Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Numpty IT question
  • oldgrump08
    Free Member

I've discoved thousands of files in a Windows/Temporary Internet folder. Most are DAT, TXT and text documents. Any reason I shouldn't delete them, or perhaps more to the point any particular extensions I should keep?

scottyjohn
    Free Member

better to use a cleaner app as they generally know which can be deleted safely. Havent used one in ages though.

Jamie
    Free Member

You should be able to delete them all. They are in a temp folder after all.*

*I am not liable for exploding computers.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Cheers Jamie, your disclaimer tells me I should wait for further replies before hitting delete 😉

GrahamS

Wipe them via Options in Internet Explorer.

D0NK

anything in a temp or "temporary…" folder can be deleted, aslong as you have no other apps running at the time eg don't delete temp files while you have your life's work open in word 🙂

cranberry
    Free Member

Download CCleaner

Run it.

Job done.

Actually, also you should find some disk de-fragmentation software as well and run it periodically to keep your computer running at optimum speed.

Cougar

Use TFC, it's like CCleaner only better.

JohnnyPanic

Use TFC, it's like CCleaner only better.

How so?

cranberry
    Free Member

Cougar – it seems it might be a bit more aggressive at removing temp files than CCleaner, but from it's description it doesn't seem to either clean the registry or to give users the option of disabling programs set to autostart.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Numpty IT question’ is closed to new replies.