Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Numpty single pivot shock question
  • juiced
    Free Member

Hi

Just fitted a new rear shock to my heckler and there is some play in the old Heckler bushing that push into the shock eye. As I lift the rear of the bike these a tiny amount of movement.The movement is between the bushing and the bolt. Shock is fine. Just occurs on the back end of the shock.

Do I need new shock bushes and where do I get these?

What’s the correct name for these bushes?

How tight do I clamp the shock in? Presumably as it moves it should be tight so there’s no play but loose enough to move. Bike is an old style Heckler.

Should rotating shock movement occur between the shock eye and the bush or between the bolt and shock bushing (i expect the later)

cheers

100mphplus
    Free Member

You need to replace the bushes and yes they are calles bushes!

TF Tuned and Mojo sell them or ebay. There will be specific torque settings for the clamp bolts but I tighten them as much as I can with the leverage from a normal Hex wrench.

The rotation occurs Btw the bush and pivot bolt, hence why the bush wears out.

juiced
    Free Member

thanks 100mphplus that’s great. 🙂

juiced
    Free Member

also what’s the best method of getting the bushes out of the shock if they’re a tight fit?

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

All you need to know about bushes
    Plus, if you get rotation between your bush and your bolt you have big problems! That is not how they work… The top hats (aluminium bits) should be done up tight with the bolt, and they don’t move at all relative to the frame (and bolt). The bush is the part that is rotating against the top hats, and it doesn’t move relative to the shock. It is essentially a sacrificial part to save the shock and make the suspension more supple. If you replace the bush soon after you first notice play, you usually can get away without replacing the top hats also. If there is lots of play, you’ll probably need both. For what it’s worth, the heckler is 8x22mm unless it’s a really old one.

100mphplus
    Free Member

You can either buy the proper tool to replace them, or you can use the new bush to push the old one out.

In both cases you’ll need a vice to do the job and a 15mm socket for the DIY method for the old bush to push into.

http://www.tftunedshox.com/catalogue/results.aspx?search=bush

or search ebay where you’ll Def find them cheaper shipped from USA, but if you’re in a rush use above.

juiced
    Free Member

cheers. That’s great.

juiced
    Free Member

It seems to be the top hat that’s worn.Is this a major problem?

Not getting rotation between the nut and top hat, the top hat is locked into the bush with no play at all.(However there’s movement between the top hat’s inner hole and the bolt) ( Tiny amount though).

Cheers guys.

legend
    Free Member

In both cases you’ll need a vice to do the job

not quite, with a normal bush tool you can use just a mallet. part of the design of them is to allow changes to be made at races and the like. just need to make sure it doesn’t sink into the ground 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Mine does this. Crank it up!

Folk don’t seem to be listening enough to hear what the problem is.

juiced
    Free Member

is it a hecker Cynical?

one of the shock bolts was not really tight, so I am guessing that alloy top hat has been turning and thus has worn, creating the play.

juiced
    Free Member

cheers just found a suitable kit. Thanks everyone. I have learned something today. Didn;t help with the OP that I didn’t know the terms.
    Thanks again.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Numpty single pivot shock question’ is closed to new replies.