Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • oakley black iridium lenses
  • willfaz
    Free Member

after some new lenses for the summer, tinted, like the look of the really dark ones which have a mirror effect. I read that the black iridium ones are this type, but if you look on CRC;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=16158

They look yellow/beige, like the fire ones, which is not what I want.

Any ideas what I am after?

njee20
    Free Member

Black iridium is very dark, black in fact, and are what you’re after. IMO they’re a bit too dark most of the time off road.

crikey
    Free Member

+1.
    Black iridium is a looking at ladies on a beach of white sand at midday lens.

vinnyeh

That picture is just simulating a light source reflecting off the lens.

Not quite what you’re after, but this link gives a useful visual guide to the effect of different tints.

willfaz
    Free Member

thanks for that all, that final link is actually really interesting. Shame they don’t put a picture of the lens from the outside next to it as well.

Think I’ll go for them then 🙂

matthewjb
    Free Member

Looking at that link it seems that the Black Iridium MX lenses are different from Oakley’s normal Black Iridium lenses.

I’d say avoid normal Black Iridium for off-road unless you live in a very sunny place. But the MX ones seem to let quite a bit more light through.

gren
    Free Member

I’ve had some black iridiums for years but would never use them for cycling unless you were permanently in bright sunlight. They are perfect for on holiday as they block out all glare but keep all colour and contrast.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

It all depends on how sensitive your eyes are. I can’t go outside here at any time during the day without my black iridiums on but my mate manages fine without any sunglasses.

njee20
    Free Member

I use black iridium on the road quite a bit, and do use them occasionally off road, but they are dark. IME ones eyes do tend to adjust, but I’d not choose them unless it was a very sunny day.

The Livestrong glasses all have black iridium:

mysterymove
    Free Member

The MX lens’s are different to Oakley’s standard Balck iridium. they are based on an persimion (sp?) lens so orange with a black iridium coating. These are fine for riding in the Alps or sunny days in the UK (ha ha ha) with as they reduce glare really well – if your after something darker go for the fire iridium as i think these are for really bright days…

Pretty sure Oakley sunglasses that everyone is referring to above are grey lens with black iridium.

hope this helps

Houns

Yep black iridium is on a grey base

I’m happy to wear black iridium for all but the gloomiest days

njee20
    Free Member

But we’re talking about sunglasses aren’t we…?

I thought OP was “I want black reflective sunglass lenses, but this link suggests they’re not black”.

– Goggles/MX ‘black’ iridium isn’t black (and the ice iridium is orange, which is very odd!)
    – Glasses black iridium is very black

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I use black iridium on the road quite a bit, and do use them occasionally off road, but they are dark. IME ones eyes do tend to adjust, but I’d not choose them unless it was a very sunny day.

+1

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘oakley black iridium lenses’ is closed to new replies.