Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • On-One – should they state OEM ?
  • justa
    Free Member

This is a very small mini rant – but a rant nevertheless…

I popped up to the On-One warehouse today to collect a fox float – they are doing them for £299.

I emailed them first and asked why they were so cheap – the reply i got was that they were last years – fair enough.

Upon picking it up I was handed the fork by a nice young lad – not in a box and without a shock pump – i thought all air forks would come with a shock pump…

So i ask the young lad (sorry not being patronising he knew more about customer service than the rest put together) and he replies I'll check – comes back and says no they don't.

Oh I say how am I supposed to set them up, surely they should come with a pump and it doesn't say that they don't on your ad?

'I'll go and get Adrian he says – So Adrian comes to the door and says – We don't get em with shock pumps so we can't provide them, they are OEM.'

But it doesn't say that on the advert does it ? I respond ?

His response ? 'well it doesn't say it does come with one either' – nice.

Ok i say – no point in me carry on with this conversation and i head for the exit.

Now the young lad bless him lets me out the door and says 'I can check with the owner Dave if you like?' I could tell he wasn't impressed with the response from his boss although he didn't say anything

'i'll make sure that the advert is changed' he added

But that doesn't help me much i tell him.

'I'll check with Dave he says, come and have a seat – do you want a drink ?'

So i sit down and browse through MBUK – the lad comes back and says – 'No he can't give you a pump as the forks are cheap enough but he will offer you a full refund'

Sorry if I've rambled but i can't help feeling a tiny tiny bit miffed – by On-One not getting there adverts correct and by pretty poor customer service…

Respect to the young lad – sorry I didn't get his name but he was great – just a shame about the people he works for.

MSP

Should have asked them if they would like fox to know they were selling oem forks as retail.

foxyrider
    Free Member

If its really cheap then its probably OEM.

If its OEM dont expect manuals, tools etc….

And I would like it if its said OEM but you can usually guess it is.

Someitme shops say it does NOT come with X some don;t.

I guess if thay said its OEM i.e. grey then things might be said by the manuf?

justa
    Free Member

foxy – true but they aren't stating that and I asked them in my email…

epicyclo

Nup, seems fair enough to me.

They don't mention a pump and don't show it in the pictures.

It's a case of disappointed expectations rather than sharp practice.

njee20
    Free Member

I think MSP's spot on! Mojo may be interested too.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I think they are obviously being coy and will only admit it OEM if pushed 🙂

justa
    Free Member

TBH it was the customer service that has really peed me off – when will companies learn that customer service is crucial – even if you are selling things at a good price ?

justa
    Free Member

epicyclo – fair enough, but forks normally come with shock pumps.

wwaswas

don't see why Mojo woudl be interested?

your contract is with the retailer. It's up to On-one how they service the warranty.

justa
    Free Member

epicyclo – also that would mean no forks would come with pumps as none state that they do..

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with that IMO.

uplink
    Free Member

I don't see an issue with them being OEM & it not being mentioned in the ad

They may not have bought them from Mojo – if so there wouldn't be much they could do about it

rs
    Free Member

do all fox forks come with a shock pump? I wouldn't have expected it unless it said, your getting a bargain and your complaining about it.

njee20
    Free Member

Of course they haven't bought them from Mojo, but I doubt Mojo like being undercut by a retailer who are technically selling an inferior product, which was my point.

dasnut
    Free Member

cheap forks don't come with a pump. shock! awe!

would you still have bought them if they did say OEM?

MSP

Yes all retail fox forks come with a pump, are they about 25 quid to buy seperatly, not so much of a bargain if you don't already have one.

packer
    Free Member

What did you expect them to do exactly? Give you a free shock pump because you complained?

I agree that the ad should probably say OEM but I can't see anything wrong with their customer service.

At that price it's fairly obvious they are OEM anyway.

z1ppy

storm in a tea cup, get over it.

northshoreniall

I think you dead right. I bought an ex demo bike last year with fox on it and they threw in pump as how else expected to set them up? Is perfectly reasonable to expect, especially as not sited in add.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Why are they technically inferior if they don't have a pump? Or is there something else different about OEM Fox forks?

markenduro
    Free Member

Of course they haven't bought them from Mojo, but I doubt Mojo like being undercut by a retailer who are technically selling an inferior product, which was my point.

Better not tell madison about CRC and Merlin and….

99% of the time OE are the same product but without the fancy packaging.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

fuss over nothing!

Customer service sounds ok to me, most mail order places won't even let you pick up!

tonyg2003

I can't see the issue. Buy them OEM, buy a £15 shock pump and download the Fox manuals off the net.

If you are bothered about them being non-OEM then pay a couple of hundred quid extra for the box, manual and pump.

Almost everything really cheap (gears, forks, wheels etc…) in the cycle world is OEM. Usually via a bike manufacturer who has over ordered.

I presume that you went to On-one to save the postage too?

nuke

Really can't see the problem with this…recently bought some Fox forks off CRC. They're don't state OEM but that's what I was expecting: they arrived, they were OEM and I didn't get a Fox box & pump…I didn't give it another thought as I just got the fork I really wanted at a good discounted price and couldn't give a toss if it came in a nice box with a pump.

adalta
    Free Member

how am I supposed to set them up, surely they should come with a pump

By that argument, should we get a pump with every inner tube we buy?

Jerome
    Free Member

Using a normal bike pump on them
    I did on mine until I got a full sus and needed c 200psi
    Bought a brand new spesh with floats – no pump !!

M6TTF
    Free Member

dont get it – they're the same fork not in a box?

justa
    Free Member

ok – perhaps the problem is with me !

i'm man enough to except that !

However, i did say the main problem was the blokes reaction,

And i did say it was a minor gripe.

showerman
    Free Member

hope you get no problems with them, could find you have a very limited warranty or none then those great savings are not so good afterall 😥

uplink
    Free Member

So what would be the point in telling Mojo then?
    What are they going to do about it?

besides – I'm sure they know fine well who's selling kit brought in from another supplier

nuke

could find you have a very limited warranty or none then those great savings are not so good afterall

Hows that then? Genuinely interested. It was my understanding my contract is with retailer, in my case CRC, so if anything goes wrong in warranty period, its up to them to rectify it…how's that 'limited'. 😕

technically selling an inferior product

I'm also intrigued how an OEM Fox fork is 'inferior'.

sc-xc

So i ask the young lad (sorry not being patronising

Now the young lad bless him

😀 😀

MSP

Fox retail forks come with a pump, pretty much everyone knows that. Ford cars come with tyres fitted, if I turned up at a dealer to pick up a new car, and found that the tires wasn't included in the deal they had given, I would be pretty pissed off.
    They should state that they are OEM because not including the pump changes what is being sold from the standard package.
    If its still a good deal, so be it, but at least you should be given the full details to decide on a like for like basis.

uplink
    Free Member

Fox retail forks come with a pump, pretty much everyone knows that

Only if you've bought them in the past I would have thought
    I must admit, I wouldn't have expected or even wondered if a pump was included

vinnyeh

At the least they should state that it's not got retail packaging. Don't know if oem Fox product is different to retail, but other brands are – I bought a pair of Minutes several years ago from crc that were substantially different to the retail forks, but didn't know til they arrived. Very pissed off about it, especially since the discount over full retail was only about 20%. They went back pretty damned quick.

If they'd been Vanillas, oem, which just come with the standard spring then there's an even stronger argument for revealing their oem origins.

Joxster
    Free Member

In the world of OEM, Mr Hoi Sin in Taiwan orders 15,000 groupsets, forks, finishing kits and 10,000 frames. He then offers the excess to CRC, Merlin or On One for buttons because the manufacturers have changed the colour/design or decals and has already received a credit on his excess.

Why would Mojo be a bit peeved, well if you go into a shop and buy a set of Fox 36's RC2 at £850 the retailers order from Mojo, if you buy from On One then it's coming in the back door and my not carry a warranty as the product have a serial number that won't be on Mojos system and they can tell you to return them to Mr Hoi Sin to fix and will he give a toss???

thepodge
    Free Member

Adrian is and always will be worked off his feet, I've seen him on line well into the night doing his customer service bit, you must have got him on an off day

As for the website, the invoices rarely give any usefull info so its a copy paste job to get them up in time for pre orders

One way to keep prices down is to not employ enough staff so the ones you do have end up working their balls off meaning customer service will take a hit now and again

justa
    Free Member

the podge – must have been a very off day

after reading everyones opinion on here – i can see why people may think its a storm in a tea cup – although its not as if i stated I was furious about it !

However, I still think they should clearly state OEM, and i still think their customer service was very poor.

Swalsey
    Free Member

I don't think its a bad thing that new bikes and shock don't come with the tools – I wouldn't expect a bike to come with a foot pump, allen key set and lube… it would be like those washing detergents that come with a net/ball – everybody will end up with piles of them…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘On-One – should they state OEM ?’ is closed to new replies.