Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Offroad rides anywhere between Banbury and Oxford?
  • mboy
    Free Member

Am stuck at Middle Aston on a training course (it’s about half way between Oxford and Banbury) for the next 3 weeks on training course with work. Ok, I get to go home at the weekends, but there’s 3 of us here that all ride (now we’ve got chatting and found out a few things about each other), so next week we’re thinking of bringing our bikes along to get out a couple of evenings in the week.

Trouble is, that whilst I know Oxford (and how crap it is for riding), and I know Banbury (and likewise), we’re kinda limited by time so will only be able to get out for a couple of hours locally. So anyone know Middle Aston? Anyone suggest some bridle paths (as that’s about all it’ll be I guess) to go and ride for a couple of hours?

Cheers in advance

dc2.0

I used to live around there. Not much off-road riding at all really. Best bet would be to drive down to Watlington/Wallingford and pick up the various trails in the Chilterns/Ridgeway. There used to be a bike shop in Deddington, just south of Banbury, who you could ask.

r6ymy
    Free Member

Haven’t ridden there, it’s a bit too far east from Witney, but looking on the map I can see a few bridleways you could work into a loop. From Middle Aston road through Steeple Aston and Rousham, cross the A4260 at Rousham Gap, then bridleway to Steeple Barton, road though Middle Barton and then north to Down Hill Farm, bridleway to Duns Tew, then a short bit of road to cross the A4260 again before an off road descent back to Middle Aston. Have you got the OS map for the area? If not I could scan it and email.

nickc

I live in Brackley (just up the road) there’s eff all TBH, just field edge stuff. If you’ve an evening spare, I’d be happy to show you round some of the Chilterns. Watlington is a good place to start, and it’s 25 minutes down the M40.

ps44
    Free Member

Nearest would be to hop over to the triangle between Hook Norton / Shipston / Tysoe. There’s loads of riding to be done there of reasonable quality, and it’s all dry as a bone. A few interesting bits around Edge Hill. And the Cotswolds are only 20 miles away – get over to Stow/Moreton/Blockley and ride for hours.

mboy
    Free Member

r6ymy, yeah could you email me the OS map to mbonnes AT gmail DOT com if you would…

Cheers to everyone else, problem is we’re only gong to have a couple of hours spare max of an evening, so travelling anywhere first will be a no no… Could do with road bikes really!

MrK
    Free Member

i lived in brackley most my life, nickc!

the bike shop in deddington is still there – worth a try. i used to have a nice 35 mile loop from brackley that went near the astons… can’t remeber it though 😕

Mattie_H
    Free Member

Mboy

A few of us ride out of Oxford every Tuesday evening–now that the days are getting longer you can just about manage without lights as well. There’s some decent stuff around here if you know where to look. You’re welcome to join us if you want.

Cheers
    Matt

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Offroad rides anywhere between Banbury and Oxford?’ is closed to new replies.