Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • On-one's fat bike
  • HermanShake
    Free Member

Looks interesting, I’m surprised they’ve gone for it but I guess On-one have a penchant for oddness (handlebars anyone?). They also look flippin heavy.

I’d love to try one, but I’m still not sure about where I stand on the whole thing for non snowy/sandy terrain.

We need more vids up of them in use, come on fatties get your GoPro out!

More hound for the pound? The deeper the cushion the sweeter the pushin’? Baby got back? BBW FTW?

shaggy

It’s a great fun bike. As built the On-one is 31lb. I havn’t got a GoPro. Might try and borrow one though.

On-one fat bike proto by Shaggy John, on Flickr

flow
    Free Member

Whats the point in a “fat bike” exactly?

ampthill

they draw me in, in a most illogical way!

HermanShake
    Free Member

I think the original idea was to boldly go where no tyre had gone before. With low pressures (under 10psi) they’re meant to be quite easy to use in boggy, snowy and sandy terrain. I think they’re proved to be amusing outside of that so have drawn more attention.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Looks good! Would love to see a truss fork up front. For looks if nothing else.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I think they should give Akrigg and Macaskill one of these each for a month with a camera and see what emerges. I think chubby trials would be quite funny to watch. Think of the contact patch!

tazzymtb

looks ace, would be fantastic with a maveric DUC32 on the front in the peak district or similar rocky stuff as the ultimate rock crawler.

Nice to see that Brant chappie back at on-one designing bonkers stuff again, they seem to have lost their way without him with lots of promised new designs and no delivery, such as the lurcher, long travel Ti 29er, the revamped scandal 29 etc..

let the madness continue 😀

brant
    Free Member

This design to date is by our US employee Shiggy. But i’ll be pushing it on and through to production.
    A limited market for sure, but if we can use our direct sale model pricing to get a fat bike out to the masses, it’ll be a lot of fun. Is a £999 complete bike possible? We’ll see.

shaggy

With regards to “the point”, I just wrote a bit about it for On-one it’s here.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

YoKaiser – Member
    Looks good! Would love to see a truss fork up front. For looks if nothing else.

flow – Member

Riding places you can’t ride a “normal” bike

Brant Fat bike testing back in February

ScottChegg
    Free Member

In snow? Yep. On sand? I get that.

The rest of the time it’s like going to the shops in a pair of clown shoes. People will stare.

mboy
    Free Member

Moreso, what’s the point in Mountain Biking exactly?

Fun innit…

Just because you don’t understand something does not mean it can’t be fun for someone else. I didn’t understand why you’d want a 29er for ages, then I tried a couple of good ones and can totally see the point for certain people and certain places. Fat Bikes have their areas where they will naturally shine too. And then there’s also the added fun of riding something totally unsuitable for the terrain you’re riding, just for shits and giggles! My mate has ridden Whites Level at Afan a few times on his CX bike, just cos he wanted to. I’ve ridden a 34lb 170mm travel freeride bike on 30 mile XC rides, just cos I wanted to. It was a bit of a slog uphill, but I enjoyed the downs a lot though…

epicyclo

ScottChegg
    In snow? Yep. On sand? I get that.

Fatbikes are here to stay and they are a better tool for going offroad than any other bike I have ridden.

There’s more to mountainbiking than riding in loops around carefully contoured semi-paved bermed trail parks in front of discerning admirers.

There’s actually only a very small percentage of the UK mountains that can be ridden with a mountain bike. Fat bikes extend that percentage by a considerable margin.

For example, try some Highland peatbog on 2″ tyres:

The rest of the time it’s like going to the shops in a pair of clown shoes. People will stare.

But if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out…. 🙂

uistboy
    Free Member

epicyclo, how do you rate these rims by the way. Ive just got a pug frame and been looking at the option of the cruiser rims from classic cycles in germany and drilling them myself.

tazzymtb

I want to build a bike version of this for a laugh

i think super low pressure fat larrys 100mm rims and boingy front could be the way 😆

tazzymtb

It’s also not a new concept/niche

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Why not buy one quick and come and joint the 1st “Gathering” next weekend?

epicyclo

uistboy
    epicyclo, how do you rate these rims by the way…

Nothing special to report. They’re round and have stayed that way. Good bargain as far as I’m concerned.

The trick when building them is to get your wheel aligned and concentric with the spokes slack and then tighten a little at a time to keep them that way until you eventually arrive at the right tension.

If you’re casual about alignment until just before the last bit of the build, then at that stage they are very difficult to pull into line.

tazzymtb

fatbikes at the same weekend as SSUK, that’s poo planning 😥

singlespeedstu

Is hating fat bikes the new hating 29ers? 😆

shaggy

I’ll be bringing the On-one to SSUK if anyone wants a go.

coastkid
    Free Member

fatbikes at the same weekend as SSUK, that’s poo planning

Only if you race SS 🙂

It was the only weekend with midday low tides and the majority including myself were not working, there are about 6 fatty riders who cant make it but there`s around 8 or 9 turning up 🙂

Pugsley is the most fun bike i have owned,
    not the most expensive/fastest/lightest, but most fun, it keeps up on group xc rides easy, those big gumball tyres grip like hell and with the new chunky “nate” tyre available this will make it amazing in muddy stuff, and it leaves less of a foot print than a human- theres one to tell a rambler :mrgreen:
    For using it in places it was not designed for it is pretty impressive, what it cant go over it will plough through, or float over- aye, thay float!,
    Pug number 6 will soon be rolling here in East Lothian, not that niche now… roll on the Moonlander 😉

Folk want vids of them on trails?, here is some 🙂
    They wheelie pretty good…
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwkX6jannkM[/video]

Riding some rocky stuff along the shoreline,
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKZgocjNpws[/video]

Woodland trails above the coast;
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bArs4SdaCTo[/video]

Applecross Penulsia, if you want fast forward to 7mins for some nice singletrack 😉
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEmI3f-fD9o[/video]

What we use them for…
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLdISRcpCXs&feature=share[/video]

flow
    Free Member

Moreso, what’s the point in Mountain Biking exactly?

Fun innit…

Just because you don’t understand something does not mean it can’t be fun for someone else.

WTF are you on about, I asked a genuine question.

stuey
    Free Member

Great vids coastkid -I’m loving the idea of minimal erosion meets rolling spacehopper.
    Q: How beat up do you get compared to a full sus?

coastkid
    Free Member

stuey you can get beat up a bit, just like on any normal hardtail, 26″ 0r 29″, running costs for me despite the £85 tyres (which last 1800- 3000 miles) have been a lot cheaper than even single pivot 5″ full suss bikes with there suspension service costs, that i used to ride around trail centres, but it is a different kind of riding on a fat bike and shouldnt be compared to the norm, as often here in the UK we are riding these bikes outside of there intended purpose, but saying all that i have done 50+ mile days on the Cheviot Hills over wet grassy trails that were easier than with a normal bike- hardtail or full suss, so the answer im afraid has to be “yes and no” 🙂

flashes
    Free Member

Shaggy, please put me down for a test ride at SSUK. It’s a bugger the Fat weekend clashes with it……………

Brant.

A proper SS version would be nice………..

tazzymtb

flashes I wouldn’t worry SSStu will be at SSUK and he’s a gentleman of a more rotund girth and very easy! Ply him with a babycham and you’ll still be able to ride a “fat bike” 😉

flashes
    Free Member

Or I could take my Pug to SSUK………..

singlespeedstu

not the most expensive/fastest/lightest, but most fun

That just about sums it up for me and everyone that’s had a spin on my fatbike. It’s fun Some people seem to have forgoten what that is.

I wouldn’t worry SSStu will be at SSUK and he’s a gentleman of a more rotund girth and very easy! Ply him with a babycham and you’ll still be able to ride a “fat bike”

Oooii tazzy less of the gentleman shit thank you very much.

As you well know i never say thank you after using you.

epicyclo

tazzymtb – Member
    fatbikes at the same weekend as SSUK, that’s poo planning

Yeah, I had to make that choice.

A fatbike ride to Holy Island at low tide promises to be a highlight of my year.

Someone else can have my 4th equal placing at SSUK … 🙂

CheesybeanZ

That just about sums it up for me and everyone that’s had a spin on my fatbike

that`ll be me today ,and what a grin inducing bit of fun it was , even lowered the seat and all 5ft2″of mrsbeanZ had a go and thought it was ace 😆 😆

singlespeedstu

that`ll be me today

You’re not on your own.
    There’ve been quite a few others too.

I like to spread the love of the fat. 😉

surlynot
    Free Member

Reading most posts here it seems Fat Bike owners have owned a variety of bikes, and also find that Fat Bikes are……Fun.
    Riding one has always put a grin on my face for all the possitive reasons already posted & owning one has expanded my play area by another 25%!

Another maker kicking out a Fat Bike, gotta be something in it 😉

As singlespeedstu sez “spread the love of the fat”

Fatties Fit Fine. 8)

singlespeedstu

They’re even fun round trail centres.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf_hsGlW3hI[/video]

druidh
    Free Member

Are we any nearer to getting an availability date for the On One fatty or should I just press the button on a Pugsley?

motorman
    Free Member

To all those who ask what is the point…..well if your ride includes conditions like these, then you suddenly realise that fatbikes do have a place in the line up. None of my other bikes would have got me home this route without pushing… 8)

Stoner
    Free Member

anyone seen tremors?

shaggy

I want some Nates!

singlespeedstu

I want some Nates!

Mine have just arrived. 😀

Can’t pick them up until next weekend though. 😥

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘On-one's fat bike’ is closed to new replies.