Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Orange Five front mech?
  • godzilla
    Free Member

Im unsure what front mech is needed for the 2012 Five im building, it’ll be usung a new XT Chainset with a bash (2×10)
    Could someone please put a link to the correct new XT one.
    Cheers

coatesy
    Free Member

FD-M785, top swing, dual pull, double specific. Have to find a shop yourself.

elaineanne
    Free Member

i would like to know if the top swing mech has changed, as my front mech is a top swing on my 2009 model…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    coatesy
    Free Member

In what way? They haven’t changed noticably over the last couple of years, and as long as you get the correct “speed”, will do the job fine(i’ve made a mudflap out of innertube on mine to protect from mud build up, pivots last much longer than without).

godzilla
    Free Member
    coatesy
    Free Member

Not sure now, all the previous double specifics were for inner/middle, not middle/outer. Maybe you need to go for an SLX model, M-665(XT weren’t available in double previously, only SLX).
    EDIT- seems like SLX double is 9sp only, though shouldn’t really be a problem with 10sp.

andyl
    Free Member

depends what front rings you are using as 10 speed front pull ratio is the same as the only 9 speed front mech pull ratio as far as I know.

If using 22-36 then you probably want the SLX double or if using the 28-40 front rings then the XT one. There is also a Saint double but not sure what chainrings the cage is designed for.

You can use a triple front derailleur but the cage won’t be optimised for the rings unless using a 42T and a 10 speed version or 44T on the 9 speed version.

coatesy
    Free Member

Saint is for 83mm BB shell as far as I remember, was why I didn’t mention it.Not aware that there’s clearance for more than a 36 middle(if at all) on a Five, so back to the SLX I guess.

godzilla
    Free Member

Will be 24-32, as its a a triple with the outside swapped for a bash would i be better with an m780 top swing, then adjust the outer limit?

andyl
    Free Member

also for 150mm drop out spacing it appears.

OP if you look at the shimano tech documents they will tell you everything you need to know for chainring and chainline compatibility. Have selected the SLX page here but you can select other ranges: http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/blevel.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302059413&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181679&bmUID=jnMySw8

if you click the documents starting in SI… then you get the installation details which tell you all the stuff you need. The first documents just have the spare parts and diagram.

coatesy
    Free Member

Proper double set up would be better, the cage plates are designed to follow the radius of the chainring, so whilst it will work, it won’t work as well as the correct one.

mrblobby
    Free Member

None. 1×10 is the way to go 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

I would probably go with the SLX double (think it’s 665 or 667) for that as it’s designed for up to 36T middle. But I am not sure if you will get clearance problems with the 24T inner. I use a 9 speed XT front with the 10 speed rings and if I lower it down for perfect clearance over the big ring it fouls on the middle but in the original position set for the 32T and 44T rings it works absolutely fine with the 24T inner so you should be okay. Worst case is you need to lift it up a touch.

665 is top swing (low clamp) and 667 is bottom swing (high clamp). No idea what you need for your frame but if you get a choice then I go with bottom swing (high clamp) as the pivots are a bit more resistant to play but some frame cannot take the high clamp.

andyl
    Free Member

just realised you said 24-32. I’m not sure I would bother with that set up. Not enough spread IMO and a waste of gears. (but that is my opinion)

I would either go 1×10 with a 36T cassette and 32T front or I would go with a 22-36 or 24-36 and a double specific front derailleur. I do know some guys who were running 26-36 and I think they used the SLX double front derailleur. Or go for the XT double type chainrings and the XT double front derailleur as you have the wider range cassette.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Running an XT 2×10 double and bash here (orange 5) but with 24-36 rings. I initially tried the double specific SLX 9 speed mech but found the XT FD-M785-10 double specific gave the best results.

godzilla
    Free Member

1×10 is not practical as most if the riding I do has a killer up in it somewhere, 24-32 with 36 cassette should be right enough, I can change to a 36 at a later date, I looked at the double specific xt chain set and it didn’t look like a bash would fit right.
    Anyway, I’m more confused than when I started 😕 Any more info or even a link to the best mech for the job would be ace.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Get a 3X10 XT Dyna sys crank remove outer ring and replace with bash , replace middle with 36 or similar and fit a 10 speed XT FD M785 front mech.

details here

New Gamut P30 Dual 2X10

godzilla
    Free Member

Spot on, thanks for that, I have the M780 chainset but I assume the spacing is the same.
    Is that frame wrap on your swing arm and is it any good?

tonyd

dirtydog – that’s a remarkably clean bike, do you ride it? 🙂

dirtydog
    Free Member

Spacing will be the same.

Frame wrap works fine but I later found out it’s just self amalgamating tape and can be bought elsewhere for half the price.

Google self amalgamating tape.

dirtydog
    Free Member

@tonyd

Not much, had an accident not long after I bought it and suffered a mallet fracture(tendon torn from bone), finger was in splint for several months.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Orange Five front mech?’ is closed to new replies.