Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Numpty DIY question – do plastic central heating pipes bend?
  • amodicumofgnar

Going to do some painting. The central heating in the house is all plastic pipes – not encountered this before. The radiators feel like they should just lift and lay away from the wall. So…

Can you just lift the heater and pivot it around its base? I’m working on the pipes flexing enough to allow this. I’d still be proping the heater up off the ground by a few inches.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Disconnect it, properly.

Or invest in lots of buckets.

prettygreenparrot

They don’t bend much before ‘yielding’. And if the joints aren’t connected perfectly you can get pretty wet pretty soon.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Do it. What’s the worst that could happen? If the worst dose happen just say man on the internet said it will be ok.

It will be ok.

amodicumofgnar

Life was so much easier with copper, thanks, will go for caution.

Stoner
    Free Member

Life was so much easier with copper,

why? would you have “just lift the heater and pivot it around its base” if it was copper pipes?

amodicumofgnar

No, because its fairly obvious they aren’t going to flex.

Edit – thats half a statement. its flippin obvious they arent going to flex where as its not, to me, with a plastic pipe.

project
    Free Member

The pipes have a bendability in them its where they conect to the joints that dont, so easy to disconect a joint and then whoosh, dirty brown water everywhere.

Bear
    Free Member

As a plumber I can assure you life wasn’t easier with copper……

(although still like getting my blowtorch out and doing some nice soldering, especially on bigger copper pipework)….

Stoner
    Free Member

Im still novice enough to love soldering copper. Except when trying to do it with filthy “college” flux. 3x shots at one joint earlier this week because of crap in the flux grrrr.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just surprised the rad drops aren’t in copper then onto plaggy under the floor.

amodicumofgnar

Ok, it terms of looking at something and knowing how complex its going to be to do. Copper was much simpler – you look at it and know its going to be a job to sort. Plastic on the other hand looked like it might just be as simple as… and it turns out its not.

Bear
    Free Member

Stoner – bad workman and all that……..!

(I wash my brush out when the two guys who work for me have used it as it usually looks like a road sweepers broom!)

Stoner
    Free Member

yeah yeah 🙂

though I did get introduced to some weird fittings – ones that you have to flare square cut (hacksaw not slice) copper pipe to take a large internal brass olive. Apparently course setters need students to meet these things, despite them costing £10 a fitting and no one uses them! 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d say if you can lift the rads up then you should be able to move them back an inch or two to paint behind without problem, have something to rest them on, they are not light.

Stoner
    Free Member

tool for the job 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’ve just photo=shopped that 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

I think I sat on it actually

Bear
    Free Member

Stoner – did the call them Kingley fittings? Still got the old tools lurking somewhere in my garage. Never used them though!

amodicumofgnar

A long brush looks more useful than a long stand

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Tried and tested flux applicator

Stoner
    Free Member

teacher didnt say, but having looked for “kingley” and found this
    http://www.theplumbersmerchants.com/securex-fittings.asp
    then yes, that looks like it. Teacher had a drift swager made up so I could anneal the tube and then flare it to match the olive.

Stoner
    Free Member

Tried and tested flux applicator

my t-shirt has some very funky colours on it from wiping my “applicator” off on it 😯

Bear
    Free Member

Paul – if you put flux on with that then I’d sack you. Have you seen what it can do to your skin?

Stoner
    Free Member

tastes foul too

Bear
    Free Member

hurts when it goes in you eye….

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Bear – Member

Paul – if you put flux on with that then I’d sack you. Have you seen what it can do to your skin

It turned my overalls from blue to a red colour when I was 16. It stung like **** too. I learned quickly not to do it 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

what’s in flux anyway?

cbike
    Free Member

Lift it off and rest it on some blocks, stop faffing and get it done.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Numpty DIY question – do plastic central heating pipes bend?’ is closed to new replies.