Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Orange five or ST4?
  • barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Big birthday (50th) coming up, and the wife's hinting at getting me something special as it's such a milestone, etc. I'm currently rattling up and down on a Cannondale hardtail, but am beginning to fancy a full susser. I've got a Specialized big hit 3 covered in cobwebs in the garage (far too much bike for me), which I'll be getting rid of, and I've had Orange's in the past, so I'm thinking ST4 or a five – I'd be thankful for any advice. I ride a mixture of stuff, from towpath pottering with the kids, to XC and singletrack (no downhill these days).

foxyrider
    Free Member

Prob go for a five but depends on your needs really – I asked the same question if its just XC and single track then prob ST4 would be better? But never tried it. Gary Lake did a review on his website and has ridden one recently and has a five so maybe mail him?

backhander
    Free Member

my £0.02;
    I'd sooner have the 5. The ST4, while nice doesn't offer anything over the 5, it's not lighter, the geo isn't as exciting and it's not as versatile. You could happily put some 36s on a 5 for an alps trip if you wanted to.
    I'd probably wait for the 2011 bike though. If the reports on the Strange 5 are anything to go by, it'll be ace.

gamo
    Free Member

Just got an St4 and i am loving it! had a Hustler before which i
    always thought was the bees knees but the St4 is def faster and
    seems just as capable on my local stuff.I test rode a five about
    three years ago but went with the hustler at the time as i wasn't
    overly excited about the five back then!

stevemcnalls
    Free Member

Got a 5 and have to say I love it. One of my mates tried a Blood, a 5 and a ST4 out over a couple of weeks. His verdict was the Blood is amazing just a bit too expensive. He thought the ST4 a bit of a compromise. The 5 got his vote.

He now understands the silly grin on my face when coming down some singletrack on the 5.

Steve

brooess
    Free Member

I have a Five and it's ace. Very balanced, can always take what I can give it whether in the Alps, Lakes, Wales or southern singletrack. But certainly worth a test ride on both I would have said, and see which one suits you the most

GaryLake
    Free Member

the geo isn't as exciting

Not strictly true, lower BB and lower centre of gravity make it feel noticeably faster on singletrack, and being a bit steeper in the head angle makes for more responsive handling. Everyone is "slack slack slack" but if you're riding 'normal' trails it just makes the bike handle like a barge. Given the intended use is "from tow path to XC", the Five is just going to dull everything down as well.

Should be able to get a demo of each easily enough, just ride them and pick what you like!

However, have you considered something lighter and shorter travel again? Latest Giant Anthems for example are very 'rideable' despite their racy intentions… I've been testing one of the Pronghorn 100mm race bikes and again, very rideable. Not like race bikes of previous years.

tonyg2003

I've had a friend bust two swingarm linkages on ST4's and eventually he got his money back. Not Orange's finest hour IMHO.

ddmonkey

I have had a 5 and can't fault really, perfect one bike for everything. ST4 doesn't seem to add anything but I've not tried one.

JohnnyPanic
    oldgrump08
    Free Member

Orange v Commencal. No contest :), commencals look good and ride well in a trek,Spesh, Giant kinda way, but has to be orange all the way.

JohnnyPanic

I would disagree, they're both really good bikes, but I'll say no more than that.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Considering giving up an 853 Inbred and going FS. Have ridden a demo on a 5 Pro – it's a fantastic bike but maybe 140mm travel is too much for what I do week to week – thinking about a Scott Spark 35.

igm

If you do go for the Five be aware that they are finally moving to bigger seat tube diameters plus a few other worthwhile tweaks – worth checking when they are arriving (possibly without notice in true Orange style) and make sure you get them if you want them.

grantway
    Free Member

Orange 5 all the way its very a versatile bike
    a friend has the Blood and that wont be the bike for you.

djflexure

Built up two bikes over winter: a Five + a lightweight short travel hardtail. Rode them both around the new course at Cannock last week to compare performance. Was surprised how much better the hardtail felt. More lively and direct. Perhaps full sus bikes really come into their own when the ground below is very rocky/uneven. Not that much of my riding fits into this category at present. Perhaps it will as the braking bumps develop at Cannock! Anyway I'm probably consistently overbiked on the Five. Quite like the nippiness and direct feel of the hardtail. I have put some more air into the Five's shock to try and stiffen up the rear end – will see if this works. So if you're used to hardtails I wouldn't automatically assume that a full susser would be better for the type of riding that you do.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Orange five or ST4?’ is closed to new replies.