Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • off road running shoes
  • jedi

i'm going to buy some tomorrow. i feel the need/want to run again. any recommends?
    cheers

judderman
    Free Member

inov8 mudclaws

grahamt1980

All my running shoes are Asics.
    Got the trail lahar gtx for off road, plenty of grip and keeps the splashes off. Sadly if its really chucking it down it keeps the rain in too, but well sometimes you win.
    I love asics trainers, prob wont get any others for running now

aracer
    Free Member

inov8 (but then I would say that 😉 ) Roclite 315 if you're after something for general use. Mudclaws are great shoes but too specific for most people's needs (not good on hard surfaces), whilst the Roclites are almost as good on soft stuff but a lot better on hard.

IanMunro
    Free Member

inov8 are ace, but with these puppies you can almost feel the force to it's full extent 🙂

http://birthdayshoes.com/first-trail-run-in-vibram-fivefingers-kso-trek

Only had mine a couple of weeks, but i'm smitten 🙂

jedi

yeah i always used to use asics

sofatester
    Free Member

I've never had any trouble with Hitec Silver Shadows, there light, cheap and have a tough flat sole so your foot has a consistent platform to push off/land on. As long as you build up slow and let your stabilizers develop, you should have no problems. Can't see why you need to spend £80+ on trainers that effectively stop your foot doing what it was designed to do.

#Tries to force lid back on the can of worms he has just opened#

stonemonkey
    Free Member

All my experience of inov8s is of them falling apart , particularly around the heel area , i stopped buying a year ago so thing may have got better, since then i have been using la Sportiva Crosslite's

They are a great shoe, nice and light and fit ME well. Only weakness is grip on wet rock, but you cant have everything eh!

nickc

Look, there goes a worm…

Nike Air Pegasus. £55. Nice neutral shoe, not too heavy. Nike shoes fir me, but others don't like 'em

Picto
    Free Member

Happy with asics.

oldgit
    Free Member

Inov8s

Blimey silver shadows. They almost crippled me, the soles used to be very thick and the tops used to roll off the soles. The only shoe I ever had that actually caused physical damage. Thanks to Runners Needs and a pair of Nike Equators I got back running again. Used to flit between Nike Pegasus and Reebok PB's.

sofatester
    Free Member

Blimey silver shadows. They almost crippled me

Whimp 😉

MrSparkle

Howd on a minute, he's not said what sort of off road running. It's like somebody saying 'I ride a bike off road what tyres do I need?'. Jedi – are you doing trail, fell or what? I get on with Inov8's mostly, my feet don't fit Walshes and I used to use Saucony for Trail stuff.

andy_hew
    Free Member

I went to a good running shop (Pete Blands in Kendal) and told what type of running I was doing. Ended up with a pair Mizuno Wave Harrier 2's for about £50. Did about 8 miles in them on Saturday and I was very impressed

antigee

i find innov8's a bit wide for my feet so they slop and i don't really have wide feet also i would echo the build comments – overated

my vote is for salomons – i've had a few pairs xcr's as you can run on road as well as off in them – i know not everyone like warm feet though

suspect the birthday shoe thing will be big in london parks

jedi

i got some asics off road jobs. more cushioniong and compression tights…oooohhher!

cant wait for tomorrow morning to actually run again!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Cool!, Have you got some race in mind, or just waking up some different muscles?

mudsux
    Free Member

inov8s are the narrowest running shoe I've tried in equivilant sizings. I have wider feet than normal but my Saucony and Asics fit great.

jedi

just going to get back to my own shape again. 3yrs as a bloater is enough 🙂

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i got some inov8 roclite 305s a couple of weeks ago and i'm finding them to be superb so far.

Jamie
    Free Member

I recently got some Inov-8 295s from Pete Blands website for £50 in the sale for when it gets muddy. Coped admirably in the Peaks the other weekend.

When its a bit dryer/firmer (+ minor road use)i use these:

jedi

i am really looking forward totomorrow and running for the 1st time in over 3yrs!

Jamie
    Free Member

I love running off road….and now i have finally past my driving test i can just drive down to the local woods and run round them as opposed to run the several miles of paths to get there…horaay!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Get yourself a copy of this jedi, I reckon you'll love it! 🙂
    http://tinyurl.com/y85o7eg

oldgit
    Free Member

@ mudsux
    That's bloomin odd, I have wide feet and wear Inov8 and Nike, but strangely found Asics too narrow? There was a brand I can't recall but none of their running shoes would go on my feet, Italian I think.

Jamie
    Free Member

….i would wait till the paperback is out 15th of next month as it will be about a tenner cheaper.

Incidentally i find Inov8s narrow. Stick to usual size but run with either 3mm instead of 6mm innersoles….or just take them out altogether so there is more volume available. The prob with Inov8s, despite the shonky workmanship, is they differ in sizing across their range.

metalheart
    Free Member

I like my inov8's for off road.

Unfortunately too much of a bloater to do my preferred off road run as its too damn steep.

Currently bashing it out on the road (mostly) in preparation for the Balmoral 10k end of next month.

Must admit fancy a go on them 'barefoot' ones though…

jd-boy
    Free Member

WALSH fell running shoes, the b****, used to run in them on KIMM and SLM events, very grippy and comfy, had a sole like an old Panaracer spike

sambob
    Free Member

i use adidas swoops for walking and hockey, really light and comfy, grippy on almost everything 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

I have a pair of Inov8 Mudrocs that I got at a Go Outdoors pretty reasonably. They fit my incredibly narrow size 12 feet really well.

Just started running in them, but they've also been my bike shoes for the last year or so, for Kielder 100 and general riding.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Walsh.

Made in Bolton, England.

That label puts a smile on my face and I'm not even English…

Very good hill running shoes too – firm and sensitive.

aracer
    Free Member

The reason different people have different ideas about whether Inov8s are narrow or wide fitting is because different shoes in the range have different widths. In general the more race oriented shoes and fell shoes are quite narrow, but the more trail oriented ones eg Flyroc are a bit wider. The 315s I'm recommending are somewhere in between. If you look on the website they do tell you which are which – here's the wider fitting ones http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Recommended-By-Features.asp?S=%25&T=%25&RC=%25&LA=324&PG=PG1&L=26&G=%25

I wear out all my Inov8s inside the heel, and also had the upper on an early pair rip apart (orienteering is rather tougher on shoes than that particular model is designed for!) Though I wear out the inside of the heels on all brands of shoe due to heel spurs and to be fair they are very light shoes and durability weighs. 315s are certainly more durable than the lighter racier shoes – I've abused mine to the point I'd probably have made any shoe rather tired and they still work. If you want Inov8s that last then go for heavier models (eg Terroc).

I should mention for those who've missed me saying it before that I used to get free Inov8 stuff, so I'm obviously a bit biased (but it does mean I know a lot about the products, having chatted with the people there). I do have to pay real money now, and will still buy more Inov8 shoes when my current ones really do get too worn out (I think the midsole on my 315s is collapsing, so that may be pretty soon) – also no particular reason for me not to recommend something else if I thought it was better.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘off road running shoes’ is closed to new replies.