Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Oval rings – recent 1x reviews
  • AlexSimon

Rather than debate the theory and talk about Biopace, I thought this could be a thread that gave ride impressions on the new batch of narrow-wide 1x oval rings that are surfacing.

Seems like a reasonably cheap and simple way to test it all out.

These are the ones that I know about:

Absolute black:

Bionicon’s B Lab:

Anybody running them?

DT78
    Free Member

No, but also interested in user feedback

mattjg
    Free Member

No, but I run a GoldTec Onekey on my SS, I’d do it on my geared bike if it fits and the RM can handle it.

Martin.B
    Free Member

Yes In running a 4 arm Absolute Black Oval – Running both either single speed or with a Internal gear Hub

The AB is propper lush, runs very smooth (smoother for me that the BETD One Key) Not tried any others

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

I’ve got one of the Absolute black ones on one of my bikes. I’ve only ridden it twice but I like it. Weirdly, if anything, it feels rounder than a round ring and after a few seconds isn’t noticeable unless you look down. Going back to a round ring afterwards you notice the tough spots that the oval ring is trying to eliminate.

jameso

Used Goldtec oval ring on my bike as SS (+2T over usual round ring) and geared options for 18 months or so. It does ‘add range’ to a gear ie at low RPM straining or near spin-out stage so I can see sense in popping one on a 1x bike, but the advantage I get on the SS imo is less pronounced when you can keep a reasonable cadence via the gears. For SSs they’re brilliant. I guess it depends how much hard climbing at low RPM you do with the gears you have. The theory makes sense to me anyway, having said all that a ride I did a while back with a triple didn’t feel any worse off for being back on round rings, with a wide range to cover all the climbs all was good.

AlexSimon

Interesting – thanks.
    I guess I’d be running a 30t round or a 32t oval, so maybe I would notice the difference – lots of very steel local climbs. I use my granny on a triple a lot.

robinlaidlaw – I guess that’s exactly what I was wanting to hear.

Anyone running full sus, oval and clutch? Any chain issues?

mattjg
    Free Member

On my SS the benefit I notice is when spinning up to attack a climb – it’s faster and smoother.

But I suspect there is a continuous JRA benefit, perhaps less noticeable.

The theory makes perfect sense to me – we evolved to step or run, not move our feet in perfect circles.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

Rode on one for about a year as a courier. Raved about it at the time, I think it was just the honeymoon of trying something new. Went back to a round ring afterwards and discovered I couldn’t spin properly.

I wouldn’t run one again.

Edit: Biopace. Realise that’s slightly different

mrblobby
    Free Member

Biopace very different and very wrong!

Got the AB one here, definitely think it helps reduce fatigue for long hard efforts. Think there is less benefit JRA, it’s really when you are pushing hard that you get the benefit. I’ve got the rotor ones on the TT bike and the AB one on the xc race bike. I’ve not bothered on the road bikes or the trail bikes.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Mine has been delivered to my parents in the UK and they’ll bring it over later this week, looking forward to trying it out on my MTB.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I’ve got an Absolute Black one waiting to go on my Stumpy hardtail, just need to get around to putting it on. Ditching the double so hope I’ve got the correct chainring (34t), get most places on the 38t outer but obviously I’ve reqd the granny on the longer steeper stuff.

Sundayjumper

Oval rings get “invented” and pushed by manufacturers every 20 years or so and have done pretty much ever since bikes first started using chains. They have never caught on. That should tell us something. A year or two and they’ll be gone again.

takisawa2

Goldtech here. Very happy. Been on there a couple of years.
    Bought from a tattooed chap from the North of Staffordlandshire.

ratherbeintobago

They have never caught on.

Didn’t Wiggo win the TdF with oval rings?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sundayjumper, I’m hoping everyone I race against feels the same way 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

They have never caught on.

They’ve caught on with me.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive been riding with Tazzys/Goldtec onekey for a year or so now, SS here on the malverns. Its a real boost for getting up some of the steeper stuff. Personally I dont see the point much when sat or on a geared bike, but SS it makes v good sense.

c_klein87

saying they’ve never caught on is a load of crap! have many pro’s use rotor chainrings?!!? I’ve used goldtec but they don’t play nice with clutch mechs, waiting for my AB ring

mattjg
    Free Member

I’ve used goldtec but they don’t play nice with clutch mechs, waiting for my AB ring

How are they different, that one works and the other doesn’t?

sandwicheater

Has everyone who has tried it gone up a cog size? I’m running 32t front cog. Tempted to go oval nw when this ring dies. Would 34t be the way to go?

c_klein87

chain growth is different between rings depending on profile

Clobber
    Free Member

How do the singlespeeders cope with the chain growth?

AlexSimon

Is there any chain growth for singlespeeders?
    If the rings are symmetrical, then surely your feeding the chain back at the same rate as your pulling it?

Or have I got that completely wrong?

mattjg
    Free Member

How do the singlespeeders cope with the chain growth?

Not clear on your question. The chain doesn’t grow. At any specific location, chain tension does vary throughout the pedal cycle, I set the chain slack to be acceptable at that point. It works.

The rule of thumb is to be able to spin about 2 crank rotations by hand. Less than that and the chain may be a bit tight.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Fitted one last night and on the spin round the block test it felt odd…..not nice odd neiver (luckily its not on my bike).

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Anyone heard about the DOVAL rings??

Was looking at the 110BCD 40t for the roadrat…

ndthornton
    Free Member

The rule of thumb is to be able to spin about 2 crank rotations by hand. Less than that and the chain may be a bit tight.

What does that mean?

so do you have to leave the chain slacker than you would normally to take up some slack at the worst point?

mattjg
    Free Member

It means you use the point of tightest chain as the benchmark to set the chain tension.

It’s possible with some rings the overall chain tightness varies throughout the cycle, with others perhaps chain tightness at one point (e.g. top) is counter balanced with looseness at another (e.g. below). I’m not sure, depends on the ring design I would think.

mattjg
    Free Member

BTW even with a round ring, tension usually varies throughout the cycle. It’s easy to observe if using a sprung tensioner, it moves.

Clobber
    Free Member

Any spiderless ovals to fit middleburn?

jameso

chain growth is different between rings depending on profile

The goldtec and AB rings are all about the same % oval so chain tension won’t vary between them. The main difference between them is where the max radius is in relation to the crank, it’s a bit later in the pedal stroke on the goldtec from what I can see, about 15 degrees past the others.

so do you have to leave the chain slacker than you would normally to take up some slack at the worst point?

Yes slacker when min radius is at ~90deg to the chain run / stay, same max tension when min radius is aligned with chain run / stay. Makes no difference overall though, still tight on the top when you pedal )

schmiken

It’s definitely caught on with me. There’s an interesting research paper written by someone showing that everyone can benefit from oval rings, regardless of ability. Not sure where I found it, but good writing nonetheless. She now works with Garmin-Sharp.

tazzymtb

Goldtec do a middleburn direct mount to replace an uno ring. With regards to ss set up, you adjust the tension when the drive side crank is in the 40clock position. This works a treat and stops any chain drop (same set up instrucrions for rotor, goldtec etc..) go up two teeth on the chain ring with an oval is the usual rule of thumb so if you ride a 32 round go 34 oval and so on.Any less and you dont get the benefit on a single speed of increased gear inch and cadence for the same “perceived” effort. Nothing is for free or magical it just doesn’t feel as hard and that on an ss makes a big mental difference on a gurn or bust climb

jameso the goldtec is the equivalent of postion 2 on a rotor q ring which sewms to work best with a singlespewd set up for moat folks. Certainly when I was running the prototype rings it was the best compromise for a range of bikes. I guess having adjustable postion falls perilously close to legal Issues with rotor

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I used a Qring for about a year on the MTB, didn’t feel very smooth when pedalling, almost like a step machine. Didn’t notice any benefits, gone back to a round ring.

jameso

There’s an interesting research paper written by someone showing that everyone can benefit from oval rings, regardless of ability

I’d guess how well you get on with them depends on your natural pedaling style, some don’t seem to feel any benefits and they seem to be the more smooth, fluid high-cadence riders. Strong low-cadence riders or clumsy mashers seem to like them more.

Tazzy, seems you got it right, I like where the goldtec puts the crank at the 36T radius. The others peak a bit sooner. Can’t remember where I read about leverage vs leg-speed / momentum (something you linked to / sent maybe) but it made a good argument for the max radius being later in the down-stroke, paticularly for stood-up climbing.

AlexSimon

Interesting about cadence/smoothness.
    I’m definitely higher cadence than the people I ride with, but don’t know whether that automatically translates into smoothness. Although the reason I spin, is to make technical sections easier, so perhaps it does.

rsvktm

Got an Absolute black chain ring as a birthday present a few months ago in a 32, now have another one in 34 for xc race bike. Really rate it for my riding, works especially well at climbing low cadence in slippy conditions. No issue as yet on both a 100 mm FS with a clutch mech and a hardtail without a clutch, not dropped a chain yet.
    I felt it is a distraction initially but soon went away and I have no problems swapping onto normal now.
    I am fairly low cadence and don’t spin through techy sections more tick tock.

Gotama
    Free Member

Always struggled a bit with chain retention with my Goldtec ring. Set it up verging on ‘kin tight when the cranks at 4 but when pedalling over off camber-y rooty stuff the chain kept jumping off. Maybe the ebb was slipping or something, might try it again.

AlexSimon

no problems swapping onto normal now

Yes, I hadn’t thought of that. I’ll only be 1x on one bike – leaving 2 other bikes with round rings.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Oval rings – recent 1x reviews’ is closed to new replies.