Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Numpty! What I did this morning.
  • Picto
    Free Member

Morning started really well. Local 10 mile tt which went well. Rode home, swapped bikes and set off to the local bike emporium for post race banter.

Set off for the 2 mile ride canal tow path to the LBS. New 18 tooth sprocket fitted just before setting off. Got on the canal tow path, put some pressure on the pedals. Chain slipped off the sprocket. I lost control and went A over T in to the canal. Right under.

Remember thinking while I got my feet out of the clips, how clear the water was looking up at the sunlight shining on the surface, and how green were the weeds on the bottom.

Can also add how please I am that an 18" On One Inbred 29er floats.

Talkemada
    Free Member

😆

Excellent. Top work feller!

Did anyone witness this?

allthepies
    Free Member

😆

brakes
    Free Member

you should have left the bike in there, where it belongs

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

It's a shame that there wasnt someone stood by with a swanee whistle or a drumkit, just to add to the atmosphere.Glad you're ok. 😉

joe1983
    Free Member

I failed to clip out right outside the town hall today, only about 100 witnesses. Stayed dry though!

tazzymtb

You can't get out of buying beer that easily matey, near drowning is no excuse 😀

jam-bo

at least its sunny and warm. try doing that in december…

Picto
    Free Member

LOL Tazzymtb.

One grizzled old angler saw me – not the hundred passers by. No evidence of him rushing to help get out. Felt like a total c**k. No sympathy from the other half or the kids. Partner just laughed – slightly too much. Kids kindly observed that I smelt like a swamp.

Still need to remove the weeds from front hub.

Talkemada
    Free Member

you should have left the bike in there, where it belongs

Actually, an On One, you say? Oh dear. I fear it's probably half rusted away, as we speak. 🙁

Picto
    Free Member

Thankful it was this weekend and not any of the last few or it would have been very cold.

Picto
    Free Member

Indeed. Suppose I ought to make sure there is no water in the frame. And invest a in a stronger rear sproket, and add more chain tension and probably not ride near water for a while.

Any chance you can go back and do it again with a helmet cam on ?

jam-bo

GSuperstar
    Free Member

It these kind of posts that just make you smile 🙂

Picto
    Free Member

Jam bo – I wish!

bassspine
    Free Member

new sprocket + old chain ?

Picto
    Free Member

New sprocket + new chain. Bike only just put together very recently.

Sprocket seems a tad thin so may have flexed under pressureto enable the chain to slip off. Bought a wide based sprocket specifically for the singlespeed but not convinced it is up to it – running 1/8" chain and uno ring up front.

tazzymtb

is the chain line out a bit? will you be on the SS tomorrow? I'll have a look at it if you want. (and point and laugh if it's wrong) 😀

bassspine
    Free Member

(sorry, teaching granny to suck eggs)

I've had a similar off in similar circumstances, although I didn't have such a soft landing, suffice it to say that a proper chammy makes the stem/groin interface considerably less brutal.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

We (geared riders) are always told the beauty of ss is that you hardly ever have any mechanicals. It would appear that all those mechanicals have been saving themselves up for you there. You've saved a lot of other ss'ers some snapped chains in the cosmic karma roundabout. Take a bow.

Oh, and 😆

tazzymtb

hardly ever have any mechanicals

yes, but when we do, it's a proper one! none of this "ooooo my mechs not quite shifting properly" rubbish 😉

Ambrose

In a slightly similar vein- I picked up my can of beer just now- but ended up with a tin of WD40 between my lips. They taste very different.

tazzymtb

at least you tongue will be water repellent 🙂

Travis

lovely weekend for it

_tom_
    Free Member

haha, this is why I don't like riding near water!

zaskar
    Free Member

Was it deep water? good thing you can swim!

Picto
    Free Member

Can the chain line be wrong using standard spacers?
    Not sure what I will ride tomorrow.

tazzymtb

Can the chain line be wrong using standard spacers?

Oh my, Yes!

naokfreek
    Free Member

Super funny, nice work!

hora
    Free Member

Numpty! What I did this morning

Lucky.

duntmatter
    Free Member

You have to tell us though.. What tyres for canal weed?

Picto
    Free Member

Captains every time.

hora
    Free Member

Well with the Canals in Manchester I think it would be a case of a wet scream as the swampthing comes at you.

clunker

Did you get to the LBS?

Picto
    Free Member

I did. Had a nice cup of team and sat dripping on the floor.

benji_allen
    Free Member

My face is hurting from laughing at the image of this.

chainslapp
    Free Member

Hey Picto, if I knew you were going to throw that frame in the canal, I wouldnt of let you have it !! 😆

bighendo
    Free Member

Here`s Jim, he pulled the same stunt!
    oh tears of laughter 😀

Picto
    Free Member

Chainslapp – loving the frame. Not so keen on the transmission as set up by me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Numpty! What I did this morning.’ is closed to new replies.