Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)
  • Office Car Park Stereotypes…
  • hels
    Free Member

Inner city office.

2 whole car parking spaces, 1 Saab and the other varies.

4 motorbike spaces, 2 scooters, Yamaha YBR 125 (mine!) and a Ninja (IT guy)

30 cycles spaces, mostly commuter hybrids and Halford jobbies.

molgrips
    Free Member

What I mean is, people who drive around thinking onlookers will look on in awe at their magnificent (although only in their minds) vehicle are the cocks

How do you know that’s what they are thinking though?

I like Audi A5s, one day I might get one, but I wouldn’t do it because of what others might think, I’d do it because I would like it.

If I like a certain car, it would be stupid NOT to get it because of what other people might thing, no?

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Perhaps some people just like their cars Joao.
    I like nice cars and I know people with cars that could be considered flash by jealous types. However, most of them bought the car because they wanted that car for the way it handles, accelerates, looks or whatever and don’t give a monkey’s what other people think.

jon1973
    Free Member

What I mean is, people who drive around thinking onlookers will look on in awe at their magnificent (although only in their minds) vehicle are the cocks.

That statement says more about you than the person driving the car. Seems to imply a slight inferiority complex.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I usually chuckle at them tbh it is the middle aged more affluent version of souping up your saxo. i am sure some just like cars but I cannot believe that no one does it in a look at me manner Suburau for example do they just want to blend into the background and not draw attention to themselves?

could be considered flash by jealous types

Yes it is all the fault of the person viewing the type of car you drive …..says nothing about you at all.
    Prius driver and a range rover driver probaly share a similiar outlook on life eh?
    I like the gerneral attempt to be dismissive of folk who are not overly impressed by your car choice which apparently says nothing about you.
    BMW can cost the same as Volvo for example so why have the flash one rather than the boring safe one?

LoCo
    Free Member

T4 transporter outside
    Bmx and Yamaha srx (soon to be joined by a Kawasaki ZX 7R inside) only me here to today 8)

molgrips
    Free Member

I usually chuckle at them tbh it is the middle aged more affluent version of souping up your saxo

Sometimes, but I suspect less often than you think.

aP
    Free Member

I was in town for something on Wednesday afernoon and watched an early 60s gent attempting to get his very, very new Nissan GTR parked on Henrietta Street. Seemed to take some time. He’d have better off with a merc – at least he wouldn’t have had that pained look as he got in and out of it to try and see quite how close to the kerb he was parking.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I don’t think that any sweeping stereotype can apply to any marque of car, or their owners… but however much you like or loathe them cars are a status symbol.

Some of the soundest people I know could afford to but eschew driving a top end marque. They don’t want people looking at them.

Some of the saddest posers I know, drive cars beyond their means complete with personalised number plate. They let you know what car they’re driving too.

Junkyard
    Free Member

how often do I think and see my edit – it was mainly for you 😆
    some people like cars fine no issue with this but you cannot get upset that you buy a flash one and someone forms an opinion of you
    i drive a 1.4 hdi peugeot says i dont value flash fast cars like high mpg dont drive fast etc prety accurate tbh. possibly not well off [possibly in the wifes cars [ cross linking to sexism thread now :wink } all true tbh

Junkyard
    Free Member

TSY did a sesnible post – basically what he sais

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I like the gerneral attempt to be dismissive of folk who are not overly impressed by your car choice which apparently says nothing about you.

Is that directed at me? I don’t think anyone is impressed by my beat up S reg Colt.

BMW can cost the same as Volvo for example so why have the flash one rather than the boring safe one?

Because a BMW will be loads more fun to drive.

some people like cars fine no issue with this but you cannot get upset that you buy a flash one and someone forms an opinion of you

yes I could. Why do people have to judge a book by it’s cover?

molgrips
    Free Member

Well that’s a fair point, but BMWs do drive fairly well I suppose. I don’t doubt that you are right in many cases.

I only know one Audi driver and he is quite phenomenally mild mannered and self-effacing 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I only know one Audi driver and he is an accountant?

PJM1974
    Free Member

My brother owns a 5 series and makes a point of always letting people out of junctions and indicating before manoeuvring. He’s an extremely polite chap.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Old orrifice:
    MS Conv, 330D Touring (2off), 530D Touring, 318Ci,Mini CooperS (4off) Cupra Turbo, Mini Conv (2off), Smarts (7off)
    New orrifice:
    A good few TT’s with a smattering of SAAB’s (9.3’s and a 9.5) and a couple of Merc C’s (but boggo spec’d).

coffeeking
    Free Member

If you can’t tell the difference in handling, feel, internal parts and have absolutely no interest in cars – fine, buy the ugly one. I’m another person who buys cars based on what I think of them, not what others think of them, if what I want is a car I think looks nice to me why should I have you judging me because you think I bought it to impress you?

In our carpark there’s a vast array of cars and bike, bike shed is uusally overflowing and there seems to be no pattern in the car ownership. No-one in the car park can be seen to be driving a flash car, but then I know for a fact that most of the staff in the car park have a flash car they keep at home for weekends.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If you drive a German car then theres a good chance you’re a cock.

Anything else and your sound.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeti – IT consultant actaully 🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member

If you drive a German car then theres a good chance you’re a cock.

Anything else and your sound.

I own three 😳

Two of which are standard STW issue, I think I’ve become a cliche 😉

randomjeremy
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member

If you drive a German car then theres a good chance you’re a cock I’m jealous of you so I call you a cock to gloss over the aching sense of inferiority you give me.

takisawa2

I can even be arsed to summon up words about the cars in our car park. Its that boring. And my 160k mile Mondeo is out there somewhere.
    (Usiauul bike in, but errands to run today).

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Operations director always drives a RangeRover last 3 have had one
    Other directors all drive Prestige Coupes, BMW M6, Merc E-class coupe, Jaguar XF.

joao3v16
    Free Member

What I mean is, people who drive around thinking onlookers will look on in awe at their magnificent (although only in their minds) vehicle are the cocks

How do you know that’s what they are thinking though?

Generally, you probably don’t. But that’s the perception created by some.

There are people I know who are car-snobs, and for some reason drive around in flash cars believing everyone’s looking at their car drooling over it… these are the type of people I am talking about…

Then again, there are 17-year-old spooty yoofs driving 10-year-old Corsa’s who think the same thing…

godzilla
    Free Member

Our work carpark has.
    3 x Berlingo multispace
    1 x T5 people carrier
    2 x Vauxhall vans
    Stw is possibly the only place this combination may be viewed as mildly cool.
    If had a nice MK1/MK2 Golf GTI outside would that instantly demoted me cock status?

Junkyard
    Free Member

think looks nice to me why should I have you judging me because you think I bought it to impress you?

I dont think you bought it to impress me. For example if you wear a suit or dress like a tramp i assume you have not done either too impress me [ unless we are dating in which case I much prefer tramp tbh 😉 ] but if you think people wont draw conclusions based on this you are terribly naive.
    I am sure every BMW driver is just a Volvo loving person who appreciated the better engineering and a nicer ride quality of the BMW …after all they did test drive the volvo for comaprison didn’t they.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Junkyard, genuinely interested to know why this is such a thing for you.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I don’t think Junky has got a real thing about this.
    Have you seen him start talking about politics?

Junkyard
    Free Member

TSY is correct dont make me get all urgent like rick from the young ones as i explode in a lefty liberal PC tutting lentil munching guardian reading fury it aint pretty or very well spelled.
    big issue – this ? not really, you seem a bit more worked up than me

If you drive a German car then theres a good chance you’re a cock I’m jealous of you so I call you a cock to gloss over the aching sense of inferiority you give me.

– their comment was foolish to be fair
    People will look at a car and assume something about the owner as the prius v range rover or bmw v volvo shows. drive what you like bit if you think they dont project an image you are being naive.
    it will not always be true but it will happen.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Stop worrying about what the other bloke rides/drives etc & get on with yer own life – I guarantee he doesn’t give a f*ck what you or anyone else thinks.

Gary_M
    Free Member

About 250 ‘just cars’ and the chairman large merc s500 v12, sounds amazing

Oh and 1 kona Jake the snake.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

[pedant mode] S500 is a V8 [/pedant mode]

I love cars! and bikes 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

Junkyard do you really think a BMW is flash? How odd. And you say you chuckle to yourself, that’s quite sad. You must have very little self worth.

Might not be s500 leggyblond, might be a 600 or 650, definately a v12 though Is the 500 a 2 door coupe? It’s a 4 door beast, very nice inside.

molgrips
    Free Member

People DO make assumptions about car drivers, of course.. but I think that the reality is more complicated than the people making the assumptions think.

I have often wondered what car I’d get if I made it big. One would definitely be a Prius that I would mod for extra luxury and fuel economy 🙂

nedrapier

not much space downstairs, prob 10 cars. 3 Astons, Range Rover, balance are saabs, Bimmers and mercs. Never seen anybody arrive or leave in them. Chap on the Goldwing gets in about the same time as me, listens to the radio as he gets changed. nice bloke.

Loads of bikes though, from flash to shocking. be more interesting to look at who owns them.

Junkyard
    Free Member

troll but what the hell i will bite [ Molgrips I thought criticising parents chidcare would get a response why did you not give me the heads up about car threads?]

Junkyard do you really think a BMW is flash? How odd.

I said it was flash in comparison to a volvo no one as yet has challenged this claim until you described it as odd. You think a Volvo is flasher than a BMW then?

And you say you chuckle to yourself, that’s quite sad.

I said I chuckle at them not to myself it is sadder you cant read

You must have very little self worth.

Not subtle enough to warrant response
    Molgrips I am seeing you in a westwooded prius tbh Top DAWG
    of course your orange 5 matches it

molgrips
    Free Member

Molgrips I am seeing you in a westwooded prius tbh Top DAWG

Pause to look that up…

Pause over – westwood? What do you mean?

nedrapier

I reckon my shabby Mondeo estate says that I’m more bothered about space and utility than looks or London nippiness – unrepaired scratches, missing hubcap.

Or that I’m a lazy cheapskate, but still want a big car.

You can make judgements about people based on the car they drive. You won’t always be right, but you probably won’t be far off a lot of the time.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Gangst Molsta Mother Hubbard, yeeeeahhh bwoy!

Gary_M
    Free Member

You think a Volvo is flasher than a BMW then?

I don’t think either are ‘flash’ they’re just normal cars.

Love the ‘can’t read’ comment, how mature. Perhaps when you’re old enough to drive you’ll see things differently.

I said I chuckle at them not to myself it is sadder you cant read

So your saying you laugh out loud then?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Office Car Park Stereotypes…’ is closed to new replies.