Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • opinions please – which lightweight UST tyres
  • judderman
    Free Member

hopefully for dryish summer use 😯

lucien

Specialized Captains for me – UST / 2Bliss version

nickf
    Free Member

Hutchinson Python UST.

Light, fast rolling, no grip whatsoever in the wet, appalling on slippery roots. What more could you ask for?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

Light and UST don’t go together.

Racing Ralphs or Rocket Rons would get my vote. The former being tougher and heavier, with more aggressive tread on the shoulders, the latter are lighter/more fragile with more aggressive tread in the middle of the carcass.

nosedive
    Free Member

I’ve also found proper UST tyres to be overkill. After trying a few different brands I’ve settled on Bontrager big earl, they are quite light for a tubeless ready 2.35, about 750 g each

Also found specialized eskars good and light in this size.

When going for a small (~ 2.1 tyre) I’ve not even bothered getting tubeless ready, never caused any problems after a small dose of sealant.

Garry_Lager

Python is a good shout for when the sun’s cracking the flags. Decent durability although it’s been a few years since I ran one.

Race tyres like Schwalbe’s Ralphs or Rocket Rons are great performers on the bike, but I’m not sure how durable they are used day in day out. I ran a fast fred for several months that was good – at the back though, personally don’t fancy these sort of smooth-ish tyres on the front.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

I’m finding Maxxis ADvantages (2.1 lust) are suiting me quite well, in summer even more so with a Crossmark out back when it’s really dry.

pedlad

Had similar requirements last summer. I wanted something light/fast/realtively cheap and ended up with Michelin XCR Dry(2) which seemed a bargain from CRC. V happy with them and will re-fit when the gloop dries up on the Malverns.

DezB
    Free Member

Don’t believe in lightweight UST personally, but Bontrager TRs are great if you can get away with it. ACX or XRs for all round summer treads. the new XR1s look like a great Smallblock8 copy.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Happy with RR’s on my race bike & NN’s on my other bike. I wouldnt necessarily bother with UST as its so easy to make a normal tyre tubeless & UST can be a ****’ pain to take on & off on certain rims..

judderman
    Free Member

should of said im using stans flow rims

tell me about the bontragers? where to buy from?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I used regular folding RRs at 2.4 which were about 600gm IIRC, they did roll off at speed once though 😮

nosedive
    Free Member

looks like evans cycles has bonty big earl for 19.99 (the wet condition ones. Dont worry about that though they are still a great all round tyre and I think better all round than the dry condition). I’m glad to prompted me to google that, they cost me £35 last time I bought some!

I got a stans flow last week! the big earl inflated first time with a track pump

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘opinions please – which lightweight UST tyres’ is closed to new replies.