Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Our website, what do you think
  • sirichmond
    Free Member

Hello,

Just letting you know about our website, let me know what you think.

http://www.allthegearnoidea.net

Ta

wombat

Nicely put together, where in N Yorks are you all based?

nbt

Nice, but lose the checkered background, makes me feel sick trying to read the text on it

MtbCol
    Free Member

Nice and well thought out.
    Good reports on the rides too, I thought.

I might have to cadge along on a ride sometime 🙂

sirichmond
    Free Member

All based in York, yeah we are going to arrange a ride every month for anyone to come along, More the merrier

wombat

Good stuff, I've registered for your newsletter so keep me posted & I'll try to make it to one of your rides in the not too distant future

steve_b77
    Free Member

Nice site, slightly bigger text or a more friendly background?

sirichmond
    Free Member

ta for comments and will post Novembers ride date soon

devs
    Free Member

I was put off by the background and the fact that the first thing I saw was a paypal begging button. The next thing I saw was "6 friends having fun" and thought they're having a laugh – they want me to sponsor their mountain biking???? It put me off reading any more so I think a wee layout adjustment is required.

sirichmond
    Free Member

ha, I agree and its only on there to get the other lads to put there hands in there pockets and cough up some cash towards the hosting fees, its not meant for anyone else to provide. Sorry about that. It is coming off soon.

sirichmond
    Free Member

It has been removed now and email sent out to the relevant cheap skates. though thanks for pointing that out.

theflatboy
    Free Member

the default width could be a lot wider, if you ask me. and then you could make the whole top bar larger so easy to read. and lose the chequered background – everything on top of it is virtually illegible.

sirichmond
    Free Member

Will have another look at the checker background then. Width is just set to that so it still fits nicely on a 800×600 resolution, which unfortunately many people still use.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Too garish for my liking. All strong colours, red, black, white. Too much contrast between them. Could do with toning down, or introducing more colour into it. Just looks a little bit GCSE project. (Just my opinion, I might be wrong)

sirichmond
    Free Member

Thanks for that, only spent 6 weeks doing it after work. Anyway I like garish colours, have you seen the colour schemes on bikes these days. Mind you if you think i'm good enough for a GCSE in web design I think I will take it.

On another note I have toned down the checkered backround, looks a lot better on my monitor but some feedback on this would be appreciated.

nbt

Width is just set to that so it still fits nicely on a 800×600 resolution, which unfortunately many people still use.

We've moved to 1024 * 768 as a default. Not that many on 800*600 any more

sirichmond
    Free Member

When intially looking at doing the the website I was searching around on the internet trying to find info on what screen res was most popular and advice seemed to be to still design for 8×6. Did try it at 1024×768 but did not seem to have enough info to fill a page if you know what I mean.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i reckon even 1024 is too narrow, but would be better. anyway, as far as filling the page goes, i personally think it's all too small and hard to read on the dimensions you've got, so would benefit from being enlarged, hence no content issue.

theflatboy
    Free Member

but good move on removing the chequering, it looks much better now.

stevomcd
    Free Member

sirrichmond:

I designed our website so that it was still usable on 800×600. Two years on and Google Analytics is telling me that the number of people who have accessed our site using that resolution is…..

…… wait for it…….

…… drum roll ……

ZERO.

I am switching to a bigger default width as soon as I can find the time!

The only thing that concerns me is that there's a small, but increasing, %age using very small resolutions (like 350×200), which I'm guessing is Iphones, PDA's, etc. Need to have a think about that.

HTTP404
    Free Member

Is this Russell Brand?

sirichmond
    Free Member

Indeed it is, or it was for one night only. Fancy dress and Marc worked it to a tee.

Re small resolutions, my site is just navigatable on my Nokia phone so unsure how it would look at 1024

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Our website, what do you think’ is closed to new replies.