to work (all 1/4 mile each way max) all last week as it was out to be tinkered with and easiest to grab. A touch overkill.

almost identical:-

Normal hack by is far more modest made up of old time served winter road trainer components …. with added brookes saddle….and grips…oh and a carbon USE flatbar….and quite pimp rims. yeah, its a bit daft too.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

My commuter/hack has some pimp going on

A re powder coated gunmetal Roadrat dressed in Ti Rc31’s, XTR cranks, Carbon bar, Hope Mono Mini’s, Thomson post, Mavic Speed city wheels.

MM

rossi46
    Free Member

look like shimano DXs to me

Well spotted- the front ones are Avids.

Is your rear light mounted high enough? Only ask coz i passed a guy last night, light hidden behind his crud guard – not much use there.

Mud guards? Perish the thought! Waterproof shorts/ trousers for me…

Rossi46…. I’ve often thought about fitting a loo, bath and washbasin in my shed too

I like to be organised 😆

No, my flat is real small so space is at a premium….

rossi46
    Free Member

Normal hack by is far more modest made up of old time served winter road trainer components …. with added brookes saddle….and grips…oh and a carbon USE flatbar….and quite pimp rims. yeah, its a bit daft too.

Now you’re just being silly 😆

Nice chariot though….

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

@convert, thats no where near over specced, now if it was the new P5 with hydraulic brakes and Di2, well then it would be. 😳

D0NK

I cant see a crud guard

Mud guards?

No the guy I saw last night had guards, can’t tell from your pic whether the light is below the height of the back wheel. Not a criticism it’s just having seen atleast 1 person who (presumably) didn’t realise their light wasn’t actually visible I thought I’d mention it.

mos

Yup, mine’a a 2000 Litespeed Toccoa (no longer ridden daily due to a preference for more than 50mm of travel) with RC31 ti’s & road wheels. Soon to have drops & BB5 road discs.
    Probably nearly £3k worth if it were new. 😳

rossi46
    Free Member

Not a criticism it’s just having seen atleast 1 person who (presumably) didn’t realise their light wasn’t actually visible I thought I’d mention it.

No criticism taken- just to mention that my light bracket was too big for the seatpost and being impatient i decided to just whack it on wherever it would fit 😀
    It does clear the back wheel quite nicely and i can also put a saddle pack on if i want- perfect for a big bag of Haribo’s 😛

I have nothing against mudguards by the way, i just tend to break them alot for some reason….

firestarter
    Free Member

Christ and I thought I was bad having 105 stis on my ss pompino as I liked the shape

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Over-specced "hack" bikes’ is closed to new replies.