Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Oh no – not another Nukeproof mega Thread!
  • freeridenick
    Free Member

Anyone running one with a single 32 upfront. Specs say a 36 best – to big for me anyway. Just wondering what if any the issues might be?

Gotama
    Free Member

Suspension bob i believe.

Edit – although i believe the optimum for a 5 is a 34 and i use a 32 with no real issue. Depends how fussy you are i guess.

marionheck
    Free Member

Excuse my ignorance, but how can a bike have an optimum chain ring size? Is bob not a matter of the suspension design and shock dampening? How can a chain ring size influence this?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Thats the chief test rider below, he used to practice on a rodeo bull before using his nukeproof mega with a 32tooth chainring

Gotama
    Free Member

Technically i don’t know, somefink to do with the pivot point. I do remember Brant going on about someone being daft putting a Hammerschmidt on a single pivot cos they bob more when the chainring is smaller. I’m sure someone clever will be along in a sec to explain.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Something to do with the chain tension under the compression of the suspension.

Hence why some frames need a fair dose of Pro Pedal to stop them bobbing during granny ring climbing.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Ideally i only want a single – but suppose can run a dual with granny if going to make that much difference. 😕

Gotama
    Free Member

Wouldn’t worry about it, doesn’t cause any issues on the five. Besides, using the granny will make the bob worse! The smaller the chainring you go the worse it is so if you’re going to use a granny you may as well stick with the 32 and not worry about it.

climbingkev
    Free Member

My understanding is that the circumference of a 36t chain-ring lies bang in the centre of the suspension pivot (that’s certainly how it looks on mine – un-ridden as yet as Winstanleys are muppets…..a long story :evil:) therefore the chain pull neither pulls the swing-arm up or down.

So all the time you have a granny ring it’s not even relevant. I’d imagine the need for a 32t over 36t would out-weigh the bob factor(if it’s even noticeable!!!).

freeridenick
    Free Member

cool thanks chaps. Maybe 34 then!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Oh no – not another Nukeproof mega Thread!’ is closed to new replies.