• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Rik.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • orange st4
  • crush83
    Free Member

Hi guys and girls,

I currently ride a orange crush, thinking of a full sus upgrade, was contemplating a 5 but think it will be to much for the UK riding I do. So been looking over the st4, what can you guys tell me about it? Any good? Any pics?

crush83
    Free Member

Any st4 owners about?

Kit
    Free Member

I’ve got the old style one. I like it. Not particularly light for a 100mm bike, but the angles are right and I have a lot of fun on it 🙂

crush83
    Free Member

Nice, do you think it would benafit from a 140mm fork upgrade or would that upset it

Kit
    Free Member

Been wondering that myself… I have 120mm forks and they feel perfect for the bike, I think 140mm would make climbing a chore as the back is quite active and the head angle reasonably slack. Still, I’m off to the Alps in a few months so might stick some longer forks on.

crush83
    Free Member

Not sure about getting a 5 might be to heavy for trail centers and the local natural trails I do, I ride a crush and this looks like a full sus crush so to speak

hobbitfeet
    Free Member

Going from a crush the ST4 would be perfect I imagine.

Edit: As ^ Crush said.

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

I’ve got an older style ST4 and running 140mm Revs, as that’s what I had available when I built the frame up! I’ve not experienced an problems when climbing or the way the bike handles in general. As Kit said, it’s not a particularly light frame for the travel, but the suspension just seems to work and matches the sort of riding I do just fine.

pullfaces
    Free Member

I too have an old style ST4.
    If I was to replace it with any bike now it would be the new ST4.
    Do you really need 140mm front forks?

Alex

I have a new ST4. I think a longer fork would unbalance it but never tried. As has been said, it’s not that light but it it is a lot of fun. Mine (2010 so new model) have covered nearly 3000km from forest singletrack to big rocky stuff in Wales to touring in the Pyrenees. I was a serial bike changer, but there’s nothing out there right now I’d swap it for.

Black Mountains Loop – April 2011 by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

micky
    Free Member

I have a 2011 st4. Fantastic bike for the riding that most of do most of the time. Very capeable on the downs. I think a larger fork would spoil it.

willlevo
    Free Member

I have an st4!

leave my fork at 130 mm rides so nicely, drop it if I’m doing fast xc, but when its slackened its amazing on the descents.

I’m selling mine to get a bigger bike for a summer in morzine, cannot afford to have both so have to sell it even though i don’t want to 🙁

if you’re interested check out the link:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-orange-st4-18-19

i want 1300 for it or nearest offer.

it’s never felt out of its depth, i did coed y brenin a while ago and snowdon descent, handled both very well, some of my mates were on fives and i kept up with them, i don’t think the extra inch really makes much difference on the five.

Rik
    Free Member

Not sure about getting a 5 might be to heavy for trail centers and the local natural trails I do, I ride a crush and this looks like a full sus crush so to speak

You do realise that an ST4 frame weighs the same if not a bit more than a Five frame depending on size.

Great bike though now they have the shock tune sorted.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘orange st4’ is closed to new replies.