Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • OT: Closde Cell Foam
  • matt_outandabout

Anyone here use closed cell foam packaging at work? Looking to get hold of some offcuts/slabs….

It is the ‘good’ grey/swirly colour closed cell foam I need, not cheap builders poly / insulation.

b1galus
    Free Member

I have some slabs of that at work roughly the size of a sit mat

matt_outandabout

ace, where are you and what kind of thickness are they?

b1galus
    Free Member

i’m in edinburgh and i’ll measure them tomorrow if they are any good how much/many do you need ?

matt_outandabout

As many as you have… 🙂

Can organise pick up as well.

HermanShake
    Free Member

What you doing with it?

b1galus
    Free Member

ok i’ll have a look tomorrow

matt_outandabout

What you doing with it?

HermanShake
    Free Member

That’s some serious open boating! Where are you paddling?

matt_outandabout

I have a ‘mentor’ who reckons I should be doing this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/matt_outandabout/4895042974/in/set-72157624718085888

HermanShake
    Free Member

That’s pretty f*cking mentorl. I’m learning to surf at the moment and that’s hard enough. I’ll keep that in mind next time it gets rough “at least I’m in a kayak”.

I do like a bit of canoe action, I just haven’t got the time to commit to being good yet.

b1galus
    Free Member

ok the size is 63cmx45cm and 15mm thick any good

maccruiskeen

If you can’t get the right size offcuts paulamar near Glasgow/ lenzie supply all that sort of stuff. I’ve got lots of bits of inch thick stratocell kicking about in the back of my van if that’s any use- making it’s way from fife to wester Ross tomorrow night.

jonb
    Free Member

Who’s your mentor? Used to know a few people who paddled C1 and OC1.

Guy from uni still makes them (c1) http://www.shaggydesigns.com

There was a well known coach around the North East who used to open boat (Ken Hughes? I think).

I never really understood it. I prefered tow blades as it gave more support and power, also a damn sight easier to roll when the inevitable happened.

Just noticed that was the Etive. Nice run that, only done it once with a couple of locals after a training course. They were in Creek boats, I was in my playboat. I ran it all blind without inspection (just going off their instruction) as it was going dark. Scared me a bit!

CAn’t help you on the foam although canoe shops often have it at ridiculous prices.

ukriversguidebook as always may have the answer.

matt_outandabout

bigalus – that would be great, how many can I have and can I pick em up in a week or so as we are heading towards the ‘burgh midweek for work…?
    maccruiskeen – I think the stuff you have is quite soft…? Not sure it would last for long (but you may correct me – I am not a foam expert)….
    jonb – Mark Vasby-Burnie, one of my staff at work. Paddled with Ken a couple of times. We have 3 of these beasts between colleagues, and another one due, plus a b*st*rd child of an Old Town 119 and an OC1 mad boat… It is a challenge – means I can ‘push it’ without being on stupidly hard water. Rolling my Prophet seems as easy as – it is so banana shaped, it wont sit upside down – I can skull it up. The foam is to fill in the sides more as it takes on a fair chunk of water if you roll..I can do the ‘fainting goat’ I discovered last week to great effect.. http://canoemovie.amongstit.com/?tag=oc1

matt_outandabout

ukriversguidebook as always may have the answer.

Aye, everyone asks there, and it gets snaffled quick…

b1galus
    Free Member

i reckon there are thirty or so there is some thinner stuff as well . aye when you are down give me a nod and i’ll sort them out

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘OT: Closde Cell Foam’ is closed to new replies.