Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Nukeproof Complete Bikes
  • honourablegeorge

Have they messed up? The bike below is over a thousand Euro more than the Canyon or YT Industries DH bikes, with a vastly inferior spec.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=75656

julianwilson
    Free Member

I think that’s the price it’s supposed to be, given the prices of the ‘pro’ build and the complete Mega.

They will say they have much more r&d gone into it (certainly lots in Dirt mag whose team ride/rode them iirc, and lots on this forum in years past from Brant Richards about it): they also have advertised extensively on the interweb and in bike mags, had their own hotlines exhibition in central london and have a race team to support. All costs! I don’t think it’s quite the same for the likes of Rose/Canyon/YT.

tomhoward

Its CRC, they’ll be discounted soon enough.

brant
    Free Member

Canyon and YT are selling direct. Nukeproof is via Hotlines dealers. Higher price inevitable. Looks great though. Very proud of those Nukeproof bikes.

skywalker
    Free Member

Why are all bikes always compared to the blue stripe brands?

chakaping
    Free Member

Not a bad price for the spec really. It’s £600 cheaper than the similar spec Session, more expensive than the Operator, only a shade more than the Saracen (but possibly better specced).

And as julian points out, they do sponsor a WC race team – which won’t be cheap. And it looks cool.

honourablegeorge

brant – Member

Canyon and YT are selling direct. Nukeproof is via Hotlines dealers. Higher price inevitable. Looks great though. Very proud of those Nukeproof bikes.

Just my perception then I guess – I still think of them as CRC’s own-brand stuff… that the frames are so low priced probably feeds into that.

steezysix
    Free Member

Canyon and YT are selling direct. Nukeproof is via Hotlines dealers. Higher price inevitable.

I’m a big fan of the German direct buy brands (got a YT bike myself) but for most people it’s worth paying a bit extra for a bike you can actually touch/sit on before you shell out your money – you can’t do that on the interweb. Also, if my bike breaks (god forbid) I’m going to have to deal with shipping back to Germany myself, not just wheeling it down to my LBS. Upsides and downsides to both. The Nukeproofs are still going to compare favourably to most of the big brands when comes to price.

Blower
    Free Member

still good deal for a bike like that

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I find it’s the branding on Nukeproof’s, the ‘main’ colours and the naming of the products that makes them appear like a cut price brand. Things like Nukeproof Warhead sound a little bit Ben10.

grantway
    Free Member

wood its more than the Orange 5 kitted out
    Is it worth it when the frame is only £ 950 ?

chakaping
    Free Member

Its the dh bike in the link grantway

skywalker
    Free Member

And people moan that Orange are expensive

grantway
    Free Member

chakaping Nope take a look at the link here Mega Complete Bike CRC
    Only with Nukeproof finishing kit !

alpin
    Free Member

Canyon’s Torque FRX Playzone is 1860 quid. its flagship FRX Flashzone is a smidge over 3k.

YT’s Tues is 2199€ which brins it in just under 2k. crazy price for a race ready bike!

both the Torque and the Tues get good reviews in the magazines here in the vaterland. both are big bikes better suited to parks than out-and-out racing. the Nukeproof is, according to a recent test report i read (including the Torque), more of a race bike than it is a park bike.

Toasty

Yes. An Orange Five with SLX/XT and cheap Raceface finishing kit is less than a 160mm bike with X0 gearing and a Reverb.

Why do you expect the Nukeproof to be cheaper? Because it’s not been welded in this country?

The Nukeproof looks like a good deal here, way higher kit than most brands would stick on at that price. The Nukeproof own brand stuff is solid too.

Euro
    Free Member

The Nukeproof looks like a good deal here, way higher kit than most brands would stick on at that price. The Nukeproof own brand stuff is solid too.

Add in ‘staff’ discount (up to 40% for CRC’s own brand stuff) and they’re a complete bargain if you happen to be or know some helpful staff. 😀

grantway
    Free Member

Na Toasty
    Just shows that how much your being ripped off from buying bikes made in Taiwan
    Has Euro says above he can get up to 40% discount from CRC ?

Why do I expect the Nukeproof to be cheaper !
    Pretty simple maths when you have a frame thats £ 950 quid.
    And I would expect it to be cheaper has its all in house kit
    You would expect it to be draping in the Crown jewels for £ 3,399.00p

I am not knocking the frame has I am wanting to test the frame myself

Toasty

No, I’m lost. It sounds more like Orange’s “frame alone” price is hideously overpriced, rather than the full bike is a bargain. In the one you linked, vs an O5 AM (£3k):

X0 chainset (£300) vs Evolve chainset (£100)
    Reverb (£250) vs Evolve Ride XC (£20)
    Avid X0 brakes (£300) vs Avid Elixir 5 (£100)

Both have own brand bars and stems. Simple maths.

Imagine if the O5 frame alone was £2k, that’d make the full bikes even better value!

bwaarp
    Free Member

Yup most frames are hideously overpriced (commencal are a nice example), nukeproof sell the frames for what they are actually worth. The problem with mountain bikers is that they see something being sold at a decent price at they think “cheap = shit”. Apart from the paint job my mega is easily as nicely built as my old mans Nomad.

The Mega Pro was going to be 3k originally, I’m suprised they’ve increased their prices. I bet it’s 1) due to the fact the frames sold like hotcakes 2) They don’t want to be seen as the next Kona as mtbers are mostly affluent 35 year olds with money to spare and a snobbish attitude towards bikes.

Anyhow, through CRC I built up a nicer specced bike than the Pro Mega for £1000 less. The frames are a freaking steal.

chakaping
    Free Member

Frame only is definitely the way to go with the Mega, but the Scalp packages look competitive to me.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Nukeproof Complete Bikes’ is closed to new replies.