Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Ooops road compact chainset fail!
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Just got a hybrid/flat bar road bike. Not paying much attention when i bought it the chainset is a compact 50/36 with a 11-26 (i think) cassette.
    Monsal head climb is a challenge to say the least!! Usuall spin up in 24/30 or so!!

RealMan
    Free Member

Rule 5:

Harden The F*** Up.

mikey74
    Free Member

Aren’t compacts usually 50/34?

Wait a minute!! You “weren’t paying attention” when buying a new bike? Are you serious?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

its a road bike – hence not paying attention, its for work in reality so i don’t give a shite

jonb
    Free Member

Stand up and put some effort in (see Realman’s post above).

rob-jackson
    Free Member

i was doing!! i will have laden panniers also

cynic-al
    Free Member

Seems we have our own Alpe d’Huez…in Derbyshire 😉

rob-jackson
    Free Member

lol at al – its **** steep!!

Andyhilton
    Free Member

You deffo need to htfu.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

RealMan – Member
    Rule 5:
    Harden The F*** Up.

You should listen to him…

Afterall, he wears a Polka Dot Jersey…

😐

monksie
    Free Member

Monsal Head.
    Length; 470 metres
    Height gain; 57 metres
    Approx ride tme; 2.5 minutes
    Rating; 3/10
    “It’s not the steepest climb, having a maximun gradient of 1:6…..”
    Source: 100 Greatest Cycling Hill Climbs. A Road Cyclists Guide to Britain’s Hills. S Warren. Frances Lincoln Ltd. 2010.

Never mind mate, I bet he’d not get up Jacob’s. Damn those roadies and their stick like legs 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

2.5 minutes of climbing …….are these your legs ?

nbt

You should be doing Monsal Head on a 32:16 ss, 34:26’d be a dream then 😉

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Monksie – i challenge you to ride that in 2.5 minutes

monksie
    Free Member

Sorry Rob, I’ve already done it numerous times. 34/25 gear at worst. I couldn’t tell you exactly how long it took but to be honest, it’s not a hard climb at all. It certainly wouldn’t be far off the time in the book by any means.
    In fact, I’m road riding over to Chatsworth tomorrow. I’ll take a detour and do it and see how long.
    Will you be around there about 2:00pm tomorrow by any small chance?

finbar
    Free Member

With two minutes 30 seconds you would have placed 102nd / 113 at the hillclimb last year. 😆

http://www.monsalhillclimb.org.uk/80th_monsal_hill_climb_results.pdf

monksie
    Free Member

:-). Not last then?
    The same guy/book gives Rowsley Bar and Curbar Edge a grade of 6/10 each.

crazy-legs

The same guy/book gives Rowsley Bar and Curbar Edge a grade of 6/10 each.

That’s about right. Good book that hill climb one.
    Road bikes/hybrids climb differently to MTBs, they’re not designed for sitting and spinning, you’ve actually got to put in something called “effort”.

finbar
    Free Member

Rowsley Bar is a MF. I like Curbar (i came 16th at the BUCs hillclimb last year on that one 😀 ). What does he give 10/10 to?

Has anyone ridden up to Riber from Starkholmes? I remember when i were a lad and the milk race went up there (early 90s) some of the riders got off and pushed.

monksie
    Free Member

Winnats gets 8/10 (I get up that but it’s not one bit pretty and my face is doing yoga by the top), Mow Cop 9/10, Riber Castle from Matlock gets 9/10.
    Nothing in the book around the Peak(s) gets 10/10.
    Just had a quick flick through and Rosedale Chimney, North Yorks gets 10/10.
    I’m surprised to see Holme Moss only getting a rating of 5/10 but then again, I’m more of a *sprinter than a climber.

*Cav need not have any concerns.

finbar
    Free Member

Cheers, i feel validated Riber gets 9/10. Not heard of/done Mow Cop, i must have a go. It looks savage!

nbt

Rosedale Chimney, North Yorks gets 10/10.

My car struggles up that. Nice pub halfway up though 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

Did someone just post a picture of someone riding a road bike in a hill climb wearing a camelbak? On STW?

finbar
    Free Member

Sorry, it was the first one Google provided and i didn’t even notice *hangs head in shame*.

wwaswas

it’s ok RealMan – they’re doing a Sportive so they don’t have to be proper roadies.

monksie
    Free Member

There’s something wrong with that Mow Cop picture, surely…cripes!
    I’m going to give it a go (and fail) at the weekend.

RealMan
    Free Member

they’re doing a Sportive

Thank god, I just spotted the guy walking behind the barriers.

ourmaninthenorth

Mow Cop is fine, save for a short stretch towards the top when it hits 25%.

And I say that as less of a climber than Monksie….

crazy-legs

Monksie – fancy a ride out there on Sunday afternoon?
    Mow Cop is fun, it’s actually only the last 200m that’s really steep. And the descent off the ridge is ace, well worth the climb! Weird route really cos most of it is on the Cheshire Plains and gently undulating at worst, then there’s Mow Cop in the middle.

Winnats is always worth a watch whenever a Sportive goes up it. If it’s into the wind (which gets funnelled right down the valley) it’s an absolute pig but I’ve seen a pro rider get over the cattle grid and up to the R/H bend in the big ring. 😯

monksie
    Free Member

James – you have email

phiiiiil

When I got a new cross bike two years ago I was giving it its first off-road outing, approached a steep hill and tried to change down into the granny ring when I discovered it wasn’t a triple as I had assumed… oops! I stalled and had to turn round and have a run up instead…

ourmaninthenorth

I’ve seen a pro rider get over the cattle grid and up to the R/H bend in the big ring.

We had a swiss rider join our clubb while he was in the UK. He rear mech cable snapped out on a run, so we botched the mech. He rode all of Winnats in 39×11, beating several handing climbers.

Mind you, he’s also finished in the top 30 in the swiss national CX champs before….

glenh
    Free Member

Height gain; 57 metres

Lol

rob-jackson
    Free Member

i am sure its mor ethan that and the actual length of the hill is comparitively short so steep. Hence why it is used for hill climb comps

I was not stating how har it was just highlighting that compared to spinning up in mtb geraing it was a lot harder. No where have i stated i am a climbing god or that this is undoable!!

uplink
    Free Member

Imagine getting nearly to the top of the Mop Cow climb only to find it’s a Marston’s house

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Ah well – did it in 3:10 – not as bad as i thought it would be!

monksie
    Free Member

2.38 for me today. I climb like a slug.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

i climb like a salted slug

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Ooops road compact chainset fail!’ is closed to new replies.