Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Online Back-Up / Storage
  • SuperScale20
    Free Member

I am currently having nightmare with all my wife’s files music, video etc can anyone recommend a good online storage solution. Thanks

retro83
    Free Member

will take forever to upload, why not use a USB or eSata caddy?

GrahamS

Heard good things about Carbonite and Mozy for online backup, but not used them myself.

Dropbox is good for straight file storage.

Alternatively, get a home NAS box like a ReadyNAS Duo.

DrJ

Was going to go with Mozy but a friend had problems with them. Chose Backblaze and a (different) friend had success retrieving a backup.

It's true that first time around it takes weeks to back up your stuff, but after that I don't notice a delay.

I find it a good addition to Time Machine, as it's automatic and off-site.

MARTINJ
    Free Member

Bullguard virus protection offer about 3 gb free online backup which takes a while initially to upload files , but it can be set to update automatically every day / night i.e. keeping your backed up info fresh. It only udates changed files, so is quite quick (I backup work data every night).

SuperScale20
    Free Member

I looked at the NAS box option but did not think it was suitable as only my wife causing the problem with all her music, videos & pictures (crap).

GrahamS

The troubling with offloading all that onto online storage then deleting it from local drives is that it has to be copied/streamed back whenever you want any of it.
    Which may or may not be a pain in the arse depending on your unternet speed.

I certainly wouldn't want to try editting a movie, or even a big photo, that was only stored on a remote internet server. Whereas the same thing would be fine on a local NAS box.

cranberry
    Free Member

I looked at online storage and it is a good solution, depending on the quantity of data that you need to backup. I've got about 50 Gb of music and 100 Gb of photos, and that means that it is cheaper in the long term to buy a NAS box and do the backups myself than to pay a monthly charge.

In addition to that I can locally share out all my data, and backup my machines and my parents machine in the UK. In addition, I can host my photos online and if I want to share data with other people that's easy too.

organic355
    Free Member

Im using carbonite and its excellent

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Thanks Graham any suggestions on nas box for home, organic carbonite looks excellent. Although just had idea if we have NAS then she can also put her iTunes (junk) on there.

woody2000

Use an online backup service (in conjunction with a NAS box) for your photos, just the NAS for everything else. Don't forget, it's not just hard drive failure you need to worry about – theft, fire etc need to be considered too.

Flash
    Free Member

I back up to an external drive and to Carbonate. External for quick restores, Carbonate for when it all goes horribly wrong.

Sorry for the spelling my phone knows better than me.

GrahamS

Thanks Graham any suggestions on nas box for home

The Netgear ReadyNAS Duo was recommended to me by someone on here, but I've not got any experience myself.

http://www.readynas.com/ for info.

flippinheckler
    Free Member
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Online Back-Up / Storage’ is closed to new replies.