Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • OS Maps on Garmin 800 probs
  • carbonfiend
    Free Member

Following all the instructions as already posted but can’t seem to get file from SD card onto unit ? The problem seems to start from when I download the gmapsupp.zip file I don’t seen to be able to then open it and extract what’s in there, when I try it comes up as a PDF file that says is unsupported, am I making some kinda schoolboy error here ?

zilog6128

Where did you get the file from? I take it you mean OSM rather than OS?

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Yeah sorry got it from here garmin.openstreetmap.nl

andytherocketeer

should just unzip the .zip file and there’ll be a gmapsupp.img file inside

on older garmins, you just copy it on the SD card (or internal memory, I assume, if no SD card slot?) in to a folder named Garmin
    on newer ones, they may be able to understand more than one map file? (not sure).

zilog6128

As above, should be pretty simple. Is there something up with your computer that is preventing it from handling zips properly? Can you right click on the zip and choose to extract it, or open it manually from WinZIP or something?

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Trying right click extract now as it just keeps come up as an adobe file when I try ‘open’ & then abode says it can’t open it

zilog6128

Sounds like something’s messed up. Can you unzip other zip files on your computer OK?

If not download the free trial of WinZIP (or any other free zip utility) and try using that to unzip the file.
    If you can then maybe the file didn’t download properly, so you could try again.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Trying with a free zip utility now. If all else fails can I do this on somebody else’s PC just to upload the maps on the device

zilog6128

Yes that would work.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Cool gonna do it that way as nothing seems to be working here even winzip ?

zilog6128

I guess you could try re-downloading the map from somewhere else and see if that works? This is the guide I followed http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Yeah they were the instructions I was following from the recent thread, I think my PC is f**ked nowt working every time I try to extract the zip it comes out as a PDF that Adobe reader then say can’t open, I even uninstalled AR from the PC to see what would happen then the file was converted to some sort of image disc ?
    Gonna try neighbours computer see what happens then

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

is the zipped file a “.img” file, thats the format you need? If you have the unzipped .img file on the SD card the unit reads it automatically, you don’t need to move/install it onto the unit itself.

zilog6128

Yep, as above, sounds like you’re nearly there! Just copy the IMG file onto the GARMIN folder either on the device itself or the SD card then reboot the Garmin.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Sorted my neighbour did it on his laptop for me, did exactly as I did but some reason mine just wouldn’t extract the fIMG file to put on SD card ?
    Cheers everybody

allthepies
    Free Member

If anyone’s interested, I’m creating Garmin img files of England / Wales / Scotland (individually and probably combined) with OS 50k look/feel. It’s using OpenStreetMap data so nice and detailed. I’ll add contours also.

If there’s interest then I’ll put the file(s) up on the web for STW download.

zilog6128

Cool that could be interesting. What software are you using to edit the maps?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘OS Maps on Garmin 800 probs’ is closed to new replies.