• This topic has 18 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Del.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Numpty Kindle question
  • PJay
    Free Member

So, I’ve just bought a Kindle for my partner for Christmas. I’ve charged it from my computer and whilst connected it picked up my name (possible from my Amazon account). I haven’t registered it yet as I don’t know my partner’s Amazon password.

However, I’d like to be able to transfer some books across from my PC so there’s something there for Christmas, which I assumed would be fairly straight forward to do. When first connected the Kindle, Windows 7 installed some software and I assumed that (like mp3 players etc.) the Kindle would appear as a mass storage drive in My Computer for some drag ‘n’ drop transfer; it doesn’t (although I can see a Kindle internal memory drive in device manager but it appears to have no volume letter assigned).

So, how do I transfer via usb from a PC and should I see the Kindle as a drive? Do I need to register the device with Amazon first?

I’m running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

mogrim

Try Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/) – ideal for eBook management.

richmtb

There is a shareware program called “Calibre” for managing e-books, It works a bit like iTunes for ebooks, download it and import you e-book files in to the Calibre you can then uplaod them to your Kindle.

The calibre software also allows you to convert different e-book formats so that they are readable in the Kindle too (such as epub)

EDIT (Too Slow!)

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

If you’re my partner, why the hell are you opening my present?! I get first go 👿

mogrim

EDIT (Too Slow!)

🙂

mogrim

If you’re my partner, why the hell are you opening my present?! I get first go

I’ve bought a Kindle for mrs. mogrim this year, I’ve opened the box ‘cos a) it’s ugly, and b) I’ve bought a case too – and I plan to wrap it up nicely all stuck together. Just trying to work out if I can pre-install some books on it for her, too.

druidh
    Free Member

radtothepowerofsik – Member
    If you’re my partner, why the hell are you opening my present?!

To make sure it works so that there’s no disappointment on the big day?

AdamW
    Free Member

You should see the kindle as a drive and there is a folder in there called ‘Documents’, drag and drop your mobi/pdf’s into there and when you dismount and power up it will notice them.

Perhaps windows 7 has a ‘mount upon request’ doodad? (I use a mac so don’t know).

PJay
    Free Member

Ta all, will have a play when she’s not around. I was expecting it to mount as a drive, but perhaps I need to register it first.

I opened it to check it works and, hopefully, to put some books on it for Christmas.

Pieface

Letting her play about and set it up is part of her fun ont he day though surely?

(assuming it works)

mogrim

Did you need to register it to an email address or anything before using? Last thing I want is to fire it up, have to register it to one of my addresses and then be stuck with that for ever and ever and ever, when what I really want is for mrs. mogrim to open it on Christmas day with a couple of books already there, and then register it to her account…

mogrim

Letting her play about and set it up is part of her fun ont he day though surely?

Bet you work in IT! 🙂

richmtb

Mogrim, you don’t

I bought one for my dad and skipped the registration process. I then uploaded a bunch of e-books via calibre and it works fine.

You can change the registered user at any time though via the menu on the Kindle its not locked in to a particular user

iainc

I am in similar position – bought on my account, charged etc, then I reregistered it to hers. I then bought a £20 Amazon kindle voucher for her to go along with it

mogrim

Cheers richmtb and iainc, I’ll risk switching it on and uploading a book or two.

PJay
    Free Member

I haven’t registered it, I was just wondering whether that was the reason I wasn’t seeing it via USB as a drive. The thing is though that I set up the wifi key and it’s now claiming to me my (by name) Kindle so it’s picked up something via wifi or usb from my computer and I’m not quite sure how to change that (it may have read my Amazon account cookies or something).

Hopefully I’ve get a few books uploaded for Christmas.

Cougar

I haven’t registered it,

Yes you have, it comes pre-registered to your Amazon account (For Your Convenience) when you buy it. Easy enough to change, though.

Not sure why it’s not appearing as an external drive on your PC though. It should Just Work and appear as a mass storage device.

PJay
    Free Member

Ah, it is now. It was picked up by Windows 7 and the virus checker as soon as it was connected; the Kindle itself shows a USB connection screen. It must have been a first connection issue, perhaps it needed reconnecting or the PC rebooting after the driver install.

Del

may just have a ‘charge only’ setting which needs to be switched to have it appear as a drive i guess. android does that on my phone.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Numpty Kindle question’ is closed to new replies.