Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Numpty computer speed advice required
  • fullbouncebill
    Free Member

My computers "Virtual memory" is low. :roll:Is there any way of increasing the speed of my computer,apart from adding more memory? 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Switch some stuff off.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Delete some unnecessary files.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fullbouncebill
    Free Member

Hmm,tried that and reebooted it across the room,I was thinking it would be something less obvious,is there a way of clearing internet searches, apart from the internet options banner under tools?

I think theres something wrong as i have moved all photos/memory maps/large files etc and its still slow.

i am running avast antivirus.

🙁

bruneep

Running windows?
    defrag and then if that disna help try…

If your system is low on virtual memory. To ensure that Windows runs properly, increase the size of your virtual memory paging file
    Windows XP

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    2. In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
    3. In the Performance pane, click Settings.
    4. In the Performance Options dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
    5. In the Virtual memory pane, click Change.
    6. Change the Initial size value and the Maximum size value to a higher value, click Set, and then click OK.
    7. Click OK to close the Performance Options dialog box, and then click OK to close the System Properties dialog box.

fullbouncebill
    Free Member

Thanks bruneep,thats great.

fullbouncebill
    Free Member

yey,thats better. 😀

Is there an ideal value? it was 280mbs,now set to 300mbs

Chris
    Free Member

Download Ccleaner, it is free and will help clear out temp files, internet junk etc

ccleaner

MinishMan
    Free Member

Virtual memory is RAM, not your hard drive space, so deleting files won’t help it.

To augment the proper RAM in your computer, Windows also sets aside a portion of the hard drive to act as RAM (paging file). Of course this is much slower than actual RAM, but necessary.

So to increase your "virtual memory", either buy more RAM and install it into the computer, increase your paging file as detailed above, or:
    press windows key+r
    -> type in msconfig into "run" box
    -> go to the "startup" tab
    -> Anything that your not sure why it’s there, give the process name a Google and disable it if you don’t see anything saying it’s essential.

This will mean less programs are running all the time in the background, they all use up virtual memory.

Generally, you want your paging file to be 2/3 of the amount of proper RAM in your system, but if that’s too little, just increase until it isn’t

MinishMan
    Free Member

I second CCleaner, awsome little program, also makes stopping those startup programs a lot easier to do than in msconfig!

Chris
    Free Member

Yeah I know that ccleaner will not help his low v memory but the software should help speed his machine up a little. He did ask about cleaning out his internet history as well so I suspect that he has never done that before so it should help also

GT85

Check out what your virus checker is doing. My PC slows to a virtual stop running zone alarm as it runs the virus check in the background. Also windows updates can be a pain. I bought myself a Mac 12 months ago and have not had any problems since!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Numpty computer speed advice required’ is closed to new replies.