Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • numpty house electric question – help please !
  • iainc

a ceiling mounted light, with 2 bulbs in it just popped and tripped the upstairs lights. so i have taken the bulbs out, reset the trip and replaced the bulbs. neither of the new ones work. The new bulbs work fine in other lights as does one of the bulbs I took out. Its a hall light, about 10 yrs old, 2 x 60 watt bayonet bulbs. switch is on the wall and also operates bottom hall light, which is fine. all other upstairs lights are ok ????

iainc

so i guess there is no power in the light unit. I don’t have a tester thngy. there are 2 sets of blue and brown wires, one for each ceramic bulb holder. No visible earth. I think I will take the whole thing off the ceiling in daylight…

gingerss
    Free Member

Personally I’d check the wiring in the back of the light switch and fitting is properly tightened and the wires are in good condition. My first thought is that there’s a loose wire. Maybe you have a dimmer switch or such, maybe just a damaged switch or fitting. Could be a few things…

Obviously turn off the supply before doing owt. Not entirely sure what’s legal now but I don’t worry about that too much.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

When you say ‘popped’ did you hear a pop? If you did, It’ll be something loose somewhere. You should check this out straight away

gingerss
    Free Member

There should be another connection point where commonly you’ll have 3 neutral all connected with one going to the bulb, then 3 live all connected, then another with a neutral (may be sheathed or taped red) connected to the live on the bulb. This last one is the switch. There will also be earth.

Beyond this you may be better to get a spark on to help…

Edit: depending on the age of your wiring you may have brown/blue instead of red/black.

iainc

ok, ta. The pop sounded like a bulb blowing, and it was. I’ll put the power off and look behind the fitting and in the switches.

wires etc should be fine – house 10 yrs old

iainc

found it methinks ! light unit taken off ceiling – on the back of it the blue and brown appear to have come together and had a bit of a ‘fusing’, with some crispy black bits. all removed now, B&Q tomorrow for a new light fitting. thanks all

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘numpty house electric question – help please !’ is closed to new replies.