Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Offline OS maps: memory map on android…?
  • wheeliejim
    Free Member

Anyone tried Memory Maps android app? Any good?

I’m specifically interested in using my v5 maps on it, which I understand I need to pay $20 to allow it to read “classic” maps.

I’ve installed a demo of a 3rd party app called MM tracker which reads v5 maps and that’s $9.99 to get the fully working version, but I’d guess the pukka MM would be better.

Cheers, WJ

balfa
    Free Member

I’m not sure the ‘pukka MM’ is any better than MM Tracker. I’ve been using MM tracker the last couple of months and have been quite happy with that. Installed the MM app but couldn’t see anything worthy of paying the extra for classic map compatibility.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

+1 for MMTracker. Only downside is I can’t get the ascent/descent off a track without uploading it to my PC. Minor niggle, which I’ll put in a request to the guy behind it.

wheeliejim
    Free Member

Thanks – I’ll give MM tracker a shot then 🙂

Cheers

DrP

Mmtracker +1 too!

DrP

wheeliejim
    Free Member

OK – so I bought MMTracker – it’s exactly what I was looking for. Initial impressions very good! Thanks!

clubber
    Free Member

How about GVsig maps – free and allows you to do OS downloads (IIRC)

https://confluence.prodevelop.es/display/GVMN/Home;jsessionid=BCCD5D64FFE6620C69D783F8E1A0A75C

user-removed
    Free Member

I bought an app called Back Country Navigator Pro for about 6 quid. It’s primarily online but if you like, you can preload maps onto your sd card. Well featured and full UK OS mapping.

flatpat
    Free Member

So do you load chunks of map onto your phone? Does it take much disk/card space? Is it awkward to do?

I’ve been using Maverick on my android phone for a while – provided scan around the area I’m riding beforehand (preferrably on the wireless network at home) it happily downloads OS maps for easier access later.

Would using this MMTracker thing (also got some old MM maps on the PC) be a steo above?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Plug phone into computer. Transfer qct files into “maps” folder on SD card. Follow MMTRacker setup instructions. Sorted. I’ve got all of North of England at 1:50k and 1:25k on mine and got loads of space to spare. I’ll transfer the rest when I need them.

pease
    Free Member

i use view ranger and love it 🙂

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

I’ve got maverick, AlpineQuest and MM tracker.

How do you create offline maps?

mark90
    Free Member

Another MMTracker user here. Have been using it for about a year now I think. Not even looked at the pukka MM app, they took so long bringing it out, and MMTracker does all that I require. Have all UK OS50K and selected OS25K loaded on the SD card in my phone. Also works great on the wifey’s Android tablet for planning routes etc.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’ve been happily using MMTracker ever since I replaced my windows Mobile phone with an android phone. I can’t think of any reason why I would want to switch over to MMs own software now they have released it especially as they will want to charge me again to use the old maps I have already paid them for.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve got Memory Map on my phone (HTC Sensation XE) and my Galaxy Tab 10.1 and I haven’t paid any extra for it, I just loaded the app from the MM site and copied the map files across.

wheeliejim
    Free Member

I believe the new DRM maps (if you have those) you don’t need to pay anything for, but to use the old v5 maps you need to pay $19.95 for an add on to read them. To be fair, knowing OS, MM probably have to pay most of that to them..

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Offline OS maps: memory map on android…?’ is closed to new replies.