Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • One year olds – do they do this?
  • spacemonkey

Scream a little bit and have the odd tantrum?

Our little boy does. Started at 11 months and that was a few weeks ago. Seems like he does it partly to get attention, when he feels clingy (i.e. you leave the room), when he’s teething, when he doesn’t enjoy being changed and/or when he sometimes feels like it etc.

But according to our childminder, this is abnormal behaviour that she cannot deal with. Apparently she’s not know a child do this in 20 years! WTF? It’s upsetting the other 2-3 kids she looks after, and now 2 parents have ‘complained’. So much so that she’s asked us to find someone else to look after him.

Sure, he has his moments but virtually every parent we’ve spoken to says he’s just doing what little boys do. He’ll grow out of it blah blah.

Our approach lately has been to totally ignore him (if we know he’s not in pain etc); no eye contact, no communication, nothing. He then gives in and finds something fun to do at which point we make a fuss of him.

Are we being unreasonable/odd? Or is she just looking for an easy life? Seems strange behaviour from her because she’s fantastic with the kids and seems a natural. But maybe she does want it easy.

geoffj

It doesn’t really matter if its normal behaviour or not (and I think it is TBH) because she clearly wants rid of your son. Start looking for a replacement arrangement and move on.

philconsequence
    Free Member

sounds like you bought a faulty baby, did you keep the receipt?

Fresh Goods Friday 697 - The Sprunnng! Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 697 - The Sprunn...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bristolbiker
    Free Member

It doesn’t really matter if its normal behaviour or not (and I think it is TBH) because she clearly wants rid of your son. Start looking for a replacement arrangement and move on.

+1

wwaswas

Ditch her and move on.

We always found nurseries much better – you have a wider range of carers there so if one of the staff ‘doesn’t get on’ with your kid (for whatever reason) it doesn’t really matter.

spacemonkey

Warranty ran out 6 weeks ago. Have to keep him now.

This all blew up earlier this week and we’ve already found a really sorted nursery. More expensive and longer commute, but defo worth it IOO. It’s just that this whole episode has really upset the missus. Not impressed with the CM’s attitude, seeing as we all appeared to be getting on great. Bit out of the blue too.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Seems she just wants an easy life and the challenge your son is offering is too much for her.

Move on and find someone who is good with (and for) your child, not someone without the patience to help him develop.

spacemonkey

wwaswas, the nurseries we visited months ago were shocking (IOHO). Hence opting for what we believed to be a fantastic CM.

Have had to cast our net wider this time, but the one we found yesterday really is cool. Loads of big, light, airy open-plan spaces, plus a funky garden and lovely carers/manager. We also agree that multiple carers = more chance of resolving anything that kicks off.

I’ve somehow remained unemotional throughout this episode and just got on with getting it sorted. It’s his mum who’s taken it personally.

hora
    Free Member

As above. Move on.

My nursery seems to think my lad is the Vampire incarnate. 🙄

yunki
    Free Member

sounds like a faulty CM to me…

Harry_the_Spider

sounds like a faulty CM to me…

+1

One year olds can be monsters. Mine were.

maxray
    Free Member

You are naturally going to be defensive of your kid, all parents are.

Seems in your OP you said she’s got 20 years experience and some of the other kids parents have complained. Maybe she isn’t equipped for the unique needs your son may have so sounds like you have already started looking for and found an alternative.

spacemonkey

Yep, a faulty CM is our consensus too. Pretty much what we wanted to hear.

Cheers guys.

spacemonkey

You are naturally going to be defensive of your kid, all parents are.

Not entirely. I like to think I’m objective (coaching/sales background) enough to look at things from the other person’s perspective. Hence if he did step out of line and the evidence substantiated it then we’d have to address it.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Funny to be reading this after I dropped off my two 2 yr olds at their new nursery and wondered as I drove away if they will tell us soon that ours are too much for them.

😕

hora
    Free Member

MF I thought that too- I bet every parent does.

I watched our lad sat in a bubble car push off and show an aggressive face to a much bigger/older boy trying to get into the car. I didn’t think it’d be possible for a 15month old to show an angry face :mrgreen:

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

He then gives in and finds something fun to do at which point we make a fuss of him.

Surely if you are doing that he will just learn to throw a tantrum, and then give in – and then receive a fuss?

maxray
    Free Member

Agreed Spacemonkey but you will still have a gut reaction to protect/defend your own.

spacemonkey

TurnerGuy, any of us could argue the toss on the psychology behind this sort of thing. Our aim is to encourage him to realise ‘unnecessary’ tantrums are exactly that. He doesn’t always go off and suddenly brighten up and get made a fuss of. Sometimes he just pipes down and wanders off in a more peaceful mode – which he doesn’t receive acknowledgement for.

maxray, yep, I’m with you on that. I was’t trying to be clever – just highlighting the way I try to deal with certain things.

AndyRT
    Free Member

is he a chatty ( as much as a one year old can be)?

Does he like spinning wheels or other mechanical things a lot?

Does he get upset when you change from one activity to another?

spacemonkey

is he a chatty ( as much as a one year old can be)?

Does he like spinning wheels or other mechanical things a lot?

Does he get upset when you change from one activity to another?

I’d say he’s a pretty chatty chap. Very sociable; sometimes like to observe (and smile a lot) and other times like to get stuck in.

Loves his trike and other wheely cool stuff. So yes, I’m hoping he gets the bike thang.

Sometimes gets upset when changing things. I guess that’s usual?

EDIT: all friends and family who’ve spent time with him say he’s perfectly normal. A really happy, playful little chap that has his grumbly moments like most children do.

geoffj

AndyRT – are suggesting he may be autistic?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I guess that’s usual?

There is no ‘usual’ with children. What is all fine and dandy one day is all wrong the next.

This morning one of ours screamed and screamed for Weetabix then, when we gave them to her, she screamed because the milk hadn’t been poured on correctly.

She only calmed down when we put The Snowman on (for the 756th time this week).

Then ate toast and waffles…

spacemonkey

You know what I mean though MF.

hora
    Free Member

They are normal.

Mine was fine then of all a sudden wants to be picked up alot.

This morning he didn’t enjoy me sneaking around the door and making him jump 8)

Bream
    Free Member

To be fair he sounds exactly like my little guys, he’s 13 months now and like an angry eel to change nappies, or put on clothes, in fact during most activities lol. We just try and refocus him on something else, once he does he imediately switches off from whatever he was upset about.

Sounds like your childminder needs to CMTFU 8)

hora
    Free Member

Mines like a tackled Rugby League Player

swavis

“An angry eel”
    This describes our 9 month old boy perfectly 😀

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Mine was fine then of all a sudden wants to be picked up alot.

God yes I am getting that at the moment – ‘carry, carry, carry’ all the time and hanging off my legs as I try to move around the kitchen in a morning!

The carrying usually results in ‘there, there, there’ as they try to direct me to the place they want to be (normally the biscuit corner).

“An angry eel”
    This describes our 9 month old boy perfectly

My father-in-law has described my Izzi as being a physical abnormality – she is perpetual motion. Never, ever does she stop. Even when she is laid in bed falling asleep she is waving her arms around flailing her blankets in the air. Come the morning her bed looks like a piece of Tracy Emin installation art.

hora
    Free Member

Yours are talking? Mine still isn’t 🙁

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yours are talking? Mine still isn’t

Evie is saying words and getting associations very well (things like hearing rain on the window and saying ‘rain’). Izzi has only a couple of words (mummy, daddy and wee wee). I think they are older than yours though – they are 27 months old now. Some of their friends are speaking full sentences :-0

Izzi needs to have grommets fitted as she has fluid in her ear which means she can’t hear properly and subsequently isn’t saying much yet. Their one friend whose language is similar to hers needs exactly the same. Have you had his hearing checked at all?

spacemonkey

How old is/are yours Hora?

hora
    Free Member

16months. He has ear infections but he can also hear a bloody pin drop when hes in bed and you make a noise..

AndyRT
    Free Member

AndyRT – are suggesting he may be autistic?

No, just checking. I remember having no real perception of there being anything ‘wrong’ with my son, and then having a child minder having a very similar conversation with me as described here.

One size doesn’t fit all, and 1yrs old is way too young to know, but the thread just reminded me.

BTW, my son is Autisitc, and I suppose I now am guilty of spotting traits in ‘normal’ people on the spectrum.

Maybe we all are, just a little 😉

geoffj

Maybe we all are, just a little

indeed!

buffalobill
    Free Member

Toddler in tantrum shocker!

What exactly does the childminder expect – the waltons? As above I’d be looking at new childcare asap. Could well be combination of a phase/ infection/ teething, but certainly not abnormal!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Plenty of time then Hora – some kiddies aren’t even walking at 16 months!

hora
    Free Member

He can almost run 😀

maxray
    Free Member

My daughter didn’t walk until she was 20 months though she did have hyper motility in her ankles/hips. On the other side she was talking from a very early age.

They all progress at different rates and if they are slow in one aspect they are usually ahead in another.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

They all progress at different rates and if they are slow in one aspect they are usually ahead in another.

Exactly – the girl I mentioned above who can speak clear and full sentences took an age to walk – when ours were playing on the climbing frame in the park she was just sat like a pudding eating leaves…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘One year olds – do they do this?’ is closed to new replies.