Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Opinions on Nukeproof Mega's please
  • skywalker
    Free Member

I have been contemplating purchasing one for a while now to replace my On One 456. Besides the chainstay cracking issue, how is everyone finding them?

Photos appreciated.

skywalker
    Free Member

Anyone?

Markie
    Free Member

I think people liked them more when Brant was still there.

Blower
    Free Member

they’re ok yes 🙂

just get one,all pretty much of a muchness these 6″ do it all lardy dar bikes.
    hype n more hype.

ART

Fine thanks 😉 do a search you’ll find the old threads with plenty of pics and opinions. All 2011 owners received replacement chainstays so early doors problem fixed.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Really like mine. Don’t get to ride it much though as it’s too much bike for most the riding I do in the UK. Show it a bit of gnarly steepness though and it’s great fun. Was brilliant in the Alps. Goes uphill ok too, expected it to be pretty bobby but it’s not. Obviously depends a lot how you build it up and what you want to do with it. And it’s a bit of a bargain.

Having said that i’ve not ridden many long travel fs bikes so don’t have much to compare it too, so you’re probably better off checking out some of the other threads. There’s some mtb guides who posted reviews and they seem to reckon they’re good bikes.

ash

all pretty much of a muchness these 6″ bikes

With respect, RUBBISH !

ash

p.s. I have a Mega and it’s way better than any other 6″ bike I’ve owned. Simply better geometry both for uphill AND downhill.

skywalker
    Free Member

too much bike for most the riding I do in the UK.

I was wondering if it was a bit much myself. What forks do you run? On the website it says 66 degree HA but I can’t find what A2C they based this on.

ton

i had a go on one on sunday, round a pub carpark……….awesome ride.. 😉

Blower
    Free Member

ash – Member

all pretty much of a muchness these 6″ bikes

With respect, RUBBISH !

🙂

ton

i know a bloke who guided for a well known alps based mtb trip place.
    he rides a nukeproof, it is his 2nd, his 1st broke, he said he would rather have a patriot…….. 😆

Blower
    Free Member

160mm Lyriks Skywalker does the job reet.

as he got a Patriot then Ton 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

I was wondering if it was a bit much myself. What forks do you run? On the website it says 66 degree HA but I can’t find what A2C they based this on.

Run mine with 160 lyriks and a zero stack headset. Feels good to me.

Only you know if it’s too much bike for you. If your riding is more about the gnarr and going down quickly but need to also ride up and along a bit then it’ll ace. If it’s more trail centre style riding then you may reckon it’s too much, or you may love it for the brief moments when it does come alive. See if you can test ride a bike of similar travel and weight and see what you think.

Edit: Patriot is almost twice the price of a mega. Just thought I’d point that out.

ART

Running 150 forks; HA is about 67. As has been said goes up well, goes down really well. Great on rocky/techy stuff and gets better the more you push it, but equally happy swooping round smooth jumps and berms in the FOD. Long wheel base means that it feels super stable at speed and the low BB height suits me too. It’s my default choice regardless of whether it may be ‘too much’ bike for whatever it is I happen to be riding on the day. 😉

Edit – as above, it is incredibly good value for money all things considered

freeridenick
    Free Member

Bloody good,

just spent to today riding/shuttling the steeps of Triscombe on mine. ace.

took it to Molini on october and did 22,000m of chasing DH bikes and it was superb.

climbs well and feels more like 170mm of travel…

best bike i have ever ridden..

chain stay was fine but had the new one put on anyway – cant beat that for customer service in my book.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hmm will be in Somerset at the inlaws for Xmas, wonder if they’ll miss me if I pop over to triscombe 🙂

thv3
    Free Member

Really like mine, would buy again if something happened to it.

Live in Innerleithen, so the bike gets used locally on all sorts of trails including the DH and seems to lap it all up. I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted before I bought it and it hasn’t disappointed so far.

Great value, great geometry, and hopefully will get some time in the Alps with it next year.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Is that a ccdb on the back? Does it work well on the mega?

thv3
    Free Member

Aye, its a CCDB with Ti spring.

I tend to prefer coil over air, and had the build plan was to make the bike as capable as possible with out adding huge amounts of weight. Ended up with a Marzocchi RC3 Ti on the front, and the CCDB with Ti spring on the rear. Excellent combination, although can’t blame suspension performance anymore!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Is a nice build. Liking the bombers 🙂

legend
    Free Member

ton – Member

i know a bloke who guided for a well known alps based mtb trip place.
    he rides a nukeproof, it is his 2nd, his 1st broke, he said he would rather have a patriot……..

s there a chance that this guide had recently killed his Patriot?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Opinions on Nukeproof Mega's please’ is closed to new replies.