Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • one finger braking?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

I think the trick is to set up your brake “bite” point quite close to the grip so your finger isn’t stretching too far out. This will enable you to have a fairly clenched hand and the levers can be pulled in, as part of your overall grip but with no pads touching.

Mine works that way anyway.

Using dead old but still great Magura Louise FR bakes.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m 50/50 on troll or clueless.

Troll Mastery. Whichever, I’m starting to enjoy his presence here.

what does one mean by cockpit?

It’s the pit of your cock of course. It’s deep deep behind the balls is the cockpit.

fairhurst
    Free Member

it is the technique i have used for the duration i have been mountain biking 4 finger braking which i thought was the normal till i viewed the skill videos.

i would certainly like to try the one finger approach.

when i get home i will get my other half to do the levers as i am useless at maintenance.

tonyd

Troll! Next thread, which finger for one finger braking…..?

Edit: Fix broken link

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Milkie giant fingers! I tried mine that far inboard but had to move my hands inboard to shift which I didn’t really like. I tried swapping them around but then levers felt to close and at a funny angle. My advice is to just play with different positions.

The only time I use 2 fingers with any make of disc brakes is when they are borked, usually disc & pad contamination. My new SLX servo-icetech ones are lethally powerful and I’m having to learn a whole new subtlety of fingertip pressure to avoid OTBs and fishtailing.

Scrub your rotors and fit new pads.

Nice to have a useful and pleasant Troll for a change.

KevinPP
    Free Member

I tried for years on various pairs of Hopes but just couldn’t get enough power through one finger, or it felt odd. Both bikes now have Avid Elixirs and I find it easy with one finger. Don’t think the Avids are more powerful, they just seem to fit my fingers better.

Carlos45
    Free Member

I kept trying to one-finger brake on my old XT brakes – never liked it. On my new bike – I have xtr which makes one-finger braking feel completely natural. Funnily enough when I occasionally go back on my old bike – I now use one-finger.

Conclusion – Old habits die hard!

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘one finger braking?’ is closed to new replies.