• This topic has 28 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by will.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Oops. I appear to have Coticed again…
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

Bfe this time. 😀

Took it to Esher for the first ride (on my own so no riding pics). Handles ridiculously quickly, pumps really well and is absolutely brutal on botched landings compared to my Turner – bend ze knees! Surprisingly rangy fit, given the frame is a size smaller than my Soda and the stem is shorter too. Next stop is Alp d’Huez and I can’t wait!

I do have a feeling that between us, me and the missus may have developed a slight obsession… (Hemlock & Rat are hers)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I do like the orange BeFe
    🙂

bungalistic
    Free Member

Mate has one of these and it is very nice indeed, have you modified an LRS chain guide there to be able to fit the taco guard?

Oh and how do you find tyre clearance on the back on the lower chainstay, mates bike doesn’t like having big tyres on, they rub against the frame, highroller 2.3’s do fit but only just.

Vortexracing

Nice BFe.

I hope Cy has invited you and the Mrs on the cotic Christmas do.

You appear to be keeping his business a float single handedly

JonEdwards
    Free Member

The chain guide is an LG1 which comes with the taco.

Tyre clearance is fine with a 2.35 – must try it with a 2.5 – it would be a PITA to get to Alp d’Huez and find my 2.5s om DH rims don’t fit…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Must admit to getting an itch to get another Cotic but this time it’d have to be a BFe as I on;y got rid of the Soul as I was scared I was going to hurt it. BFe with some Lyriks/36s maybe. Hmm….

cy

bungalistic – I’m surprised you’re mate’s having trouble with clearance. The stays are the same as the Soul and I’ve massshooosive Bonty Big Earls on that at the moment no problem. Robbie runs 2.5″ Minion’s in his. Something not quite right. Get him to drop me a line.

bungalistic
    Free Member

I have a feeling he has been in contact but not sent any photos to you yet, he was running some 2.35 intense tyres, the 909’s I think.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Well if 2.5 Minions work, then I’m happy.

tandemwarriors

Nice one Joh. Shame Cotic don’t do a tandem? Though think Elaine might not agree!

Rob

stealthcat

I think Cy can have a pretty good guess as to what I’d do to him if he started doing Cotic tandems… Not to mention the fact that even the incredible expanding bike cupboard couldn’t swallow a tandem!

It did amuse me that he hid my Cotics at the back in the first photo.

mustard
    Free Member

Cy – any news on the new hemlocks? Want want want! 😥

JamesD
    Free Member

Nice one Jon, looks fun!

My Soda also has a new bigger brother now… 🙂

zaskar
    Free Member

Mmm 853 too….

Lanesra
    Free Member

Cy any news on the new CEN approved soul? Am thinking of snapping up a custard before they disappear but am holding off till news/colours of the new model come out

topangarider
    Free Member

Bumpety bump bump Cy – whats the news re new Souls???

tang
    Free Member

cy-merlin sodas? when? ive started saving….

ro222
    Free Member

JonEdwards – Is that a yeti blue soul in the photo, if so who did the paint job for you?

Cheers.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

That's a not-quite-yeti-blue-not-quite-bianchi-green Simple. (it started life as a Soul, then got Simple-ified when Cy was prototyping the Simple). As a result it's a one off. paint was done by Colourtech in Dartford who do most of Chas Roberts work. Lovely finish, but in common with all enamel (it seems), it chips pretty easily.

Northwind

Obviously yout setup on the BFe's pretty different to how you'd run a soul (duh) but I was wondering, does it feel so different to ride otherwise? Stiffer feel from the frame or anything like that? I sometimes think I should've got a BFe, not because I'm awesomely hardcore but just for the flexibility, but I wouldn't want to give away the ride quality of my Soul…

ononeorange

Excellent photos! Warms the heart………

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Handling wise they're not too dissimilar – my Soda has shorter forks/longer stem/narrower bars than the BFe, so they're about the same speed and balance in steering. The Bfe is obviously a lot shorter, and that's really noticeable on stupid steep tight stuff – the Soda is still manageable, but needs more care. The BFe also manuals like a dream, but that then comes and bites you when you try and ride it *up* something proper steep (although it's surprisingly OK uphill).

Ride? Well the BFe is a LOT more direct. I wouldn't call it harsh, but it's definitely way more solid than the Soda. It probably is stiffer under power, but a) I'm a skinny bugger so don't generate a lot of power and b) the bike is a lot heavier and has bigger, heavier tyres and wheels. Its certainly not a bike I'd fancy doing a 6 or 8 hour XC ride on, sat down most of the way, but for playing about in the woods in a grind up, thrash down kinda way, it's magic.

As far as flexibility goes – having watched what Robbie Rickman has been getting up to on his Simple, I don't think us mere mortals ever need to worry about whether a Soul is strong enough. Although if we can persuade Cy to make a Ti Bfe, then I could combine 2 bikes into one….

pinches
    Free Member

Whats the turquoise frame with the wrap around decals? i really like the colours of your new BFE and that turquoise. Another build coming on **sigh**

Justcruzin
    Free Member

Would love to see more pics of the "not-quite-yeti-blue-not-quite-bianchi-green Simple".

Please!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

That's about the only pic I have in current spec

With Mud

He's had fun anyway!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

They are a giggle

Clembo
    Free Member

This is making the wait for my Simple to be built, even worse!!

rOcKeTdOg

Don't put one of those bent seatposts on it though!

will
    Free Member

Dam thats a nice looking bike!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Oops. I appear to have Coticed again…’ is closed to new replies.