Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Oh well….California again it is!
  • ltheisinger
    Free Member

I can hardly contain my excitement! Off to California again this year for a little bit of the MTB lark!

We will take in Downieville, Mammoth & Santa Cruz for a bit longer than last time, but if anyone else has been there and has any other suggestions they would be welcomed!

PS: We do plan to do San Juan this time as well as we didn’t get there last time.

loddrik
    Free Member

OK for some, I’ll be lucky to get to CyB…

rolkin
    Free Member
    ltheisinger
    Free Member

rolkin – Member

i’d check the weather before you go…

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/38/20110118/tsc-scientists-warn-of-superstorm-headin-98fda55.html

Good job I’m not going until September!

zinger
    Free Member

here’s a trip report from a trip we did to California back in 2005

http://www.mtb-hol.com/California2005/cal_2005.html

Lifer
    Free Member

Big Bear, no idea what it’s like now but 10 years ago there was some fantastic riding.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Thanks Zinger _ very similar to the one we did last year, but I’ll have a read and hopefully find something new in there! 😀

Lifer – thanks buddy I’ll look that up.

robbo
    Free Member

Fave spots along Skyline from Santa Cruz to San Francisco – EcdM (Skeggs) and other bits. Plenty of good stuff north of SF as well.

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

There are some riders from the retrobike.com site who are planning to come to California for an event about that time. The Old World Mountain Bike Championships (OWMTBC) will not be a serious event, but plans are for the English riders to join with me and a few other locals for rides on…

Repack. Of course.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Repack Rider – Member

Repack. Of course.

Ahhh….the Repack! Memories – that hopefully will be repeated! I will take a look on Retro Bike. Thanks Charlie.

Flashy
    Free Member

I was in Mammouth last year, couldn’t ride…………..wah

Went up to the top it looked awsome. A choice of routes ranging from about 40 to 4 miles down from the top………the short one looked “interesting”

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Flashy – Member

Went up to the top it looked awsome. A choice of routes ranging from about 40 to 4 miles down from the top………the short one looked “interesting”

Do you mean here…..(WE LOVED MAMMOTH! – so much so we’re going back in Sept 😀 )

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Hi all – dont mean to gatecrash the thread but when are you guys out there? Im planning to be there for a spell this Summer too..

BTW Im new & shiny here so be nice puhlease!

edit. just noticed its September your headed out so I will miss you, Im there in August – gonna roast!

ltheisinger
    Free Member

^^^ That’s a shame – we could’ve hooked up. AUGUST! 😯 You’re brave! We found it VERY hot when riding in September.

flashes
    Free Member

Yes, if you look carefully you can see bikes on the longer route down;

scaredypants

PS: We do plan to do San Juan this time as well as we didn’t get there last time.

yeh, it’s good fun
    (you could have a look for san juan and los pinos trails (pretty much exactly the same area and you can go up san juan, down los pinos but I reckon san juan downwards is ACE. Never done los pinos cos they say the trail’s a bit vague, overgrown, can be dangerous and doesn’t get much traffic – and I always tend to be alone)

There’s another route quite nearby called the luge which is a pretty short loop (45-90 min?) involving parking at a pub and a good fun, fast & bermy descent (lot of road ascent, and the final drop to the bar is road too). You could easily do san juan plus the luge in a day with a midday break, even if not that fit (like meeee 😳 ) then sleep the night outside cooks (or laguna trails – telonics etc – are maybe 45 min drive from either site too)

mrlebowski
    Free Member

No worries singer. Enjoy repack, I always try & pay my respects when there!

ltheisinger
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member

Great info thanks buddy! We did the Laguna trails last year (Laguna Niguel), hence the change to hopefully ride San Juan and the info you’ve given should help. Cheers.

scaredypants

lebowski – when & where ?

(orange county from 1-12 Aug)

ltheisinger – if you want more info, send us an email

(this book isn’t bad – bit old now but has seen me right for years

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Oh well….California again it is!’ is closed to new replies.