Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Numpty Android phone question.
  • pearlbaz
    Free Member

Wifey’s just got a Samsung android phone, and as a computer literate bloke, I’ve had to spend some time rigorously testing it (as one does). I have set it up with the home wireless network, but when connecting, I cannot tell whether I’m using the phone network (and using her airtime minutes), or the home wifi connection. It’s a Galaxy S, and I’m sure they all have their ‘funny ways’, but can someone pleeeease help me, before I use up all her mobile network allocation, and get it taken away!
    Cheers
    Baz

allthepies
    Free Member

If you’ve got Wifi turned on and it’s connected (the Wifi symbol will be present in the status bar at top of screen) then the phone will use Wifi in preference to mobile.

(Fellow Galaxy S user)

donsimon
    Free Member

The wi-fi connection will override the 3g automatically.
    [hijack] What’s the Galaxy S like as a mobile device on a day to day basis?[/hijack]

pearlbaz
    Free Member

why, thank you fellow user. I nominate you as our new phone guru, and expect you to be available 24/7 😉
    ta,
    Baz

spooky_b329

Remember to turn off bluetooth, wireless, gps when not required, they are all power hungry and she’ll be charging it twice a day otherwise!

mrmo
    Free Member

i got a Galaxy S a few weeks ago, they are available quite cheaply now, and i like it alot. Big screen so can actually watch iplayer, play angry birds and the like on it. But it isn’t as big as i was worried it would be. Battery life is not brilliant but is to be expected.

oh and it seems to work quite well as a phone as well.

Northwind

I keep the mobile network switched off entirely so I know exactly when I’m using my data allowance… Very quick to switch back on so it’s not really much of a hassle.

Conqueror
    Free Member

Theres a free app called quick settings that is very handy..

puts all the connectivity controls in one place (so its quick to enable and disable data, bluetooth and wifi)

If you are really worried you can change the APN address so instead of data.vodafone.co.uk or what ever it is

datadymnfumdfm.vodafonexfgndfyh.co.uk

that should disable it whatever the situation is nicely

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

The fountain of galaxy S knowledge.

Flaperon

If you have a root around in the Android Market there are some really good bandwidth monitoring apps which will track how much you’re downloading over the wireless network.

You’d have to go nuts to chew through any reasonable limit though, and if it’s advertised as “unlimited” they can’t cut you off or charge more, just reduce the speed.

DT78
    Free Member

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

You can put widgets (fancy shortcuts) on the homescreen to turn on/off wireless & mobile data with one button press.

MadBillMcMad

I use this datacounter widget.

very useful.

try the maverick mapping app as well – fabulosey.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Numpty Android phone question.’ is closed to new replies.