Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)
  • OTT Climbing: Quickdraw Question
  • alexxx
    Free Member

My local climbing spot in France appears to be a big rock with lots of bolts in which is aceee! but it means I’m going to need some quickdraws- does anyone have any recommendations of what to go for or what to avoid and any specific tips thats useful to know?

ianv
    Free Member

Just buy a set of 10 from decathlon.

highclimber
    Free Member

for sport climbing it doesnt make much difference what you get but I personally would go for Wiregate krabs. Wild country do some nice ones. This is because if you take a fall the rope runs over the krab and causes it to vibrate and with alloy gated krabs the gate can ‘flutter’ open and close very quickly and if the rope happens to land with your weight on it in an open position, you could potentially break the krab.

Most off the shelf QD have a loose end and a fixed krab (using a rubber retainer). this makes it easier to clip if you have the loose end to the bolt and the fixed for the rope. only use one end for the rope and one end for the bolt – do not change these around as the bolt can cause burrs on the soft alloy that can damage the sheath of the rope.

HTH

Kendal
    Free Member

This comes up time and again on UKC. Do a search on their Rocktalk or Gear forums.

paulo123
    Free Member

Got some quickdraws ive never used if you’re interested in buying them. Fancied climbing a while back but never got round to it, they are Wild Country Blaze I think, 5 of them?

Cougar

Get as many as you’re going to need plus a couple. If you run out halfway up a pitch, you’ll be leaving the top one behind.

If you’re not used to carrying a rack, get the lightest you can afford. Practice using them at a climbing wall before using them outside.

BadlyWiredDog

Rock and Run used to do some good deals on multiple quick-draw sets with biners, worth a look. Second what Highcklimber says about wire gates at the rope end.

matt_outandabout

^ wat Cougar says, and buy much cheapness from outside
    http://www.outside.co.uk/shop/climbing/karabiners/karabiners-quickdraws-packs

matt_outandabout

And the old ‘fluttering gate’ is over hyped IMO, user error is far more common an issue with any climbing kit than some issue of failure.

nedrapier

Don’t quite get this:

Practice using them at a climbing wall before using them outside.

If you mess up 5 metres above the deck, you’re 5 metres above the deck whether you’re inside or outside. Why not just practice on some easy stuff? Cheaper, too.

Cougar

And the old ‘fluttering gate’ is over hyped IMO

Yeah, I remember that being headline news a while back. TBH, whilst it’s a real issue, in the big long list of “things that might kill you when climbing,” it’s probably just above “attacked by passing geese.”

meeeee
    Free Member

^ what matt says, i’ve had big falls on non wire gates loads of times and never had a problem.

Only times (twice) i’ve seen any probs with quickdraws is where it unclipped in a fall due to the gate being on the wrong side – i mean eg where the route moves up and slightly left and you clip the draw with the (lower) gate being on the left as well. If you do this it can unclip if you fall, so usually best to have the gate oppisite to the lateral direction the climb goes. If that makes sense 😀 And as matt says above thats user error not design.

molgrips
    Free Member

whilst it’s a real issue, in the big long list of “things that might kill you when climbing,” it’s probably just above “attacked by passing geese.”

Hmm.. yes. seems odd to quibble over such minor possibilities, when the person holding your life in their hands is using a non-failsafe device that is very easy to mis-use.

ianv
    Free Member

£6.99 a pop at decathlon so way cheaper than Outside. Seriously, all decent brands will hold falls and the wire gates are no better to clip so why pay more?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

when the person holding your life in their hands is using a non-failsafe device that is very easy to mis-use.

Not a climber Mol?? 😆

matt_outandabout

Hmm.. yes. seems odd to quibble over such minor possibilities, when the person holding your life in their hands is using a non-failsafe device that is very easy to mis-use.

What, like their attention span…. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Done a bit of climbing in my time, and no, I’ve never seen anyone being dropped by their belay.

However it doesn’t make any sense. There are failsafe devices around, people don’t use them because they apparently don’t think it’s important.

What, like their attention span….

Zackly.

alexxx
    Free Member

thats guys very useful been having a big read on UKC, going for some wiregates, i’ll see whats in stock locally.

Whilst browsing I noticed some Via Ferrata gear, I understand the device is only rated for 1 fall.. does that mean you need to take some spares such as a second set and a rope / clips incase you need to change it?

alexxx
    Free Member

thanks*

meeeee
    Free Member

AFAIK some via ferrata kit can be re-set. These ones have the rope passing through a metal ‘braking’ device, eg Petzl Zyper. (not 100% certain about this though)

If it has any part of it designed to reduce the fall arresting force by ripping stitching, then these aren’t re-settable, so i guess you just take extra care on the rest of the route or retreat off somehow 😆

Needlesports has a bit of info on their site.

http://www.needlesports.com/catalogue/content.aspx?con_id=d7376987-c60a-437e-a15a-9c9e00a6a466

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Rock-Climbing-Equipment/Via-Ferrata

Cougar

There are failsafe devices around, people don’t use them because they apparently don’t think it’s important.

Sorry, that’s not true.

People don’t use them because a) they’re six times the price of a regular device, b) they can be difficult to control accurately, and c) it’s incredibly easy to override the failsafe if you panic (in a similar manner to how many people instinctively press the brake pedal harder when their car wheels lock and skid).

Counter-intuitively, in the wrong hands the ‘failsafe’ devices are more dangerous than conventional belay devices. They’re getting increasingly popular with novices (I was at North West Face at the weekend and one of their staff had a group of kids using Gri-gris) and it gives me the fear.

Personally, I like them and use them. But there’s no way I’d let anyone in my care near one until they could belay with their eyes closed (and know not to).

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

For single pitch bolted sports climbing you’ll also need a med length sling and a couple of screwgates to secure yourself at the top chain when threading the rope for lowering off.

alexxx
    Free Member

Thanks guys great info, helpful when paired with my other readings! yep a sling sounds like a great idea as the scariest bit sounds like the threading! thanks for the info re safety devices as well

highclimber
    Free Member

Whilst browsing I noticed some Via Ferrata gear, I understand the device is only rated for 1 fall.. does that mean you need to take some spares such as a second set and a rope / clips incase you need to change it?

no, if you fall far enough to engage the shock absorber, you retire it regardless of the type.

top tip – don’t fall!

molgrips
    Free Member

Cougar I wasn’t talking about Grigris.

Yes they are not 100% failsafe, of course, but even 50% failsafe is better than 0%.

Your argument is like saying that helmets are bad because they make you take more risks.

I’d far rather a novice belay me on a grigri than simply explaining them how a traditional device works and hoping they do it right. No other dangerous sport is this cavalier about safety. Look at all the hoops you have to go through to scuba dive for instance.

highclimber
    Free Member

I’d far rather a novice belay me on a grigri than simply explaining them how a traditional device works and hoping they do it right

most indoor accidents are caused by bad belaying and semi auto belay devices like the GriGri account for more of these than traditional belay devices due to people relying on them too much and not explaining how they work properly. I have witnessed poor belaying with one of them on more than a handfull of instances!

meeeee
    Free Member

Thanks guys great info, helpful when paired with my other readings! yep a sling sounds like a great idea as the scariest bit sounds like the threading!

Threading is relatively simple, but how you do it can depend on the type of lower off.

Heres what i do:

1) clip into lower off with cows tail or a couple of extenders
    2)if someone else is going to lead the route – just clip 2 draws into the lower off, snap gates are fine, just oppose the gates, or use screwgates if you feel the need, then just lower off these. If no one else is doing the route then…
    3)DONT UNTIE YET!
    3a) If you know you definately you have at least a couple metres of spare rope and the lower off is large enough to get a bight of rope through (eg a ring on a chain, or large staples (not bolt hangers!), ), then pass a bight through the lower off, tie a fig 8 in it and clip into a screw gate on your harness belay loop. Then untie your original fig 8 knot and pull the free end through. The rope should now go up from the bottom, through lower off and to your fig 8 on a bight clipped to harness. You’ll have quite a long tail but dont worry, then just lower off.

3b) if you havent got much spare rope, or cant pass a bight through the lower off,eg if its small staples, or a maillon then..
    Pull up a bit of rope and tie an overhand on a bight and clip this anywhere on your harness, gear loop is ok, this stage is to prevent you losing the rope if you drop it at the next stage!
    Make sure you are happy with cows tail, etc. Untie fig 8 you tied at the bottom, then pass the end through the the lower off and retie into harness with fig 8 as normal. If you drop the rope at this point the bit you clipped in to your harness before stops you losing the rope. Once tied in with the fig 8, untie the overhand you clipped to the harness and lower off.

other things:
    Always check lower off is ok. If its bolt hangers connected by a chain then i always check the bolts are tight (if you climb a lot you’ll find a fair few that have loose bolt heads. Just tighten them up by hand if neccesary).
    Also check any maillons are done up, most are glued shut when the lower off is originally placed.

never thread directly through bolt hangers (ie not staples), it’ll trash your rope as the are too sharp.

If the lower off is 2 anchors connected by a chain, make sure you thread the chain correctly, usually theres a ring in the middle of it. NEVER JUST PASS THE ROPE BEHIND THE CHAIN – if one bolt fails and you do this the rope will pull out of the lower off. Always take a few seconds to assess the lower off (and the bit you are threading the rope through) and ask ‘what will happen if either of the bolts fail’

Dead easy once you’ve done it a few times! Apologies if you already knew all of this 😳

useful info and pics here…
    http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=265
    http://www.thebmc.co.uk/Feature.aspx?id=2008
    http://www.thebmc.co.uk/Feature.aspx?id=2766

ianv
    Free Member

Do not use via ferrata stuff for sport climbing. It is not designed to take the dynamic forces created by a biggish fall.

Where abouts in France are you, out of interest.

Cougar

Cougar I wasn’t talking about Grigris.

Sorry; what were you talking about then?

Your argument is like saying that helmets are bad because they make you take more risks.

If you actually believe that then you’ve misunderstood me.

I’d far rather a novice belay me on a grigri than simply explaining them how a traditional device works and hoping they do it right.

Well, I wouldn’t do either of those things, I’d have a novice belaying under supervision, possibly with a third roped in if they’re really unsure, until they proved competent. Sure as hell wouldn’t be giving someone a Grigri and going “off you go mate, you’ll be right.”

Compensating with gear for a lack of ability is a fast-track to being a statistic.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

To reiterate what meee says about not threading bolt hangers, don’t ever, ever, bloody anything, ever, be tempted by threading tape or anything else thru. The friction caused by you lowering off a bolt hanger, for example, will cut thru tape or rope like butter. I’ve seen people do it once or twice when they’ve got stranded half way up, presumably not wanting to abandon a biner or quickdraw, they’ve threaded tape or a sling thru the bolt hanger and then threaded the rope thru the tape or sling to lower off. After retrieving a sling once for some blokes (quite a thick sling by modern standards) it was almost completely cut thru after just a 25m lower off.

molgrips
    Free Member

Compensating with gear for a lack of ability is a fast-track to being a statistic.

I think you mis-understand me.

Almost any dangerous activity has fail-safe characteristics designed into the equippment, as I am sure you know. This is because however competent people are, there are always problems. If for instance I pass out whilst using a hedge trimmer, I let go of it and it stops, rather than keeping going and sawing through my leg.

If ANYTHING happens to my belay, he loses consciousness, gets hit on the head by a rock, needs to scratch his arse, starts daydreaming after standing there for 40 mins whilst I fanny about, he’s adjusting his hand position at the wrong time – and I fall, I’m toast. This is bonkers.

Sorry for the bigness, but this is what I have:

It’s a bit trickier to pay out, to be fair, but I reckon the trade-off is worth it. Unfortunately most climbers don’t agree…

And clearly, I’m not advocating substituting anything for ability.

antigee

other things:

a few
    make sure the belayer knows you plan on lowering off – this is the norm in european sports climbing but a belayer may assume you intend to rap the route and stop belaying especially if they are american or more trad than sport

always always always tie in a knot in the end of the rope at the belayers end – it is very easy to misjudge pitch length and a 60m rope on a 35m route will prove fatal

grigris are far from fool proof and need more skill to use safely than other belay devices – which also require skill

j_me
    Free Member

Learn how not to reverse clip.
    Oh you might want to pick up one or two longer quickdraws to reduce drag in cases where the routes aren’t straight up and down or there are some roofs/overhangs.

alexxx
    Free Member

thanks guys and for the links and in depth details ect- ian via f was a different convo just interested in doing it also oh and im in Morzine 🙂

ant- when you say tie a knot in the belayers side of the rope would you do a rough measure of rope length in your hands to make sure it was long enough for the climb but short enough to be effective when tying the not if the belayer failed to act?

j_me
    Free Member

Tie your belayer on. Job done.

matt_outandabout

SRC’s – I have 12 of them at work. With the *slightest* of wear and a wet rope (Edelrid 10.5’s) they slip like an ATC…
    GriGri – the old ‘panic-pull-release’ issue still is there.
    Look at Edelrid Eddy – I have one and it seems to address the issues of the above two.
    We increasingly use ATC guides / Wild Country VC Pro type device.
    We also use italian hitches on crate climb, high ropes, tree climbs and rock climbs.
    For peer belaying with newbies, good instruction and vigilance is the key. We must have 2500+ first timers per year belay and as yet I have had two incidents (no injury) in 15 years…

meeeee
    Free Member

always always always tie in a knot in the end of the rope at the belayers end – it is very easy to misjudge pitch length and a 60m rope on a 35m route will prove fatal

God yeah forgot that one, and i have first hand experience of it happening. Was being lowered on route just under 40m high with only a 60m rope. There was an intermediate lower off i was aiming for, and literally as i grabbed the chain of this lower off the end of the rope went through the grigri 😯 So yeah, always always tie a knot in the end!

Also useful to carry a couple of maillons with you on routes, or old screwgates, in case you have cant reach the belay and have to lower off a bolt on the route, or for if the ones on the lower off look exceptionally worn.

Cougar

I think you mis-understand me.

Ah, seems I may do. Sorry, it’s just an all too common occurrence.

However, re: the SRC, I’ve never used one but I wasn’t aware that it was a ‘failsafe’ device; I was under the impression that its raison d’etre was to reduce shock in the system during a fall, and require less strength to lock off. Is that not the case?

Cougar

GriGri – the old ‘panic-pull-release’ issue still is there.

Yup. The other gotcha is grabbing the body of the device, which has much the same effect.

For peer belaying with newbies, good instruction and vigilance is the key.

This.

Cougar

Sorry, I missed hitting [Send] on a reply back there ^^

If you mess up 5 metres above the deck, you’re 5 metres above the deck whether you’re inside or outside. Why not just practice on some easy stuff? Cheaper, too.

a) You’re not spending a valuable day out of your holiday learning to use the equipment.

b) It’s a controlled environment. If you want to practice, you can climb six feet, lock off, and sit there clipping all day until you’re good at it. If you do develop acute bottle failure, someone else can go and retrieve your stranded gear. If you deck, help will be immediate (and in English).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘OTT Climbing: Quickdraw Question’ is closed to new replies.