Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Observations of a Cyclist at a Running race
  • snotrag

A) Communal warm-up – what’s that all about!

B) Runners have no concept of what “I got really muddy” actually means.

C) The split of time spent faffing versus actually competing is about 300% more efficient than any bike race format.

D) Spectators tend to “support” rather than “heckle”. Apparently Run you bastard! is not what your supposed to shout at the leaders.

E) Nobody’s getting drunk?

It’s all very curious.

qwerty
    Free Member

Was anyone warming up on a treadmill ?

zilog6128

Did a longish ride once to meet the GF at the end of a 20 mile race one time. Due to the race route (not closed roads, and along the only quiet, safe cycling route) I cycled (slowly & carefully) with the runners for the last 5 miles. I’d estimate the majority were recreational rather than serious club runners and virtually no-one looked like they were enjoying themselves! Even gave up on my customary cheery hello because no-one was in the mood! Just grimaces of pain, desperate to get to the end! The complete opposite a hard ride (for me), where I enjoy everything about it (the effort, scenery, friendly competition, etc)

benw
    Free Member

A hard ride and a race are two completly different things,you obviously don’t race.At the end of a race road/cross or mtb there is no cheery helloing going on

CraigW
    Free Member

Depends on what sort of running race.
    Yes, the big/commerical road races have a wide range of people taking part, including plenty who may not be very fit. Plus more ‘fun stuff’ like a warmup etc. Whereas if you look at a hill race, it would be mostly more serious runners. And plenty of hill races where you can get really muddy.

curto80
    Free Member

And this is why I don’t parkrun

oldtalent
    Free Member

Sounds rubbish. Bet there are no chainsaws either.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

There’s few things more annoying than someone on a bike at a running race ‘supporting’ someone. Really off putting, there’s no way they are watching what everyone else is doing.

bensales
    Free Member

snotrag – Member
    B) Runners have no concept of what “I got really muddy” actually means.

Go to a club level cross-country race and you’ll soon be disabused of that notion. And you’ll wonder why anyone pays Wolfrun any money at all.

andyrm
    Free Member

At the end of a race road/cross or mtb there is no cheery helloing going on

All the MTB races I’ve done over the years (including a good few EWS abroad) have all been super friendly. Competitive as hell between the tapes but smiles, hugs and beers at the end.

falkirk-mark

Just grimaces of pain, desperate to get to the end!

They are like roadies that can’t even afford a bike no wonder they are miserable

km79
    Free Member

That looks too cold to be runing about in a bikini.

lunge

Races are hard, of course they’re not smiling. Even Parkrun is hard if you want it to be an that’s only 5k, say hello to be as I’m trying to do a sub 20 minute run and I can assure you I’ll give very little back mainly as I’m struggling to breath.
    Think of it as more like the end of a road race, everyone on their knees going as deep as they can.

downhillfast
    Free Member

It’s true, majority of runners I see out and about look thoroughly miserable 😆

Mind You, I do find a “steady” run is a fair bit more strenuous than a “steady” ride, so maybe there’s a reason for their gimaced faces…

deadkenny
    Free Member

I remember school cross country used to always be like the above muddy pics. Would be cold, maybe raining, very muddy, running around some woodland. Actually kind of enjoyed it.

These days many schools won’t do it for H&S and just have them running around a field.

prawny

That looks too cold to be runing about in a bikini.

Nah she forgot her kit so she’s had to do it in her vest and pants.

bensales
    Free Member

That’s Emelia Gorecka, she’s a bit good… she won that race (Southern XC Championships 2014), unsurprisingly. 6km in just over 22 minutes in tough XC conditions. Most people couldn’t do 5km in that on that road.

http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=17124

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Observations of a Cyclist at a Running race’ is closed to new replies.