Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • one thing this forum has always been good at….
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

rallying around those who need some help 🙂

but why keep it just to the forum:

TIME TO TALK… TIME TO CHANGE

Jamie
    Free Member

Gok Wan you say??!!

I’m in!

philconsequence
    Free Member

i did almost let out an audible chuckle when i read the gok wan bit, i hoping the STW peeps are intelligent enough to realise that’s just the campaign trying to appeal to a wide audience and this part of the campaign is being targeted at social media users 🙂

allthegear
    Free Member

Having read the front few pages, I’m still not completely sure what the call to action actually is – to talk about mental health to someone?

Ok here goes – apparently, I have a condition defined in ICD-10 as Mental disorder. Don’t particularly feel mentally disordered but hey ho, whatever…

Rachel

chakaping
    Free Member

Stw is probably more prejudiced against gay tv fashion presenters than people with mental health issues

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    I’m in Gok Wan!!!

I thought this was going to be about a group ride.

philconsequence
    Free Member

from what i’ve read the main aim of the time to change campaign is to reduce the stigma surrounding mental health problems, over the past few months they’ve been asking loadsa questions on facebook etc and one of the aspects they’ve found a lot of people struggle with is simply talking about it… whether thats admitting you struggle or friends/family being apprehensive about discussing it with someone who suffers.

suppose if one 1 person finds the strength to chat to a friend about what they’re going through then the campaign is worth it, hopefully many more than 1 will.

so as a non-sufferer the things i feel its prompting me to do is consider if I know someone who is struggling and why haven’t i asked how they’re doing? if its ‘cos i’m scared of the answer then i should really look at how i view mental health and realise most people struggle with something at some point in their lives, chances are i will too…. even if its just dementia catching up with me later in life!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ok, I’m in, but how do you know who you are talking to has the disorder?

I know many who I think have some sort of mental health issue, and suspect none have it identified medically, but this campain seems to just get the “awareness” side of the conditions known/spread around etc.

No predudice here..

Live long and prosper. V

allthegear
    Free Member

Agreed – it does seem a little difficult to understand who you should be talking to and about what. Frankly, I’d rather people DIDN’T keep mentioning it!!

Rachel

Jamie
    Free Member

I appreciate what the site is trying to do, spreading the idea of openness, but feels like it is lacking direction.

Will stick to donating to Mind, even though I don’t like to talk about my tireless charity efforts, and let them do the work on my behalf 8)

16stonepig
    Free Member

I reckon STW is actually a mental health support group anyway, just amongst sufferers who use bikes as therapy.

Anyway, as we’re talking, I suffer from depression, anxiety, and (in all probability) ADHD. I’m currently waiting for an appointment to get assessed for that, and the waiting is really becoming difficult.

In fact, it’s very likely the the ADHD is the root cause of the other problems, due to the effect it’s had on my self-esteem, working habits, relationships etc.

philconsequence
    Free Member

have to admit most of the stuff i’ve seen from the Time to Change campaign appears to be lacking real direction… great intentions but (unless i’m missing something) its got no noticeably well defined targets and a lot of the stuff they post on facebook is a bit wishy washy, ending up with a lot of unwell people arguing in the comments sections. as its not very well moderated it creates a negative atmosphere around the questions they ask, and even as a professional i’m apprehensive about commenting, so who knows how that’d make the anxious and depressed feel about contributing an opinion or two!

but… as i said, great intentions and if some people end up chatting about their issues with a friend or visa versa then its all good in the hood 🙂

16stonepig
    Free Member

Have to agree there, Phil. It’s a nice idea, but it looks to me like it could all descend into the usual “But we all feel like that from time to time, and we just get on with it” stuff.

philconsequence
    Free Member

16… where are you based?

if you fancy chatting about it i can send you an email, even if its jsut me trying to find out about any resources in your area or helping with info about what to expect from the assessment, support they could offer etc 🙂

racefaceec90

i did try and write something on that link,but i couldn’t think of anything to write tbh 😳 nice idea though,but it does need some direction/goal. philconsequence will still remember to arrange the ride with you and mrs consequence when the weather is nice (if you still wanted to of course 😉

philconsequence
    Free Member

mrsconsequence, yeti and I were chatting on saturday about still wanting to get down and go for a chilled ride with you adam… definitely still up for it! 😀

if its ok i’ll email you and we can discuss some plans? take some of the public forum pressure off it all 🙂

racefaceec90

thanks philconsequence 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

ok i iwll help I will start a thread on Camerons Tourettes [line about ed balls]…Always willing to help Phil.
    I made an add to help

yossarian
    Free Member

Gok Wan is gay??

16stonepig
    Free Member

Gok Wan is a man??

16stonepig
    Free Member

Phil – I am southeast based. Do most of my riding in Swinley and other Berkshire areas. I’ve got an appointment in Feb at Ashford hospital – it’s knowing that that is 3 weeks away which is really ****ing with me at the mo.

binners

Who’s Gok Wan? Is he the new Glorious leader of North Korea?

I’m confused now 🙁

philconsequence
    Free Member

emails send raceface and 16 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’ve bin to Bedlam.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘one thing this forum has always been good at….’ is closed to new replies.