Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)
  • On-One Thinny Pedals
  • honourablegeorge

Just got a mail to say they’re 50% off with code UKTHINNY50

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/PEOOTHIN/on_one_thinny_pedals

The mail also says they’re not restocking them, so they won’t be coming back once they sell out. Seems odd – aren’t they a pretty new product for On-One?

Just wondering what the reason for that is, before I shell out – not a profitable/economical product for On-One, or one that’s been difficult to get stock of? Or not a good product, for warranty reasons?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Sure Brant will be along to explain but going by the comments on facebook, the manufacturer/supplier of the pedals was insisting they be sold at £80 or whatever. Which going by the response of the hoards on facebook, was about £40 too much. Even then, they have to compete against the Wah Wahs, Nanos, Exotics, NPs of the world… which, after swearing by my 24Seven Slackers for years – I can confirm the Nukeproofs are flippin amazing pedals!

matthew_h
    Free Member

Voucher code is not working for me at the moment.

s
    Free Member

Yep, the code for 50% discount is not working for me too!

barbs
    Free Member

Looks like it’s working now.

akira

Just ordered some in black, liked the look of them but wasn’t going to pay eighty squid. For forty they seem pretty good.

pickle
    Free Member

I think they were a sort of trial product which On-One wanted to sell originally for about £40 but the actual manufacturers wouldn’t let them and set the price at £80 which is crazy! look kinda nice though 🙂

legolam
    Free Member

What’s the difference between them and the Superstar Nanos/Carbon Cycles pedals?

scruff
    Free Member

Nanos are a bit thicker and the endcaps are made of cheese.

Just ordered some thinnys, cheers for the heads-up.

monotokpoint
    Free Member

Yep just got some here too. Might as well give them a try for £40

wrecker
    Free Member

Made by HT?

avdave2

Thanks – just ordered some.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Made by HT?

Yep.

Maybe HT’s business model is to try and get into producing expensive pedals with bigger margins as prsumably producing £80 pedals is the same as £40 pedals and HT can’t sell the same pedal to two companies who then sell them at different prices as no one will buy the expensive one.

doof_doof
    Free Member

maybe?

sounds like it runs on 2x bushes and a proprietary bearing.

iang2jones
    Free Member

Yes they appear to be HT pedals. Good little review here:

Review: HT Flat Pedals AE-01

daleftw
    Free Member

Ew.

sparksmcguff

Just bought a pair, cheers OP

sergethesealofdeath
    Free Member

me to,

they are going well. been looking for some for a while, so at £40 worth the punt.

wrecker
    Free Member

http://www.declinemagazine.com/content.php?itemid=6629

Probably why they want £80 per pair.

julianwilson
    Free Member

HT can’t sell the same pedal to two companies who then sell them at different prices as no one will buy the expensive one.

Like what happened with the HT pedals that were sold as SSC nano’s and those other ‘budget’ ones that everyone (sensible) bought instead of the identical Nukeproof, Wah Wah and Answer pedals? 😀

gt900uk
    Free Member

Had these in my basket this afternoon and when i added the code they vanished. Damn it

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

All gone now anyway.

I’d like a pair of the magnesium/Ti ones with a sligghtly bigger platform please!

Northwind

Dang 🙁

TINAS, the mag ones will probably shed pins like a wilting christmas tree, if they’re anything like other HT mags.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

CRAP! Put these in the basket this morning and lingered all day not sure wether to buy them or not. Finally decided YES and now they are gone. Sad times.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Fair enough, after that brain fart I also got to thinking that I bash my current pedals a lot on the sides, so maybe 10mm narrower is less of an issue than I was thinking. I do like my big pedals though.

And I’m probably not light enough to get away with Ti axles.

Damit, now I actualy want a pair, almost bought soem at £80 yesterday but talked myself out of it on the basis they were smaller than DMR vaults and unproven.

It’ll be itneresting to see how many Tiawan factories do a HT and become brands in their own right, could be the end of Superstar etc, cutting out the last middleman and selling completely direct through a HT distributor.

wrecker
    Free Member

It’ll be itneresting to see how many Tiawan factories do a HT and become brands in their own right, could be the end of Superstar etc, cutting out the last middleman and selling completely direct through a HT distributor.

I reckon that’s the ultimate goal for most of them.

sergethesealofdeath
    Free Member

superstar will just become an importer, after all how much does to cost to laser etch a name in the coating. plus having a importer / name from the country which is selling them gives buyers confidance.

scaredypants

superstar will just become an importer

I thought they were just an importer

avdave2

Mine have just turned up 20 hours after ordering – pretty good, look very nice and they are marked as by HT.

brant
    Free Member

It’s a shame HTI didn’t want to work with us in the way we work.
    Not to worry. Taiwan show next week, and we’ll find another supplier.
    At least I know how many pedals I can sell in a day if we hit the right price point and have the right product.

wrecker
    Free Member

Don’t worry Brant, I don’t think many people will be buying £80 pedals made by HT. I don’t think you’ve missed out on a lot.
    You’ll do well to find some good pedals to sell at £40-£50. I think the majority of superstars’ business is built on nano sales. Be nice to take sales from that bloke. Perhaps do some brake pads, too?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Don’t worry Brant, I don’t think many people will be buying £80 pedals made by HT

I can think of 10 brands selling pedals at over £100 so can’t see why not.

wrecker
    Free Member

I can think of 10 brands selling pedals at over £100 so can’t see why not.

Snobbishness. Everyone knows that you can buy HT pedals for £40 from superstar. That makes them a value brand.
    Straitline, point1 etc only make premium kit with no cheap alternatives. People will spend the money on them (evidently).

mrplow
    Free Member

I was looking at these a few weeks ago and dismissed them at £80. Thank you OP. :mrgreen:

Fast delivery time too. 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Snobbishness. Everyone knows that you can buy HT pedals for £40 from superstar. That makes them a value brand.
    Straitline, point1 etc only make premium kit with no cheap alternatives. People will spend the money on them (evidently).

Why not? Dia-Comp were a cheep parts manufacturer, that made a few expensive bits under the Cane Creek name, a management buy out and now people will buy £500 suspension bits from a budget parts manufacturer.

The Tiawanese might be cheep, but you’d be stupid to write them off as stupid, they can see where the money is and it’s in the branding, whther they get that by badgeing up compnents and selling through existing brands (DMR, superstar, On-One) or going it alone and building their own brand.

Merrida built Specialized bikes, then eventualy bough a big stake in them.

Giant build frames for tens of other brands, and sell their own branded stuff as well.

KMC makes shimano’s chains. But there’s plenty of people who will hand on heart tell you they wont touch shimano chains as they snap and wont look at anythig other than KMC.

wrecker
    Free Member

The Tiawanese might be cheep, but you’d be stupid to write them off as stupid

Erm….nobody has.

mrplow
    Free Member

Is the KMC/Shimano chain thing true? Which ones do they make? I swear by the Dura Ace/XTR 9 speed chains as I have never snapped one and the last one did 5 years before a roller dropped off. Would like to know if KMC make these so I can maybe trust another brand. :mrgreen:

ferrit32
    Free Member

mine landed this morning, you just cannot fault that for service 😀

scud
    Free Member

I must admit, i don’t think that you can fault On One for service, i wish that more international and UK companies were like them.

With Brant always on here and via Shedfire website you feel that you understand their thought processes behind items that they design and they seem to be pretty transparent about where the products are sourced and that they seem to be trying to bring good value products to the consumer in a time where all other bikes and bike parts are getting more and more expensive.

In return, I think people appreciate this and will stay loyal to them as a brand, they have had a lot of my custom over the last year as where could I find Reverb seatpost for £190, Reba 120mm 29er forks for £299 etc without shopping outside of the UK.

akira

Mine arrived this morning and they look pretty good, Brant you might want to offer shin guards with the pedals for a little extra! The pins look pretty evil.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘On-One Thinny Pedals’ is closed to new replies.