Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Odd wireless problem…
  • the-muffin-man

I’m getting 9mb wireless download speed on my laptop and desktops Macs, but my iphone refuses to download at much more than 500k usually a lot less!

I’ve searched every option I can think off on the router and phone but no amount of fiddling seems to improve the speed – can anyone shed any light onto what may be the problem.

Ta!

Speedtest result from laptop…

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

iphones are cack.?

the-muffin-man

Nope, not that – I get 6mb+ download speed at work on my iphone! 🙂

Greybeard
    Free Member

Which spec wireless are all the items running, eg, 11b, 11g, 11n… ?

What speeds do you get transfering between the components? I know there’s no obvious reason why that might tell you anything, but you’re at the stage where you need to look for the oddities.

DenDennis
    Free Member

have you by any chance got someone next door with one of those super-strong BT hubs?
    my colleague has had one interfering with his signal apparently.
    changed his home one to beam out on another channel or something….
    not sure if this relevant?

the-muffin-man

Bump for the daytime posters.

Which spec wireless are all the items running, eg, 11b, 11g, 11n… ?

I’ve tried it on various settings, but none seem to make much difference.

I’ve just done a speedtest from my iPhone at work and get 5mb download, so that sort of rules the phone out!

spooky_b329

Have you a BT Hub or similar (or a neighbour) that is broadcasting an Openzone or Fon hotspot? It could be connecting to that.

If I leave my wireless enabled overnight on my Android phone, my router turns off the wireless at midnight to save power, then it turns back on at 6am and the phone connects to the Fon hotspot rather than my own wireless channel.

(Fon and Openzone via a Hub have a restricted bandwidth to prevent the primary user suffering performance issues)

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Does it improve if you turn off encryption?

And a handy checklist: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4199

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Odd wireless problem…’ is closed to new replies.