Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • old BMW, opinions?
  • aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

1990 3 series, buying it as a runabout (hopefully) anything i should know?

sofatester
    Free Member

BMW? 1990? Runaround? 😆

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

i'm a whore, i'll admit it

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sofatester
    Free Member

If your going to get a BMW get a M3 Evolution from circa '96. There going for 6-7k at the moment, if you've got it flaunt it! 😀

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

P reg 316i – cost about £1100
    Nice enough car, ok to drive, indicators work (surprise), reliable, cheap to run.
    Now sitting at around 90k miles, sounds and feels fine.
    Keep an eye on the oil though.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Go for the 2.0/2.5l straight six. Really silky and probably not thrashed too much. 316 desparately underpowered, 318 OK'ish, 318i quite fun

Futureboy
    Free Member

I've had a few E30 3 series.

316i and 318i – Not a massive difference between the two. 318i is slightly better.

2 or 2.5 litre straight 6 is a great engine, but not particularly economical!

I sold an old 316i around 10 years ago with 147K on the clock. The guy i sold it to still uses it daily.

If in E30 looks good, it probably is. If it doesn't, it's probably not!

mboy
    Free Member

Older the BMW, the cheaper/easier it is to fix when anything goes wrong… So an E30 is fairly cheap to keep on the road by BMW standards, though if it's at all rotten, or smoky, then walk away.

I'm on my 2nd old 5 series (E34) at the moment, and aside from a couple of minor niggles that you can expect with running cars well past 100,000 miles, old Beemers go on a lot longer than most other cars, and with a lot more luxury too! E34 estates are HUGE too, pretty much perfect MTB cars…

wetgrassagain
    Free Member

I had a 91 BMW 3 series convertible (320) which I sold a couple of years ago.

I ran it up to 135,000 miles with no major problems, no rust to speak of, the only thing I can think of that I had to replace was an exhaust.

I have also run an E36 3 series (320) up to 185,000 miles and an E34 5 series (520) to 185,000, they really will run a long time if you look after them and all sold at that mileage and are probably still going.

Both the E34 & E36 head gaskets failed at around 150,000 miles which is a £2,000 rebuild, but other than that it is just servicing and the usual tyres, pads and disks as they wear out.

villageidiot
    Free Member

BMW E30, one of the best cars ever made.

hora
    Free Member

Love the E30 BMW. Would love one. Even the simple clean lines of the 316 3 door. Theres an old dear who parks a mint 1988 one near me every day. Dying to ask her to sell it although she would obviously be confused/scared! 8)

samuri
    Free Member

/aslongasithaswheels, 'running around'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSJ-HzNWJGM

Needs sound, right up! Listen to that transmission!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘old BMW, opinions?’ is closed to new replies.