Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 140 total)
  • Number of PhDs
  • juan
    Free Member

Dr rkr – computational chemistry

Oh a fellow geeky chemist 😉 What was your thesis title?

Aidan
    Free Member

Dr Aidan – Computer Science

But I left the cube farm behind.

chewkw
    Free Member

😈 Irrelevant stuff me.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Dr Munqe-chick (esq) something to do with material science catalysts. Something I clearly don’t understand!! Mrs MC just a BA Hons…arts though

MrNutt
    Free Member

Dr Nutt, Advanced Truancy and Wayward Nature

andy_hew
    Free Member

Dr andy_hew here. PhD in Geography (Political/Economic). Did a couple of years post docs before getting fed up with short-term contracts. Joined local government to get some long term financial security … 😯

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I’m a relative thicky only a Masters Degree in communications. But I married a PhD in Immunology, which I think is better cos its allowed me to retire at 40 🙂

To add to mema, I get a lot of fuuny looks when I say its Mr and Dr, everyone assumes I bat the other way.

FB-ATB

Zokes

“Given some of the stories that make it to press, I’m slightly worried as to how easy it is to be a real doctor, not just a pretend one like me…”

I think the PhD/DPhil drs are the real ones and the medical drs nicked the term. Well that’s what my Headmaster said. Guess what doctorate he had!

DrRSwank
    Free Member

DrRSwank

As for what my PhD is in is best left unwritten……

r0bh
    Free Member

Dr r0bh, High Energy Physics

i.e. that big thing in France/Switzerland that spins particles round very quickly then smashes them together.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Dr CharlieMungus – Fluid Mechanics and Flow Visualisation, reporting for duty, Sir!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I think the PhD/DPhil drs are the real ones and the medical drs nicked the term. Well that’s what my Headmaster said. Guess what doctorate he had!

Well, when the medics change jobs, they stop being doctors, the rest of us are doctors even when we become unemployed.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Dr Coffeeking – Robotics/EEE – defected after my more mech-eng related MEng!

HansRey

MEng atm, but i’ll be starting a PhD on Ti-processing soon 🙂 I’m surprised to see few Material Engineering types… for all this talk over steel, Ti, alu and cabrone frames…

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Dr R. Gasket

Operational Research (Lancaster)

tonyg2003

Well, when the medics change jobs, they stop being doctors, the rest of us are doctors even when we become unemployed.

To 99.9% of the population out there we are PhDs and medics are doctors. To argue it any other way is pointless.

LabMonkey
    Free Member

(Almost) Dr LabMonkey – exercise physiology

CaptJon
    Free Member

Dr CaptJon, Phd in economic geography (nods head at Dr andy_hew). Currently a lecturer.

Incidentally, i had a maths teach called Dr Captain.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Yes, well of course Ph.Ds are much easier to come by nowadays. The only ones worth anything will have been those achieved in the last millennium. The were much harder in the old days.

andy_hew
    Free Member

[]Dr CaptJon, Phd in economic geography (nods head at Dr andy_hew)

Where did you do your PhD and where are you lecturing Dr CaptJon?

darrell
    Free Member

Dr Darrell, Ph.D in Geochemistry

STL

Dr. STL Chemistry with emphasis in Biochem.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Dr Foster, PhD in walking into surprisingly deep puddles.

Chortle

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

Dr NDT, analytical chemistry. Left that behind me now, but I do miss tinkering with the big noisy mass spectrometers sometimes.

finbar
    Free Member

With a bit lot of luck and a tailwind i’ll be dr finbar by May. Palaeoenvironmental reconstruction – i’m looking at the physical environments modern human behaviour originated in.

It’s reassuring so many of you have actually finished the bl00dy things!

juan
    Free Member

Well prepare yourself for the post PhD blues 😉
    To be fair I think so far my PhD years were the best 3 years of my life. I discovered another country, another culture, plenty of new people, singlespeeding and I did some pretty stupid things too.
    Not that my PhD is helping me in feeling the fridge in anyway…

slunk
    Free Member

Very nearly Dr Slunk (submitting next week, all being well) – wastewater chemical engineering. It’s been lovely.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Yes, well of course Ph.Ds are much easier to come by nowadays. The only ones worth anything will have been those achieved in the last millennium. The were much harder in the old days

Nah, think of all that extra knowledge that has to be incorporated and read up on – the earlier the PhD the less difficult to do something new and exciting…. 😆

geoffj

There is someone on here (I can’t remember who), has a PhD, and/or does research into the beer goggle effect. I jest you not!

juan
    Free Member

yup what coffeeking says 😉
    In my field in the time where you use to pay the same as an house for a computer you only had an handful of different method.
    Nowadays from the top of my head you have
    Docking (rigid, flexi, semi flexi and split)
    MD (Umbrella sampling, SA, REMD, RETI, TI-REX and other exotic method)
    MC (same as above RETI REMC, FEDTI plus all the different sampling method)
    You have basillion of basis set for QM
    QM/MM
    Coarse grain (once again with all different integrator and variation)
    And I am damn sure I forgot some 😉

spokebloke
    Free Member

If you’re reading this thinking ‘what’s a PDH?’ and ‘where do I live?’ – I’m bringing the average intelligence quota down with you.

anagallis_arvensis

I say my PhD was plant community ecology, but really it was about cowshite and hay meadows

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract;jsessionid=D3C7BBA43FF33B51E4F8D3D7D8C15F6A.tomcat1?fromPage=online&aid=706060

brakeswithface

Juan – rigid docking?

Junkyard
    Free Member

can I chip in for starting but not completing mine …I did get a lot of research done in that week though

A_A I always knew you talked a load of manure I just never knew to what level

baronspudulike
    Free Member

Dr Baronspudulike, material sciences/radio-chemistry, currently working away in a related industry after a short while post-doc’ing. Still don’t know anything it’s just people think you do with less persuasion now.

GJP
    Free Member

Dr P, but we already have one of these on STW, so I guess it has to be Dr GJP.

PhD Management Sciences – Loughborough University of Technology

Skippy

Dr Skippy – Genetics, seem to be the only one so far but a lot of scientists…

digiphotoneil
    Free Member

Dr Digiphotoneil of obscure uses of electrical generators…

JonM
    Free Member

Dr JonM Invertebrate Cryobiology.

chewkw
    Free Member

Working part-time and doing PhD is no fun at all so unless you have a strong desire to do a PhD, I think it’s a waste of time as the return you are going to get might not worth all the effort you put in.

Want to become a lceturer? You need to publish (in 3 star journals and not those journals your circle of friends created) and on top of that you must bring in “funding” for your department otherwise you will jumping from one institution to another forever …

Worst case the job depends on funding and there is no certainty when the fund will dry up but it will eventually.

👿

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 140 total)

The topic ‘Number of PhDs’ is closed to new replies.