Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • OT: Swapping processors on a linux machine
  • dan1980
    Free Member

I need to upgrade a PC running a 32bit linux OS with more memory and a faster processor.

Can I just yank the existing CPU out and put a new one in, in the same way you can with Windows? Or do I need to do something fancy?

Upgrade is a P4 640 (Single core) to a P D950 (duel core) – Motherboard is compatible apparently

BoardinBob

Even doing it on Windows usually requires a re-install. Linux may be easier but I’ve never had a straight swap on a windows machine that didn’t require in install.

samuri
    Free Member

You won’t get the benefit of a 64 bit processor using a 32 bit OS.
    Download a 64 bit version and re-install.

bazzer
    Free Member

Yes it should be fine. In fact Linux auto-detects a lot better than windows so swapping boards can sometimes be seamless.

If you are not installing more than 4BG of RAM then the 32 bit install will be fine.

dan1980
    Free Member

I’m not planning on making any use of the 64 bit features of the CPU as the software we’re running on the machine is 32 bit.

The swap is purely to increase the speed of the PC as much as the hardware will allow as we can’t change the computer (Software locked to the mac address of the integrated network)

I’ve never had a problem swapping CPUS around on Windows machines as I’ve just run Sysprep before the change, but because linux seems more picky hardware wise, I have a sneaking suspicion that it won’t be so easy! 🙂

xiphon
    Free Member

1. Backup /home/ (and any other directories you may have created yourself – /media/music for example) .tar it, to keep permissions.
    2. Download 64bit version of your distribution.

3. Install new version – keep same username + password as before.

4. Restore /home/ as root, and remember to retain permissions upon untar (can’t remember if it’s a default option).

5. Emjoy your new 64bit PC!

*alternatively*

select the SMP kernel for your distribution – dual-core CPU = SMP kernel (IIRC)

bazzer
    Free Member

Will depend on how old your current kernel is. If its reasonably upto date it will have SMP(dual core) support as standard.

grahamb
    Free Member

You should be fine. If you were swapping out the whole mobo + CPU to current flavours (say going from P4 to i7) & you’re on an older kernel i’d suggest upgrade. A P4 era kernel won’t have full support for the i7 CPU & mobo features. But if i read you right & you’re just upgrading the CPU you should be ok.

As bazzer said, if you’re not installing more than 4G memory you’ll be ok from the memory side.

dan1980
    Free Member

Cheers for the help 🙂

zokes
    Free Member

(Software locked to the mac address of the integrated network)

Make a note of said MAC address, and spoof it on a new machine. Job done…

anjs
    Free Member

you will need the clean the cooler and repally thermal paste on the new cpu

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘OT: Swapping processors on a linux machine’ is closed to new replies.