Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • On-one LUU lights have landed
  • alotronic
    Free Member

Just got mine 30 minutes ago (london like).

Look good to me, all fits together well, good clamps. Wrong mains plug in box but I have about a zillion of the right ones around so no drama. Good news is that switching makes sense – Two separate modes, solid and flash and hitting the switch cycles through them lo>med>high>low etc.

Of course the final verdict is a few months off but it's a good start.

As for actual lighting performance, well it ain't dark yet but they light up my hallway really well… and I don't have anything equivalent to compare them to 😯

A

ahwiles
    Free Member

mine turned up this morning, it's on charge now.

i'm an idiot, it took me a few minutes to figure out that i needed to open up the plug, and then clamp the lead inside.

my first attempt lead me to just-sort-of-push-it-in-a-bit, then start swearing when it fell out.

test-ride tonight; my on-one luu Vs Ben's Dx light!

higgo
    Free Member

test-ride tonight; my on-one luu Vs Ben's Dx light!

Very interested in the outcome of that one. Suspect I'm not alone.

domino

Me too, let us know what they are like once you've been for a ride – am considering taking up night riding and don't want to spend an absolute fortune on lights, £140 seems reasonable. I am not 100% convinced I will enjoy night riding yet.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i can do even better than that, i'll also take out an Exposure enduro (500 lumens).

Night riding is ACE! – trails you thought you knew become new and unexplored, you'll get lost, you'll get scared, and you can ride cheeky trails without any walkers…

i reckon the best solution is to get a helmet spotlight + handlebar floodlight..

ahwiles
    Free Member

my mistake;

it's an exposure 'Race' that i'll be comparing – it's got 2 led's on the front, and claims 480 lumens.

right then, first impressions (from my cellar);

the on-one Luu is a only a tiny touch brighter in it's 'spot', but, the spot is a bit bigger.

it doesn't seem like a lot, but i understand that we see in logarythms; if we think something is twice as bright, there's actually 10times the luminosity. or something like that…

i've had the exposure-race for a year now, keeping it 'safe' for a friend. who now wants it back. i've found it an excellent light, 480 lumens mixed with my fenix headtorch has been a great set-up.

i'm taking all 3 out tonight, this should be fun!

Dx Ben says he might not make it now, the face-off we're all waiting for will have to wait…

higgo
    Free Member

Is DX Ben scared or something?

ahwiles
    Free Member

scared of getting skin cancer i reckon…

(total drivetrain failure by the sounds of it)

bike an lights are ready, just waiting for simon now
    (another one of these weirdos who makes his own light, but then can't ride for most of the season because they've stopped working)

higgo
    Free Member

Well?

ahwiles
    Free Member

right then,

the Luu is a teeny bit brighter than the exposure race. but it does flood more ground with light.

the light seemed a touch whiter, or maybe it just seemed that way because it was brighter (just a teeny bit).

i switched my head-torch off, and tried riding with either the Luu or exposure, in terms of riding experience it was hard/impossible to tell which one was on without looking, if i tried to pick a differenc, i'd say the shadows behind trail features were darker with the Luu – ironic i know (more light = darker looking shadows = a good thing).

it comes down to the logarythmic nature of our senses, there may be nearly twice as much light coming out of the Luu, but my eyes can only detect a slight difference.

the best combo, was Luu + headtorch, – much better even that Luu + Exposure. The headtorch lets you see round corners.

(obviously, the best combo was Luu + Exposure + Fenix Headtorch, but Carrie wants her Exposure Race back. bugger)

it's nice to know however, that 500 lumens is still good for the job of riding techy singletrack – don't feel that you 'need' more power – there's a law of diminishing returns at work here.

if you're running a 500 lumen system, and feel you need to see more, i'd say you're better off spending £45 on a 110 lumen fenix headtorch, than £200 to gain 400 more lumens from your floodlight.

yes, i turned my headtorch DOWN from the 'turbo 180' mode – as i found the lower light setting didn't drown out the shadows behind the trail features – this is really handy if your eyesight is a bit crap like mine.

Dx Ben will be dragged out next week even if i have to put him on my bmx.

X

alotronic
    Free Member

That all makes sense… never having had a decent light before I am very happy with the LUU @ £140. Fenix next once I sell some old stuff off…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘On-one LUU lights have landed’ is closed to new replies.