Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • ON-ONE help!
  • SteveTheMac
    Free Member

After knackering my old Carrera frame, (finally!) I've been eyeing up the Inbred and the 456. After trawling through the forums for info, i still can't make an informed decision between the two.

I would be using my existing 100mm Tora, which would seem to point me in the direction of the Inbred, but when gravity pulls me southwards, will i be wishing i'd opted for the classic 456?

If there's anyone here with experience of a 456 with 100mm forks, or any smitten Inbred owners – your opinions would be really helpful!

lee170
    Free Member

Stevethemac,
    Have you ruled out the scandal? This is far more superior than the inbred and 456!!!!
    Lighter to. Not much more money!!

I love mine and also have a few friends who have them and are completely smitten, I run a 100mm fork and it suits me fine, others run 120mm and love it.

Cheers

lee

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shirley the 456 will be steeper with that fork?

z1ppy

Most Tora's should be adjustable so that the travel can be bumped up to at least 115mm, might help with a 456 head angles.
    Or flog em and get some cheap 2nd hand 130 Rev's that are coming through, as everyone decides they need 140/150mm

Shirley you should know from your own riding, if you want a pure XC (inbred/scandal) or more gravity/fun go for the 456.

julianwilson
    Free Member

fatmutha here on jules login.

i have the 456 and slot drop inbred.
    both i find a little steep at 100mm tips me too much forward and hurts my wrists, so i have 456 around 140mm most of the time, and the inbred around 125mm this (for me) feels the best.
    am deciding whether to buy a scandal at the moment and have some 100mm forks put aside for it and am already wondering if i will probably want 120mm on it..!!
    if it were me i'd plump for either as i havent felt much difference in the way i ride the either, the inbred feels just as nice in the air as the 456…horses for courses try before you buy if you can, but either are very capable fun bikes.
    hth

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Had 2x Inbreds and currently have a new 456 which I prefer – and all have been run with 100mm RockShox forks. I have the Reba SL on the 456 at the mo, but keep trying to get round to stretching them to 120mm. I guess the fact that it rides fine with 100mm (the 4 in 456 of course stands for 4" fork travel…) is probably why I've not done it yet!

HTH

SteveTheMac
    Free Member

I'm definetily not focused on xc. Fun is the main priority, but where i live means that lots of climbing is inevitable. As long as the 456 isn't horribly steep with 100mm on it, then it sounds much more my cup of tea.
    Is the Scandal much more xc orientated?

z1ppy

Scandals are purely recommended for use with a 100mm fork

I'm definetily not focused on xc. Fun is the main priority

Go forth and purchase a 456 8) , and up your forks travel (it's really not that scary) and plan to get a cheap 2nd hand 130/140 fork my friend.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

look at the 456 page on the on one site – it says the head angles for 4 and 6 inch forks in the spiel…

julianwilson
    Free Member

going on what you said then, the 456 with an adjustable fork would suit, wind it down for the climbs then out for the fun..

cp

I wouldn't use the 456 with a 100mm fork at all – except if you spend you life climbing. 120mm is far better for that frame IMO.

The 456 summers season would prob suit better as the head angle is slacker for a given fork so you'd find it much better at 100mm travel.

SteveTheMac
    Free Member

going on what you said then, the 456 with an adjustable fork would suit, wind it down for the climbs then out for the fun..

Seems like the best of both worlds there.

Thanks for the feedback people, much appreciated. Reckon a 456 is in order, then an adjustable travel fork followed swiftly after…

Mind you, keeping these new purchases under the Fiance's radar is maybe something i'll have to figure out for myself! 😆

edhornby

'Ah the frame's broken love, I'll have to get a new one'

weeks later….

'turns out the old forks won't fit into the new frame, I'll ebay the old bits so they're not cluttering up the house'

ahwiles
    Free Member

if you're thinking about downhill fun, and 100mm forks, and on-ones, you should really look at the inbred 456 summerseason.

they're all 'inbreds'

some inbreds are '456 inbreds',

some 456 inbreds are 'summer season 456 inbreds'

or at least that's how i understand it…

summer season frames are designed to give you a much slacker head angle with 100mm forks*, as far as i can tell, on-one are the only company to do this.

khani
    Free Member

the 456 summer season has a slacker head angle to run shorter forks and keep the slack feel of the reguler 456,
    maybe one of them

HomesickSmoggie
    Free Member

Recently fitted some rebas to my 456 after using 140mm Revs for a couple of years – wished I'd done it ages ago – rides perfect – personal opinion of course.

Hairychested
    Free Member

456SS with your fork will be fine if you like downhill stability (slack angles).

SteveTheMac
    Free Member

Interesting. I'd always just presumed the 456SS was more for 120mm+ forks. Sounds more like my cup of tea. Whenever I leave the house with a fitness/xc run in mind, I always end up hooning about the nearest jumps and bumps.

Summer Season it is i reckon.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘ON-ONE help!’ is closed to new replies.