Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • orange ST4 (2010) setup help please
  • deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

Hi looking for information on how to set the rear fox shock on this

i would normally set the sag somewhere between 1/3 and a 1/4 of the full stroke.
    I notice this frame has two marks which line up?
    i cant find the manual (or i have thrown it out Doh!)
    Do these line up when you have the correct amount of air in the can when your sitting on the bike?

thanks DTD

Shorty121
    Free Member

You measure the shock length from bolt to bolt then minus 20-33% and add or take air to get to that length

Shorty121
    Free Member
    mogrim

No idea about setting up the shock, but that’s a nice looking bike – thinking about one for next year, wife permitting 🙄

How’s it ride?

mattstreet

Welcome to the club – great bike!

Anyway, that ST4 was designed to work around 25% sag, so use that as your starting point and just tweak until you’re using all the travel. I’ve got mine set up at about 30% as I like it a bit plusher and I’m a skinny runt. If there’s bit on the frame that are meant to line up, it’s news to me! 🙂

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

thanks for all the comments folksr

i will adjust to 25% sag and take it around my test track and adjust it at little bit at a time.

iirc is this design not have a different ratio than others ? does this not affest the air pressure IE shock set up is same as anyother bike?

matt another question if you dont mind
    the pro pedal lever has three numbers but it only has two positions ? any thoughts

the bike is riding well so far not really paushed it haed yet.
    changed tyres to maxxis advantage and heading to tweed valley on sat with shock pump in back pack.so i will have a better idea after the weekend

thanks again for the advice DTD

mattstreet

The ProPedal adjuster blue flip lever is simply off or on – can’t remember which way round, but flipping it and giving the bike a bounce should make it obvious.

The 3 numbers relate to the red disc around the base of that lever – you should be able to rotate it for 3 settings that then alter the level of ProPedal you get – 1=not much, 2=about right, 3=a bit too much 🙂

HTH

Amos
    Free Member

Alright enough is enough! Can you stop posting pics of your ST4, you keep doing it and I’ve just spent a packet on a Titus El Guapo as I’m intending do some of the Mega events next year but every time I see this I feel I’ve made a mistake! It looks bob on,can’t help you with suspension setup I’m afraid

EDIT: Maybe I can help a little, how much riding have you done on the new shock? I found with my Titus that the HV RP23 took a good amount of hard riding to get the shock working properly i.e break the seals in, I’d agree go for 25% sag first, you know if it feels wrong, start stiff (oo-er) and soften as you feel appropriate

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

blue pro pedal lever on + off
    red disc marked 1,2,3 gives 3 levels of pro pedal from 1 to 3

simples thank you sir

Amos yes im a tart flaunting my new wench on t’inter web

next time i get a new bike i will take the instructions out before using box to send old bike far far away ! IDIOT

Amos
    Free Member

Good on you mate, looks mint!

rob2
    Free Member

I run mine with about 20% sag. I find it’s quite sensitive to air pressure. If you run about 30% sag i find it wallows a bit when you climb. Great bikes tho.

mamadirt
    Free Member

next time i get a new bike i will take the instructions out before using box to send old bike far far away !

Ah see, there’s your problem. You always keep the box for when you inevitably need to sell it on 7 months down the line . . . or is that just me 😉

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

nope me to0! 🙄

mildred

iirc is this design not have a different ratio than others ? does this not affest the air pressure IE shock set up is same as anyother bike?

mmmmm… not quite. I’m not great at explaining these things but to try; Its all to do with levers and the effect they have on the spring rate. I think the st4 has a 2:1 leverage ratio which is low.

Generally, the lower the leverage ratio, the lower the spring rate needed. This can be complicated on air shocks with different size air chambers, seals etc. However, it apparantly has benefits that it takes less effort to get it moving, you can control the flow of damping oils better, its working less hard at any given time, and it puts less stress on the frame mounts. I think this is what Orange are referring to in their online spiel:

the ST4 uses a low leverage ratio to produce 110mm of buttery smooth travel. Rather than use a shorter 165 mm shock the ST4 takes a lesson from the blood, running a 190mm custom tuned Fox RP23 shock to give 110mm perfectly controlled progressive travel driven through single pivot linkage actuated design.

So, to answer your question – you set the sag in exactly the same manner as any other bike (as per the mojo link above), and it should work fine.

EDIT: Oh, and get rid of those bloody grips and everything will be better!!!

Alex

Mildred has that right. I run mine at about 25% and it never really bottoms out. It will absolutely use all the travel tho, something clever going on with the leverage ratio/boost valve.

Best plan is to ride it, and see if you’re getting all the travel, and adjust pressure to suit.

gamo
    Free Member

I find the sag set up lines on the seat tube/stays to be spot on,
    generally only run the pro pedal at one(mostly off) as it hardly
    bobs and rebound 3-4 turns from max(slowest).

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

I’m not great at explaining these things but to try;

i think you done a rather fine job thank you

i knew i had read something about different ratios somewhere

thanks for the help everyone

matt_outandabout

I run mine with about 20% sag. I find it’s quite sensitive to air pressure. If you run about 30% sag i find it wallows a bit when you climb. Great bikes tho.

I agree – mine runs way better and yet is still supple with slightly less sag. Cracking bikes, loving mine still.

1981miked
    Free Member

MMMMMMMM ST4….drool…nice.

Anybody selling a 16″ frame?

mattstreet

The 3 numbers relate to the red disc around the base of that lever – you should be able to rotate it for 3 settings that then alter the level of ProPedal you get – 1=not much, 2=about right, 3=a bit too much

**Groan** – I’m sure you worked this out already, the red disc adjuster is for rebound. It’s the blue front disc for the ProPedal adjust. 😳

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

thanks chaps
    had a blast at the tweed valley Glen o stress today

i run 25% sag fron and back
    used propedal at setting 3 on the ups and turned off on the downs

so far very sure footed and smooth as a babys bum

i may have a fek around with the gate adjustment upfront
    and try running propedal on a lesser setting next time

what a great day
    sunny t shirt and shorts
    new bike
    lifes sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘orange ST4 (2010) setup help please’ is closed to new replies.