Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Orange Alpine v's Orange 5
  • jonnyclaridge
    Free Member

Hey

Just two quick questions – to me the front end of both these bike appear to be exactly the same? Are they or do they just appear to be?

How much travel does the Orange 5 have?

Cheers guys

Jon

Rorschach
    Free Member

🙄

ivantate
    Free Member

It doesnt say this on the Orange website but I have some inside information:

Alpines are for fat-boys that like Soreen and 5s are too cool.

jonnyclaridge
    Free Member

Ha ha, I guess you have a Orange 5? How burly is it? I'm going to Canada in the summer so want a bike that will take a beating and get up hills?

yetiguy
    Free Member

Hey Jon

Ignore the eye rollers up there

Dont know the answer, but asking in a forum is the right thing er…. thats why its called a forum

forum

a situation or meeting in which people can talk about a problem or matter especially of public interest

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Hi Jon

If you want 60% fun on the ups and 40% fun on the downs = Orange 5

If you want 40% fun on the ups and 60% fun on the downs = Alpine 160

Thats how i see it, i have the Alpine 160 and couldnt be more happy with it, Canada in the equation, such as Whistler, i'd definitely go for the Alpine but i think you'd be more than happy with both 🙂

TomO

fackit
    Free Member

Well said 'yeti guy'

I know 7 people who have 5s and they love them and have had them for years.

I know one person with a 160 'Alpine' and he loves that too.

I don't believe there is anything in price so the 160 should get you a smidge more exclusivity.

My advice would be if you have more than one bike, then get the 160, if it's to be your only bike, then i'd go for the 5 but GS said, there'll be no disappointment either way.

ivantate
    Free Member

Not sure if you want to buy a bike for 1 trip but if you priotise the downs the 160 is the way to go, seat angle is fairly steep and weight isnt far off what we were pedalling up hills a few years ago so it will still climb ok.

I have used my 2006 5 for 2 years here in the Alps/Appenines and felt a bit too XC especially up against my mates Ransom. Have now gone for a 2010 5 with the slacker geometry to even things up.
    I dont mind riding up the hills and want a bike I can use anywhere when I get back to the UK so the 5 was a naturally choice.

Both are brilliant bikes and I dont think you will feel like you have made the wrong choice with either.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I use an Alpine 160 for guiding in the Alps. Only had it for the last few weeks of last season (1 or 2 weeks with chairlifts and 2 or 3 without!).

Overall, really happy with it. You're never going to win any races uphill on it (especially with 2.5" super-tackys!) but it does climb pretty well. On the downs, it's a missile. Very confidence-inspiring and stable, but probably not the quickest through tight turns (although I do have the 18", 16" might be better from that point of view).

Seems bombproof, which is the most important thing to me! (after snapping my old bike half-way through last season).

snowslave

Jon, re amount of travel, the orange website gives full spec details for the bikes – http://www.orangebikes.co.uk

Wookster

Hi mate the alpine has 160 front and rear the 5 has 140! Love my five it’s got the slacker head angle this year and its super fast mate!! with hind sight I'd go for the maxel end now but I'm a big chap240lbs and the back is still really tight so not a big issue would love a 160 but my riding terrain doesn’t need 160mm I'm afraid either way your wont be disappointed amazing bikes.

jonnyclaridge
    Free Member

cheers guys, much appreciated

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Orange Alpine v's Orange 5’ is closed to new replies.