Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Older Ibis Mojo: anyone running a triple chainset?
  • cinnamon_girl

Apologies in advance as I know I’ve asked this question some years ago.

Changing to granny means invariably the chain gets caught in the chainring and therefore have to stop to sort out.

Any clever ideas apart from a chain guide? Please don’t tell me to go single ring!

Thanks. 🙂

sweaman2
    Free Member

As in chain suck from underneath? Or from the top?

cinnamon_girl

From the top sweaman2.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Hmmm. Not had that problem I’m afraid (have suffered a bit of chain suck though). Would suggest looking at front mech positioning?

Northwind

ChrisL has a triple on a Mojo SL, never seen him have any probs. A frame can cause chainsuck to be a bigger problem but if changing down is causing chainsuck most of the time, you have a gear problem not a frame problem…

cinnamon_girl

Thanks sweaman2. My lbs were a bit stumped, no matter how careful with adjusting it still happened. Running XT.

cinnamon_girl

Northwind – is ChrisL running Shimano or Sram? Thanks.

Can front mechs vary that much?

showerman
    Free Member

had 2, first mojo then latest mojosl since 2008 but basically the same. never had a problem with xtr chainset or carbon fsa. now last winter had big issues with my intense sucking when dropping into granny always at the bottom of a climb under load. turned out after much hair pulling was the jockey wheels sticking once changed for stainless steel bearings never had a problem since.

Northwind

cinnamon_girl – Member

Northwind – is ChrisL running Shimano or Sram? Thanks.

Dunno- possibly Shimano shifting and Raceface cranks?

It’s weird that it’s happening from the top though. Your LBS should have spotted it if this is the cause, but, how is the freehub? If it’s even a wee bit stiff it can push the chain a bit…

teamslug
    Free Member

Had an SL since 2008..never had a problem with M970 XTR cranks and f.mech. Is the bottom bracket spaced properly?. Had chain suck from bottom as chainring wore but I’ve just gone 1 x 9…

busydog
    Free Member

I had a Mojo with 3 rings for 4 years until just recently and the only time I had an issue was once when I let a chainring get too worn. Replaced it and worked fine.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks very much for the helpful replies that have thrown up some things to look at. 8) Haven’t used the bike for a few years but when I went down to the granny, I deliberately coasted with no load.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Older Ibis Mojo: anyone running a triple chainset?’ is closed to new replies.