Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • OT Old Climbing Equipment
  • GrahamA
    Free Member

I know this may not be the best place to ask but I know a few climbers hang out on here…

I’m thinking of getting rid some old climbing kit that I don’t use any more. Most of the hardware is about 10 -15 years old and some is much older. I guess the hardware is OK but does anybody have any options on the software as I have three ropes and lots of sings and extenders.

Are old ropes and slings considered to be usable/saleable or am I better of just putting the metal work on EBay?

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

I wouldn’t trust the ropes anymore

splatz
    Free Member

or the slings or extenders……

andywhit
    Free Member

LOL @ the username!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Second what Steve-Austin says mate. I think selling second hand ropes, especially old ones is a bit of a No-no. I wouldn’t touch them with yours (nothing personal) if I saw them for sale. Whatever about the gear, which sounds like it’s fine, ropes do degrade over time, even if not used….unless they’ve been hermetically sealed in the dark somewhere. I even change my wall rope every year (partly because I get bored of looking at the same colour all the time though..).

tlr

I personally don’t think that you should in all good conscience sell any climbing gear that is that old, and certainly not the software. Most manufacturers suggest that 4 to 6 years is the safe age for software even if never used and stored in a dry, cool, dark place.

The hardware will probably be OK, but I’d guess that most climbers would steer clear of it at that age anyway so only beginners would buy it, and they probably aren’t best placed to make an informed opinion of its safeness.

Ask on http://www.ukclimbing.co.uk for more opinions, but I think that 15 years old is too old to be safe. Plas y Brenin did some tests on ropes a lot newer than 15 years with some scary results (broke after 1 fall rather than the specified 7 or 8).

Probably not what you wanted to hear, sorry.

bruneep

I sold my old ropes to some guys from the local diving club for beer tokens, think they used them for guiding them down to a wreck or something like that.

brack
    Free Member

Me me me me

Yes I will have that lot….and don’t worry I have masses of new gucci climbing kit so I wouldn’t be using it for climbing.

I plane to use it to for decorative purposes only….

brack
    Free Member

Sorry excuse my sp mistakes…was in a rush to type.

We are involved within a youth wing (have a small cottage up in S Wales)and it would be fantastic on the walls…to wow and inspire.

Where are you?

GrahamA
    Free Member

Ok, thanks for the advice, I’ll dispose of the ropes and slings.

Brack

If you are really interested I have some Tricams which have only ever been used for decoration, a drilled troll concentric hex and some old nuts which although I’d be happy to use as I know there history other people may not be so happy.

Email if you are interested.

bruneep

That is a really good idea.

brack
    Free Member

YGM

DrJ

My old rope is kept for emergency abseiliing from the top floor of the house in case of fire 🙁

coffeeking
    Free Member

I have an old (10 year old) harness I’ve used twice and has since been kept in its bag in a wardrobe – would it be considered safe still? I can see no reason for it to degrade without UV/damp? Not considering selling it, just actually using it again partly for wall use and partly as a safety item when working on the roof of a mates flat (5 floors up). I asked some climbers and they seemed to think yes, but I like a wide opinion

Surfr
    Free Member

I’ve got a 11mm rope, couple slings, fig 8, belay device, quick draw, rack of small/medium nuts sitting in a box. Would love to hear how I might use them for a non-climbing purpose. I think they must all be past their best-used-by date. Bought around ’95

brack
    Free Member

Surfr sounds like Im on the scrounge which I am….if there’s anything you don’t want or are going to throw away..I would be greatful for anything you may have.

Dropleaf ( bruneep) has kindly given me his stuff.

As described in my earlier post…it would be used for decorating the walls of the outward bound cottage / securing kit in the kit store etc

I will of course pay postage.

Surfr
    Free Member

Let me take a look and get back to you. I’m wondering if I can use it for anything ingenious at home first 🙂

brack
    Free Member

No worries….. 😆

Im near to the laptop all day as I should be studying for a medical exam on Monday.

Could you email me at

tryfan71 at gmail dot com

Cheers

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

coffeeking, I reckon it would be absolutely fine. I’ve only just replaced my harness which was over ten years old, use thrice weekly indoors and a bit every spring/summer outdoors. There was nothing actually wrong with it, I just thought…Hmmm, £50 for a new harness versus a fall?

stonemonkey
    Free Member

yeah would stay clear of the ropes and even gear for climbing purposes myself as for harness i would like to remind you all of Todd Skinners death

matt_outandabout

Agree with above commments – 10-15 is a looooong time, even if minimal used. UV damage can be far worse than falls/wear.

I would bin/sell to a canoeist (weuse our old kit for rescue and tow / lashings, and have a couple of shiny new bits for critical rescue.)

Sandwich

Problem with an old harness is that your partners safety is also compromised. Failure under a fall load when you are belaying, I refused to climb with one club member as he was wearing a Whillans Harness (2 years ago)!!
    Manufacturers state 10 years life for software if stored dry and dark. This is to comply with PPE regs, you can use it for longer but small amounts of damage can greatly degrade the strength.

Surfr
    Free Member

I think I’ll keep ahold of it for winching and maybe hoisting bikes up out of the way in the shed. I’ll cut through everything else so noone is tempted to use in future.

GrahamA
    Free Member

So is the consensus that the hardware is OK but all the software is only fit for handing on the wall?

Surfr
    Free Member

I read it as both are probably not worth risking you life over for a few hundred quid.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with hardware if sound. Despite all the worriers. no one will want your ropes though although lorry driver like them as do farmers, 4wders , paddlers and kids who make swings. I use them to tow trees out the woods. ukclimbing.com is like here but even whingyier

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘OT Old Climbing Equipment’ is closed to new replies.