Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 114 total)
  • Nukeproof Mega – Build in progress
  • rlawrie23
    Free Member

Just some pics of the mega mid build, need to shorten the rear brake and get some more gear cable outer and its ready to go.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

seatpost 😯

backhander
    Free Member

Lovely looker. What did that build set you back?
    I’d be very interested to hear an honest account of how that bad boy climbs.

Deveron53
    Free Member

ooo, it’s the colour of my nan’s piss! You won’t attract the klunge on that!
    Heh, I was gonna get a yellow one, glad I got a black. Photos of my completed build will be up tomorrow.
    Welcome to the Mega club!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Purple!! Did you nip out in the delorean 😉

hugh_b
    Free Member

Sorry for yet another sizing question, how tall are you and what size is that?

Thanks

Hugh

rlawrie23
    Free Member

Full build – £1800 (with a couple used parts)

I’ll report back on how it climbs, geometry seems good though, paint finish is very good, and the graphics are much better than on the black and silver frames that I seen today.

Rorschach – You can’t see in this picture but I have purple chainring bolts and inner ring too!

rlawrie23
    Free Member

Hugh, its a medium and im 5’11”.

cubemeup
    Free Member

looks mint fairplay

Hairychested
    Free Member

I’m trying to see what I dislike about the bike and apart from being undecided about the saddle there’s not much I’d change. Maybe the handlebars’ colour?

hugh_b
    Free Member

Thanks for that, I’m 6ft and hoping a medium will fit ok for the climbs as I prefer a smaller frame.

No doubt the seat will go high enough for yourself but is there any post to spare?

Nice build by the way, looks really nice in yellow and black.

rlawrie23
    Free Member

Hugh, there’s plenty more seatpost there (400mm seatpost), I reckon the medium would suit you fine.

grum
    Free Member

Looks ace, love the garish yellow, but that seatpost is wrong wrong wrong. Surely a ‘mega’ bike needs a dropper seatpost anyway.

_tom_
    Free Member

Looks nice, though I would prefer the bars to match the seatpost if I’m being picky 😛

hugh_b
    Free Member

Thanks again….may just go for it then!

rlawrie23
    Free Member

Grum – There will be a Reverb on it soon as I have the cash, not to worry.

Despite the how much of a stir the purple seatpost has caused, it’s well made, light, with a good clamp and at £22 nothing comes close.

mushrooms
    Free Member

Front tyre on the wrong way.

james
    Free Member

“Front tyre on the wrong way”
    Not if you want better rolling and braking?
    Its not like HRs ride terribly that way around

“Despite the how much of a stir the purple seatpost has caused, it’s well made, light, with a good clamp and at £22 nothing comes close”
    Superstar?
    I dunno, I’d say this was close:
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/SPRILOG2/ritchey-logic-2-bolt-seat-post

RealMan
    Free Member

Dunno if its the angle, but the BB looks really high?

Seatpost looks awesome. Purple lockrings for the grips and it would look sick.

mushrooms
    Free Member

Actually they highroller will roll and brake better if mounted correctly. You would run it the wrong way on the rear for better grip.

james
    Free Member

I can’t quite make it out in the picture, but I thought it was mounted for braking/rolling? ie ramps facing forward?

float
    Free Member

that looks sweet 😀

also yeah, change the front tyre round

walleater

Maybe my cheapo laptop screen is playing tricks on me, but it looks the right way around to me, i.e. with ramps on the leading edges, and if that is the case, Maxxis tend to agree!

http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Downhill/High-Roller.aspx

Hairychested
    Free Member

And when you decide to sell the seatpost, please let me know (as long as it’s 27.2mm).

forge197
    Free Member

I think that looks nice, no view on the tyres just run them how you like 🙂

mandog

it’s sweet

mandog

you can probably tell the maxxis is the wrong way round as the logo should be on the other side of the wheel if mounted correctly.

mamadirt
    Free Member

That looks great – loving the yellow and purple combo 8)

Rorschach
    Free Member

Too small frame+steep seat angle+in-line seat post+50mm stem=Hitting knees on bars?

peachos
    Free Member

you so need a set of these up front…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Will someone who’s built one up just get out there and ride the bike!!! (and report back)

Deveron53
    Free Member

It’s raining! Oh, alright I’ll go after lunch!
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/6653169/

flow
    Free Member

Damn ugly!

uplink
    Free Member

Will someone who’s built one up just get out there and ride the bike!!! (and report back)

No point, they won’t report back that it’s crap or even mediocre even if it is.
    They’ve bought the dream and stumped up the cash, so it will be the best thing ever

sorry for the cynicism 😉

float
    Free Member

Damn ugly!

i cant tell if youre being serious 😕

past experience would tell me you are…

Deveron53
    Free Member

Uplink has a good point. You could say that about any proud new owner of any top-end bike. After the saving, the parts collecting and the waiting, it WILL be your dream bike! I measured it up against my Yeti 575 that I rode for 4 years and it became ‘part of me’, the measurements were similar but it’s like any new bike, you will adapt to the changes of head angle, stem length, chainstay length and hopefully the going up and the going down will be an improvement. Only an extended week-long test ride would ever have told you anything useful along with tyre, stem and other tweaks. A couple of hours around a trail centre would have given only a superficial impression and could have put you off a great bike because some easily changeable bit of setup was off.
    I rode my Mega up and down the street today and it felt weird because I’ve been riding a hybrid for 4 weeks. I borrowed an Epic last week for an evening ride and decided it was totally poo! But it could have been badly set up.

flow
    Free Member

I cant tell if youre being serious

Yep

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

do they melt if it rains?

rlawrie23
    Free Member

Just to clarify the front tyre is correctly mounted, as maxxis intended, but there are maxxis logos on both sides of the front tyre(as it is new) and only one on the rear(as it is a few years old).

hugh_b
    Free Member

Decided to go for one and picked mine up from Nirvana cycles today!

Also purchased some lyrik coil 170mm forks from evans but having second thoughts….

What size forks is the frame designed around with what headset? Don’t really want it any slacker so thining of returning the forks and getting the solo air version and chucking a spacer in!

Thanks

Hugh

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘Nukeproof Mega – Build in progress’ is closed to new replies.