• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by GEDA.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Over shoe or sock
  • spiderj
    Free Member

Could anyone tell me which is the best option to use with shorts on a wet muddy day on a trail or XC.

banks
    Free Member

Mtfu!

I just wear 2 pairs in cold & wet, one waterproof.

Carry a 2 spare pairs for longer rides 2hr+ rides, suits me fine in the peaks.

Also, bit of duct tape over the big vents on me shoes!

crikey
    Free Member

I’ve never yet found an overshoe that works 100% to keep out water, largely because of the big holes at the top and bottom. On a mountain bike you also tend to get the toe section riding up which again defeats the object.

I occsionally use an old pair of socks in a roadie style to keep the worst of the mud and grit out of my shoes and accept that my feet will get wet.

Garry_Lager

O/shoes are OK, good for keeping your feet warm if it’s very cold, but they don’t last very well on the MTB IME. Front gets chewed up when you’re off the bike, standing on rocks etc.

A good winter boot is really the answer – you’ll never look back. The black shimano ones are excellent, MW-somethings? Versatile to be worn year round if you like, let’s face it – we’re not short of wind, rain and mud in the UK.

Taff
    Free Member

Got endura MT500 and find them brilliant. No chewing of the front and are very warm but you may sweat if it gets a little too warm. Also prefer overshoes in the mud as I can’t always be bothered washing my shoes

spacemonkey

I’ve been wondering what to do this winter too.

Sealskinz and other so-called thermal/waterproof socks just don’t work for me. Dont’ want to splash out on a boot – plus I’ve heard negatives about them anyway. Overshoes looked like a happy medium but maybe not.

Am also thinking that it’s important to keep your toes moving. I’m sure a big contributor to my feet freezing in really conditions is that lack of movement/circulation. And thicker socks only make it worse. Hence thinking about shoes the next size up and spare socks.

spacemonkey

MT500

Don’t they split (like all Endura items) at the back pretty easily?

spacemonkey

Might now look to justify something like these.

dawson

I really suffered with cold feet last winter – it got to the stage where I was wearing 2 pairs of socks and then putting my feet inside sandwich bags before putting my shoes on – which still didn’t really work!

I’m about to push the button on some BBB overshoes on Wiggle, but can’t decide on whether to size-up to make sure they fit over my shoes!

Taff
    Free Member

Don’t they split (like all Endura items) at the back pretty easily?

I think your foot size depends a lot on how tight they are. I’m an 8.5 so mine aren’t a nightmare to get on. You still have to be careful putting them on as with any overshoe to make sure your toes are fully in before lifting the back up but I’m never had any problems. Had mine for 3 years and they’re still fine

rugbydick

I got some of the MT500 overshoes and the zip at the back of one of them split on the 2nd time out…

I’ve got Northwave Celsius Arctic’s now. Coupled with merino socks (Wooly Boolies), my feet may get wet but they have never been cold.

I might try taping the tops of the boots this winter though.

binners

I’ve tried a couple of sets of overshoes and found them universally crap. They never stay on when the going gets tough and mucky and feel like you’ve two great soggy sponges hanging off your feet when coated in crap.

Sealskins socks are one of mankinds finest inventions IMHO.

I keep promising myself some proper winter boots. And I will get a pair when I’ve got a spare £150 kicking about. I’m penciling them in for 2027

vorlich
    Free Member

Accept your feel will get wet – focus on keeping them warm – get some cheapo neoprene socks from ebay, couple with overshoes to deflect the worst of the wet

GEDA
    Free Member

Love overshoes. Not good at all for walking in. Does not matter about the water getting in that’s not the point. The point is to trap a warm layer of water. They cost £15. Mine last 2 years and wear them every week in the winter. If I was walking about on the then they tend to fall to bits though.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Over shoe or sock’ is closed to new replies.